Quantcast

Buy a GS8 now or wait?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by doharris, Dec 26, 2013.

1. doharris

doharris New Member

Looking for advice on going ahead and getting a GS8 now or if I should wait? What does the announcement of Android TV mean for current Google TV devices? Will they still be supported? How long will a GS8 be worth having if the Jelly Bean update doesn't materialize?

I had a Revue a couple years ago and loved it (most of the time), but I got rid of it during a move and need to get some kind of streaming back on my tv.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I would wait at least until CES on January 7th - 10th - because there is likely to be some Android TV announcements then - and you will have more information on which to base your decision.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I heard Best Buy has the NSZ-GS8 for $100 with a $15 gift card but I haven't confirmed that first hand. If true, I say buy now although that doesn't mean there won't be something better next year but if you buy next year, something better may be available the following year and on and on meaning there is always a reason to wait if you are the type that won't buy because of fear there will something new available in the future. I am still using the original Sony model, the NSZ-GT1, and it works great for my needs and I expect to be able to say the same thing in a couple of years. I also started with the Revue but switched to the Sony models controlled by the Revue K700 keyboard, I don't think the Revue processor is quite up to the task, at least for the way I want to use Google TV.

4. doharris

doharris New Member

Thanks. Waiting for CES is probably the prudent thing to do.

Although I do have about $40 in Best Buy reward points so if they have it for $100 I might not pass it up.

5. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

The price of a GS8 is less than two months of cable. Once you get to month three you are ahead of the game. Most people pay about 70 bucks a year for equipment lease fees. If you cut the cord with cable you can get any device you want and never have to worry.

6. AAMAA

AAMAA New Member

I advise you to think
    A device that has a system Android 4.2
    But Sony does not have only 3.2

7. ChrisG8

True although there is certainly no universal agreement that Google TV Android 4.2.2 is an improvement over Google TV Android 3.2x. Some things are better, others worse although I tend to think overall 4.2.2 is better. I would probably be happy with either but I only have 3.2x

• Like Like x 2
  8. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Also, it's important to know exactly what you want to use it for. Maybe the Apps offering from Chromcast may meet your need and all for $30 or so. Check out the following list of supported apps by Chromecast

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/apps.html

9. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Good point. or get both (& plug CC into GS8) - here

HH :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. theslydog

theslydog New Member

11. AAMAA

AAMAA New Member

My friends
    The important point
    Any Google TV device is a device that failed and useless if you can not run XBMC

The point that this program needs to Android 4.2

12. retroben

retroben Active Member

Just wait until I fully reveal the BIG secret that I mentioned in the Google TV Apps Forum earlier.
    An early release can already be found in GTV's Google Play app,but one GTV specific minor issue with a feature has not been fixed yet.
    Other than that,all other functions work perfectly fine.

13. Travel

Travel Active Member

The thing is with that, there's practically no useful information about the possible Nexus box. No specs, no info even on whether the box will have a browser. Imo, at this point, it'll either be a super user friendly box like the reported "Amazon box," which is Roku-like, or it'll be a full-blown box like the Sony GS7/GS8, only shipped with the latest updates including Kat Kat, and it'll have the term "AndroidTV" in the product title.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  14. ChrisG8

Pretty funny and absolute nonsense, XBMC is clunky in my opinion and as far as I can tell used primarily by those interested in piracy and of no use to me, I installed it on a PC after reading about people loving it and uninstalled it quickly. I will take Google TV and the various apps available and servers such as PlayOn and Plex running on a PC any day and wouldn't use XBMC if it was given to me. I guess people used to using an XBox360 might find it useful and easy to use, I have never owned an XBox360 and can't understand why anybody would want XBMC. If you want XBMC, several devices can run that, why would you care whether Google TV runs it or not? It is a matter of opinion whether Google TV Android 4.2.2 is an improvement over the current Google TV operating system running on the Sony models, I tend to think it will be but my opinion isn't absolute fact, I have already seen others disagree.

Even if I did love XMBC, I would understand other people can and do prefer something else, even Google TV and the way it works to access content. As far as Google TV being a device that failed, not for me personally after using it almost daily for about 2.5 years and with recent devices being released and others announced, even if the name is changed to Android TV, so far the jury is still out on that charge. I certainly say it hasn't failed after evaluating the competition, using much of it and deciding on Google TV for myself. I am not sure what your opinions are based on.

15. retroben

retroben Active Member

That's like saying that any N64 is useless if it can't run Super Mario Galaxy.

16. AAMAA

AAMAA New Member

I think you are mistaken, my friend. ChrisG8
    XBMC program through which you can watch satellite paid
    And gives you a much wider choice than any other program
    You can also watch movies
    From several sources with high quality
    He is an excellent video player
    What are the options to subscribe to channels paid without XBMC
    And look at the options available for subscription by XBMC
    What is a device that can get to it directly to your TV, and it contains XBMC

17. AAMAA

AAMAA New Member

Example
    OFFSIDESTREAMS network
    Which gives a lot of wonderful sports stations
    Can not be installed on devices Google TV Running in Android 3.2
    another example of 1Channels needs android 4.2

18. ChrisG8

You tell me you think I am mistaken and you respond with XBMC accessible sites known to be used for piracy, sites that provide no oversight to prevent pirated content being linked and of those sites I have visited, I have never once see anything that isn't a link to pirated content. I do understand that content that is available in the public domain can be available through those sites, I have never observed that happening and if it does happen some, that is clearly a minority of the content accessible. If you are paying for content from any of those sites, the content owners are not receiving those payments, I feel certain of that much.

Your position isn't making more sense to me the more you expand on it, just the opposite.

• Like Like x 2
  19. AAMAA

AAMAA New Member

Service Name Google TV
    This means I can watch via television
    But watch what
    Watch what I can watch it on the computer
    Is this everything

20. AAMAA

AAMAA New Member

PlayOn
    Service need a computer
    View a direct Live channel is not available on Google TV just by Playon and is limited
    And if Available on other services they need to android 4.2
    4.2 This is not available in Sony now