Quantcast

Buffering problem

Discussion in 'Google Chromecast' started by AmyM, Aug 19, 2013.

1. AmyM

AmyM New Member

Got our Chromecast a lot sooner than expected from Amazon. The setup was easy and I have it on both my laptop and Android phone. After watching a couple Netflix movies we have noticed that the movies keep stopping for buffering and often we have to restart the movie to continue watching. I went back to using our Wii and this problem did not occur.

What's up with this? Any advice?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The only suggestion I have based on that limited information is the Wi-Fi signal to the Chromecast is poor. I don't know how to do a speed test using the Chromecast but if there is a way, obviously that would be good information to have. If possible, move the Chromecast higher or to a better, more open location and see if signal quality improves and buffering goes away. Is the Wii running SD and the Chromecast HD? An SD program is much lower bitrate and might not require buffering when an HD program would.

What is your internet service speed?

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Aside from ChrisG8's good advice for trying to improve your Wi-Fi signal to Chromecast - The following article (see link below) has some tips that might help your situation. Specifically look at steps #2 & #3 in the article:

Tips and tricks to improve your Chromecast experience | How To - CNET

From the article:

2. Lower settings to improve video playback

The Chromecast relies on a steady Wi-Fi connection to stream content. If videos are choppy or suffering from constant buffering interruptions, it is recommended that you reduce your video playback settings. This can be done in the Chromecast options in the upper-right-hand corner of your Chrome browser. Click the box, select Options, and reduce your streaming to Standard (480p). The video quality will take a small hit, but it should be watchable, with little to no interruption.

3. Access the hidden settings

Advanced users may want to check out the hidden settings menu, from which you can set the minimum bit rate, maximum bit rate, frame rate, and other useful things. If you are unsure about what any of those words mean, you should skip this step.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

fyi,

(#2) the “option>settings” apply only to Chrome cast tabs (not tablets/phones), as lowering bitrate may help improve sites w/ choppy videos, Netflix & YouTube are cast optimized sites & don’t need it.

(#3) these “hidden settings” seems inactive (maybe for future developers use).

5. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

+1

also,

• check the status of Chromecast "wireless signal strength" - From Chromecast TV Home screen > look under "Time" & see how many blue bars ... (4 max).
    • try to use the (provided) HDMI extension it may help improve WiFi signal strength.
    • Is the channel (frequency) set to "auto" on your Router (or channel 6,11..etc)?
    • which DNS (in router/PC) is the Primary/secondary [ISP/Google/Open]?
    • could you list your "Network devices and Services".

I can confirm Netflix streams flawlessly from Chromecast (via PCs/Macs, Tables/Phones), btw.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  6. AmyM

AmyM New Member

I messed around with it all morning and ended up doing a factory reset as well as resetting all A/V & network connected devices as described in the Chromecast Tips. Once I did that it worked with no problem. I also added the HDMI extension. For some reason it's not mentioned in the setup instructions and says "optional" on the package.