Quantcast

Buy Co-Star or Pulse, or wait for "supposed" new boxes?

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by derekcentrico, Dec 10, 2012.

1. derekcentrico

derekcentrico New Member

Okay, we've happily had the Revue for two years. Neither of us want to part ways with this baby, but it doesn't stream Play Music very well at all any more. We have a lot of pausing during the playback even after a hard reset and with it hardwired to the gigabit network. Everything else is great.

I'm very curious if we should jump onto the new devices with Google TV bandwagon through the Hisense or Co-star, or should we wait until these assumed devices from ASUS and Netgear surface? I fear buying something now and being SOL for updates as the Revue quickly became. Whilst we got a couple of updates, it lagged far behind in comparison to Sony devices.

Opinions are greatly appreciated as I fumble through what path to choose.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I think the best Google TV devices are yet to come, either the ASUS or Sony NSZ-GP9 so if price isn't a concern, wait and see if one or both are actually released in the US and how well they perform. From what I have read, I think the Sony NSZ-GS7 is worth the premium compared to the Vizio Co-Star but I don't have any first hand experience with either, I am still happily running the first generation boxes without complaint.

3. wwsiralexd

wwsiralexd New Member

I know I am not answering your question, but the Co-star is better than the Revue. I expect newer devices will be better.

4. derekcentrico

derekcentrico New Member

My goal is to stay around the $100 mark plus or minus a few bucks and shipping... I'd assume ASUS and Netgear would be in that range to compete well. But, I know that some products take months to show up even after being announced. I don't want to wait until summer to have a device that can effectively stream Play Music to my home theater system. I'd get Sony's current device, but it's $65 higher than my budget-ish.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

No way the ASUS model is going to be anywhere near $100, at least the one being discussed here recently. If there is a budget ASUS model coming, I have seen nothing mentioned about it. If $100 is the budget, I would buy the Hisense Pulse and take my chances with it.

6. derekcentrico

derekcentrico New Member

I have not been observing the rumor mill except for an article stating its existence and dongle cheap format. I'm sad now...

7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Just so ya know...

I listen to hours of music from various sources on websites and apps. I have yet to experience pauses. Pandora, Heart Radio, Slacker, Vevo, etc., all play flawlessly. My broadband speed is only 20-25 MBs. I also enjoy hours of movies from Netflix, Amazon Instant Videos, HBO Go, Max Go, etc. Never had a pause. After 4 or 5 hours watching HBO Go I will need to reboot. But I think all small client devices will require some kind of clearing of cache after heavy use.

I'd recommend checking how you have your system set up before making the change. If it is your setup, you will have to adjust it no matter which device you switch to.

Just saying...

Carl

8. derekcentrico

derekcentrico New Member

Right, I don't experience ANY other problems whatsoever with the Revue. Netflix, Amazon, TV, Pandora, everything goes great and is snappy without pause. Google Play Music is my only hindrance. I spoke with the Play Music techs no the phone and via email. They insist that the device is just old and that it probably isn't capable of handling the streaming of the music any longer as the backend for streaming is more robust, cache needy, etc.

I do not stream in high quality. The Revue is connected via gold plated CAT7 to a gigabit router on a 60Mbp/s down connection. It does this freezing crap in Play Music with all other devices shut off. It has all updates.

9. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

I've noticed this phenomenon on other devices I've had over the years. The devices always had the most problems w/the sponsor sites. Windows Live caused the MSNTV 2 to crash. Google Maps was problematic for some time before Google found the fix. Why the Logitech Revue can play all compatible media w/out a problem from all over the web, and be deemed too old to stream music from Google's own Play Store is beyond me.

I'm not buying Foolgle's bull...

Carl

10. Scarpad

Scarpad New Member

I ordered the Hisense Box today, i figure I canalways move it to my second tv and buy a better box when its released

11. rlivin

rlivin New Member

I have had 2 of the costar boxes and now i have the sony gs7. The sony is alot better than the costar imo.