Quantcast

Cable cord cutting help

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by mikelav456, Aug 28, 2012.

1. mikelav456

mikelav456 New Member

Hello all,

I have a costar and I am enjoying the overall experience.

We have decided to drop cable but I don't want to lose live TV and pass through functionality while using ota signal. Any (cheap) solutions?

Is there a tuner box I can use that the costar could control? Are there coxial to hdmi converters, or would that not even work?

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Silasrye

Silasrye New Member

I bought a tivo hd for this exact purpose. I'll let you know how it goes. The tivo hd, from what I've read, will let you use it as a tuner with no subscription and no guide. The premier will not. I am also investigating the hdhomerun dual tuner, and plan to use it with plex. That won't give pass through, but will allow me to use as a dvr on another device. Even if I keep both, that's running me about $75 total for both devices, which is cheaper than a stand alone subscription free dvr.

Also, I am switching to the Sony nsz-gs7. I think my results will still be of relevance to you though, but there may be differences. Should get this set up in the next couple of days
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  3. mikelav456

mikelav456 New Member

Great! Please be sure to post your results. Would you be able to use the Tivo as a dvr without a subscription (never had a Tivo)?

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

No, of course not, why would anybody pay for a subscription if you could use TiVo as a DVR without one? With TiVoHD unsubscribed, you have two ATSC tuners and 30 minute buffers on both if used for OTA. I have two TiVoHDs with lifetime subscriptions and one unsubscribed and if all you want is to use the two tuners, it is a great choice in my opinion. The new Premiere with current firmware no longer offers the same functionality as a TiVoHD if unsubscribed but if you can find one with older firmware that allows that and not update it, it will. TiVo hardware is sold at a loss and the business model includes making up the loss and hopefully a profit on the subscription fees. It doesn't work very well, TiVo never makes a profit from operations.

Of course TiVo with a subscription and an antenna on the roof is one great part of a solution to enable cutting the cord but for somebody not wanting to spend much, an unsubscribed TiVo and an antenna is better than nothing. I cut the cord in 2009 and have been using TiVo since then, I added Google TV in 2011, another important part of my solution but not as important as TiVo.

5. mikelav456

mikelav456 New Member

Thanks. Is the TivoHD you reference the series 3? Does it support 1080p?
    Really appreciate all the help.

6. Silasrye

Silasrye New Member

I got a used tivo hd after for $25 after looking for a couple weeks on craigslist. They go around $45 on ebay, no subscription. I would love a subscription but I'm cheap. Used with lifetime seem to go for around $300.

7. Silasrye

Silasrye New Member

Mine is just plain hd, not series 3, but I believe it is practically the same.

I think it can only do 720p or 1080i. I think that might be all you can get OTA.

8. ChrisG8

TiVoHD is series 3, the Premiere is series 4. There was a series 3 model prior to the TiVoHD which will also work the same without a subscription. The Premiere will do 1080p but for OTA that point is moot, nothing exists at 1080p as far as I know and I sure don't expect that to change during the lifetime of that hardware. Most displays will deinterlace 1080i well enough that I wouldn't care about that difference between TiVoHD and TiVo Premiere for OTA. Since a refurbished TiVo Premiere with lifetime is available from TiVo direct during promotions at great prices, around $450, that is what I would buy if I was in the market now.

9. racketier

racketier New Member

I bought a TiVo premiere for this very purpose. Without a subscription, it still passes through the OTA channels and you can pause and rewind tv (30min buffer on either end). If you pull up the guide it will show you what's playing next, but it won't show you what's on right now. So the guide function is mostly disabled. You can't use season pass or any external apps to record anything, but I think you may be able to manually record what is currently playing.

After a few days I ended up biting the bullet and paying $20 to get a non-occurring TiVi subscription. I love having the guide back, but the Costar still doesn't seem to integrate with the TiVo to learn the channels. This means the Costar TV & Movies app won't list anything that's on tv, which is a shame. The Costar remote does work fairly with with the TiVo, although its use isn't always intuitive. For instance, sometimes I get stuck in a menu and have to reach for my actual TiVo remote to get out of it and back to live tv.

10. ChrisG8

With the most recent Premiere firmware you can no longer get the 30 minute buffer and therefore no trick play features, pause live TV, rew and ff without a subscription. I assume all Premieres available at retail now will have that firmware.

11. racketier

racketier New Member

How most recent are we talking? I updated my Premiere when I got it and was able to pause/play live TV this past weekend. I just subscribed to the service on Sunday.

12. ryanwebb

ryanwebb New Member

You can get a Tivo Premier subscription for OTA for $9.99/mo, which is what I do. When signing up for the Tivo sub, I typed in code 'antenna' and it only activates the guide for OTA. If you hook up cable, you would then have to pay the full $19.99/mo price. This has worked great for me for the past year or so. I have it integrated somewhat into my Co-Star, the co-star remote works the Tivo just fine, except for the skip forward/backward buttons, which really irks me. I have the TV/Movies app working good, just told it I subscribed to DirecTV and selected only the OTA channels.

13. ChrisG8

I assume you had a brief free trial period if your TiVo Premiere was a recent purchase, I don't recall the period it is allowed to function but with the 14.9.2.2 software update TiVo removed the 30 minute Live TV buffers and disabled trick play for any recordings in the My Shows List for unsubscribed boxes. Had you not subscribed, those functions would not have existed for long.

Premiere WITHOUT TiVo Service - TiVo Community

14. ChrisG8

Yes, I often forget to mention that but I would still prefer to buy a lifetime subscription for $400.

15. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

FYI, Co-Star (& all GTV STBs) will upscale video signal to 1080p via HDMI Pass-through. ( Apps like Netflix streams in1080p native).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  16. racketier

racketier New Member

The $10 a month for OTA would be perfect for me, however I thought that deal only worked if you bought a TiVo new from Solid Signal. Did you purchase your TiVo from a different source?

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-tivo-offers-9-99-month-subscription-ota.html

17. ryanwebb

ryanwebb New Member

I bought mine from Tivo for $99 with a 1 year commitment. My 1yr just passed, they sent me an email last week saying I was no longer on contract, but would continue to get the 9.99/mo price.

18. racketier

racketier New Member

Ah, okay. Dang. I got my Premier on Ebay for $60. I think I'm out of luck for the deal then.

19. ChrisG8

Maybe, maybe not but if you sign up for service at TiVo.com, put the ANTENNA promo in the appropriate box for coupons/promotions and see what happens. Also if interested in lifetime service, try the PLSR code and see what happens, it may still result in a $100 discount for lifetime.

20. RandomBlue

RandomBlue New Member

FYI, I just tested this and ANTENNA doesn't work but PLSR does. Decided to go ahead and get lifetime with that since used boxes with lifetime subscriptions still sell for quite a bit. Basically you'll make your money back if you use the box for just a few months.