Quantcast

Cable Box Rebooting when going through Revue

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by myriad46, Sep 19, 2011.

1. myriad46

myriad46 New Member

A little background:

Time Warner Cable - NY Capital Region
    HD DVR - Scientific Atlantic, Samsung and Cisci Explorer 8640 HDC (current)
    Sharp Aquos 720P
    Onkyo 7.1 w/HDMA switching
    Logitech Revue

I started having problems when I bought and hooked up my Revue. The way I have it set up: cable line into DVR, HDMI to Revue, HDMI to channel 1 of 2 Onkyo Receiver, HDMI to TV; Optical audio from revue to Onkyo. Before having the googletv, I was using the stereo to pass through HDMI to the television between the cable box and dvd player with no issues.

The problems started that the DVR would nto record properly. The recordings would come out pixelated, unwatchable, or altogether cut off before they ended. The cable box would also regularly reboot. When turned back on it would be back to channel 1 (regardless of the setting to having it go to the last channel). The signal was tuned, boosted, wires replaced, etc several times. The signal is now officially good!

I have tried 2 different Samsung boxes and am now using a Cisco box. I finally tried taking the Revue out of the loop and no problems. Not sure where to start. I've tried 2 separate power circuits to rule out voltage/ground problems. I think next I may try different HDMI cables. Could it be the stereo HDMI pass through? Prior to the google tv I was always using optical audio out from the cable box. Now it takes audio from the HDMI and then I get optical audio out from the google tv.

Just looking for some more ideas or if anyone else has had such a problem with cable boxes. Thanks.

2. mcdonamw

mcdonamw New Member

I have essentially this same setup and same issue. Have you found the problem? I haven't yet removed the Revue out of the loop to verify if it is indeed the issue or not, but I do suspect it may be. Ever since putting it in the mix I've had odd issues. I don't know if it's the use of the Revue itself of the addition of HDMI (I was using component cables prior). I'd really hate to unhook all of my stuff just to test a theory.

Here are my symptoms...
    • I occasionally have video/audio drop outs, only when source through Revue
      • Rebooting the cable box resolves it for a while.
    • Cable box often freezes entirely
      • Most often happens when trying to play a recorded show.. progress bar stays at 0:00, nothing plays, box is frozen.
      • Then box reboots itself automatically after about a minute or two of being frozen and then all is fine again.

3. myriad46

myriad46 New Member

I stopped using the Stereo HDMI passthrough and everything behaves. I think it had a problem passing through the Revue and then passing through the Stereo. Too many switches. Cable guy (senior tech) had no ideas. He was aware of how I had it setup. I haven't experimented further. I guess I'll go back to 12 remotes. It's really pathetic that in this day and age, electronics still don't play nice together.