Quantcast

Bugs after jellybean update and LG response

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by geoffreyh, Nov 15, 2013.

1. geoffreyh

geoffreyh New Member

I am nearly 70 and not technically very wise, but was a happy LG GA 55 7900 user until the update last week to jellybean. The bugs noted and reported so far:
    1. As others have reported, Flash is not supported so cannot now watch on-screen news videos
    2. Browser has changed from PC desktop to Chrome mobile - cannot think why! It is 3 times slower and unstable.
    3. Notification sound has all but disappeared it is so faint with no volume control in the software. It certainly cannot be heard with the TV sound on
    4. Visual on-screen notifications have completely disappeared. The "New Email" visual on-screen banner notification with Aquamail no longer works so combined with # 3 above, the app is now useless.
    5. Use of my Logitech usb keyboard is now very unstable
    I am sure I will find more in time.
    I had a long talk with LG support. They were sympathetic but said that all the bugs/problems I reported are "known" but all they could do was send bug reports and complaints from customers to Google and hope they fix it!
    I suggest you call LG support, and ask for an official bug complaint list to be forwared to Google and hope!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. Travel

Travel Active Member

There's an option to view in full desk top HTML5: click the three dots located in upper right side of screen.

3. geoffreyh

geoffreyh New Member

I found you can add a bookmark to the TV homescreen by right clicking on the bookmark in Chrome - a drop down box gives the option

4. Travel

Travel Active Member

Yes, there's an entirely new format and it probably will be helpful to just click and long-press everything and see what it does; especially go over all the menu items in all settings.

Sometimes customer service will blow-off questions that they feel are not in their realm and just do a "see Google" reply. This can give the impression that there are valid bug issues when there aren't in many cases.

5. geoffreyh

geoffreyh New Member

I have been advised by LG TV that if enough people request to go back to the old operating system they may be able to do something. It is up to you whether you accept this crap upgrade or demand the TV operates as originally advertised. Contact LG customer support and demand a return to how the TV operated before this disastrous upgrade. So far only two people, myself included have asked for it

6. kwj

kwj New Member

We use an LG google tv as an information display here in our business. It worked fine when I set it up yesterday. I came in this morning and one of the guys said it said something about an update and now they can't get it to work. So I open chrome and first notice it looks totally different. Then I go to the internal website we use to display information and it is broken because it is no longer fullscreen. I can't find any way to return it to fullscreen. I contacted LG support and they are going to let me know if they find a way. I really just want to roll back the update. Does anyone know a way to view webpages fullscreen in android 4.2.2?

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Try changing the GTV Chrome browser to desktop mode. It's been reported that this is done by clicking the three dots located in upper right side of screen.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  8. geoffreyh

geoffreyh New Member

I have to select Desktop every time I visit a certain website but the new mobile browser is so unstable it often reverts to the website homepage spontaneously or goes to bookmarks. Even using my Logitech usb keyboard is a pain because characters repeat on their own. Everything worked fine before this wretched so-called upgrade and it seems LG is at the mercy of Google to fix all the many bugs.Good luck with that!

9. geoffreyh

geoffreyh New Member

so how do I change the user agent?

10. Travel

Travel Active Member

There's the click for the desktop HTML5 version and there's also a "screen orientation" setting for apps. I don't have an LG TV and don't know the exact procedure, but something tells me that LG TV customer service isn't exactly "on top of" the proper update-technical-information.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  11. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

that might make a bit of sense. im pretty sure that LG customer service recieved just a little bit of info on the jelly bean update, but until a few days AFTER the update was released. Google probably hasnt provided LG with much info

12. guest

guest Active Member

So is LG responsible for the bug or is Google responsible for the bug? Did LG just incorporate into their product what Google gave them 100%, or did they make "changes" to Jellybean, to differentiate the LG brand?

13. CatfishRivers

A bug such as the Chrome browser not displaying a web page in full-screen mode - would be Google's fault. Poor LG ..........
    It's possible that there is some setting in GTV Chrome - or some procedure that might fix the issue and that it's not really a "bug" - but my hunch is that it's indeed a bug.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/I8h1hcO759o[1-25-true]

14. guest

guest Active Member

Since Google has chosen not to "wall-off" Jellybean, and some earlier updates, I find Google guilty for not anticipating the "corrupting influence" of permitting device manufacturers to make changes to an O.S. that should be being handled with the same degree of care given to the lens manufacture for the Hubble Telescope!

15. CatfishRivers

Read the link from my previous post to a thread on an Official Google Forum about Chrome (I also reposted the link below) - Google had full screen issues on Chrome for android going back to last year. Numerous complaints - Google then came out with a solution of "scrolling up" to enable full screen mode on phones. But apparently the scrolling fix only works on phones and not tablets. IMO the full screen issue likely has nothing to do with a bad implementation by LG - but rather the underlying base GTV software supplied to LG by Google has problems/bugs.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/I8h1hcO759o[1-25-true]

16. Travel

Travel Active Member

Catfish, that thread is about phones and tablets and goes back to 2012 doesn't it?

The thing is, it doesn't seem to be established that there is a bug problem with the Chrome browser with the LG TV jelly Bean update.
    Ericd and others with the LG TV update have praised the browser, and pointed out the "click" for full HTML5 versions of the various internet sites. Of the two complaints on this thread, one wasn't aware of the "click" option for the HTML5 version when he originally posted, and the other poster has an internal, specifiic website "full-size" problem, and that isn't consistent with other reports, anyway. I mean, none of the other reports from posters who have the update have website "full-size" screen problems with the updated Chrome browser.

There can be a "screen orientation" problem for sde loaded apps apparently (because, the apps, being side loaded, don't have a "landscape" orientation written into the apps manifest, yet), but there's a settings fix for that situation.

17. Travel

Travel Active Member

It doesn't seem that LG TV customer service is very much familiar with all the ins 'n outs of operating the device under the Jelly Bean update. It's difficult to tell at this point if there are in fact bugs in specific areas, or it's just a matter of knowing the proper "clicks 'n settings" in operating LG TV under the Jelly Bean format.

18. CatfishRivers

Yeah that thread that I linked to started in 2012 - but it's still ongoing and the last post was on September 23, 2013. No it's not confirmed that it's a bug on GTV - but the poster KWJ has an issue with it, he reported it to LG customer service - and they told him they had no immediate answer and would look into it. Maybe he will post back again to update us. I said IMO it's not likely to be the fault of LG - but more likely to be the fault of Google. I based my opinion on things I've seen with GTV - along with the link to the thread that I posted. The thread shows that Google in the past launched versions of Chrome that irritated users with full screen issues. The GTV Jellybean update is new and it wouldn't surprise me if there are some bugs. But remember all I'm saying is "IMO" -:)

19. Travel

Travel Active Member

Well, the thing is, Google gave LG TV the software to install, wouldn't LG TV engineers have the opportunity to master the software considering they installed it?

Speculating on this, it could be a situation where engineering knows the software very well, but the customer service end of it hasn't been trained to effectively answer user call-in questions.

20. CatfishRivers

LG only supplies the drivers for the base OS which is supplied by Google. The Chrome browser is part of the base OS software that Google supplies to LG. LG does not change anything about the underlying base OS software that is handed to them by Google. They just supply the drivers to optimize the way the base OS runs on LG hardware.