Quantcast

Cable Card (M-Card) Devices with Revue

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by LandArchitect, Aug 5, 2012.

1. LandArchitect

LandArchitect New Member

Hi,

I currently use Google TV as my primary media source but have been considering getting a basic cable subscription with comcast. I would use an antennia, but I live in the hills of West Virginia and only get 2 WV public channels. I don't want to pay a monthly rental fee for Comcast's DVR, and was looking into using a Tivo device or the Silicondust Homerum Prime HD. Both accept an M-CARD but the homerun prime doesn't seem to work with google tv....only PC's (windows media player). I don't want to pay a subscription fee for a Tivo.

Does anyone know of any simple devices that accept a M-Cards (cable cards) that you can connect to the Revue? Recording shows isn't important to me. I just need something that will read an M-Card and connect to my Revue. I would then use Google Tv's channel browser.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

As I always say, you don't have to pay a monthly fee to use TiVo. I have used TiVo since October 2000 and never paid a penny of monthly fees and I suspect I never will. It does require buying a lifetime subscription and the premium compared to any other DVR is easily justified in my opinion. I paid $500 in 2009 for TiVoHD with lifetime subscription but I have received offers from TiVo several times this year, a refurbished 320GB TiVo Premiere has been available for $450 with lifetime subscription. The second best DVR is not even close in my opinion but if you want to go cheap, a Comcast DVR is probably the least expensive option.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I used to use a DVD recorder (that cost about $100) connected to a Comcast cable box. It didn't have the bells and whistles of a DVR (and couldn't record anything in HD). But there were no monthly fees and blank DVDs are very inexpensive. Plus I got a permanent copy of shows I recorded (well as permanent as DVDs last - so far its been years and they still play fine).

Occasionally some channels/programs were blocked from being recorded - I found it to be mainly shows on HBO - most everything else I was able to record onto a DVD.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  4. ChrisG8

As far as thinking you won't want to record, with only a basic cable package or OTA, ability to timeshift is really important.

5. ChrisG8

I can't imagine a solution without HD is one anybody would accept these days. I don't think a DVD or Blu-ray recorder exists for the US market for HD recording yet so something with a hard drive makes the most sense to me. Of course a PC would work and I believe it is possible to get Google TV to control it but a DVR like TiVo is easier and better in my opinion.

6. lschroeder

lschroeder New Member

I have an old XP SP3 pc connected to my sony 40" GTV by hdmi. I have Beyond TV link and NPVR running on it. I use BTV link to record Silicon Dust HR Prime shows. I had to do some modifications to my BTV server to get this to work. I use NPVR to play live cable shows on the XP SP3 through hdmi on the sony GTV. This old pc is a 3.4 hz P4 with a ATI 2600 AGP GPU. I have to periodically (30 minutes) refresh to use NPVR in live mode. The NPVR window's app can also work as a dvr. This will play copy freely channels. Copy freely channels depands on your cable provider and your location. My is comcast and all channels except HBO, Showtime, Encore, are copy freely. Copy freely does not mean unecrypted. Except for the OTA comcast channels are my live channels are encrypted. The HBO, Showtime, Encore and other premiums channels such as Stars are copy once and block from BTV and NPVR. Windows 7 on the same machine with allow live playback and recording of these channels on that machine or an xbox 360 extender. I have a new PC windows 7 on order to replace the XP SP 3 HTPC. Will let you know how this works. With the new HTPC windows 7 technically I probably would not need the sony GTV except for a monitor.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

7. LandArchitect

LandArchitect New Member

I'm not seeking advice on how to record a show. I'm looking for a set top box (cable box) alternative. Something that will accept an M-Card and have an HDMI out that I could then connect to my Logitech Revue. I don't want to pay a rental fee to comcast to use their DVR nor pay for an expensive Tivo that I wouldn't use the features for (since Id connect it to my logitech revue)

Is it possible to buy any DVR and put an MCard into it, then connect it to my revue?

Thanks