Quantcast

BuddyTV Guide App

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by Rickaren, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

BuddyTV Guide App Provides Nationwide TV Listings and Controls Logitech Google TV with Netflix and TiVo

March 29, 2011

BuddyTV Guide App Controls Google TV, Netflix, Tivo with TV grid
    BuddyTV / BuddyTV 2011

PRLEAP.COM SEATTLE-When it comes to controlling your TV, we all know there’s an app-or several, in fact-for that, but how about one that easily controls Netflix, Logitech Revue with Google TV and TiVo, plus offers a real-time, integrated program guide along with recaps, photos and other content on all your favorite shows?

BuddyTV, the world’s largest independent TV entertainment site, has launched an updated version of the BuddyTV Guide that does just that. Andy Liu, CEO of BuddyTV, explains, "One of the great things about BuddyTV Guide is that users quickly find what they want to watch via TV show listings and search. They also never have to learn where buttons are for a new remote control since they can tap to watch or use powerful gesture swipe commands for all devices."

With the BuddyTV Guide App, users can:

- View TV show listings anytime on their device
    - Search for shows on their TV listings and Netflix as easily as typing a text message
    - Tap to start watching their favorite show on TV*
    - Control connected TV devices* with simple swipe gesture commands
    - Set-up calendar show reminders to never miss their favorite show
    - Read BuddyTV exclusive recaps, quotes, and episode guides
    - Invite friends to join and watch a show that’s on now or in the future
    - Comment on shows and check-in on Facebook or Twitter
    - Discover new shows and check-out what other people are watching

*BuddyTV Guide remote control features work best with Google TV Logitech Revue, TiVo Series 3, and any devices controlled by Logitech Revue.

Bill Baxter, CTO of BuddyTV, states "After people find what they want to watch, they can easily comment and check into their show via Facebook and Twitter. In addition, they can also see what other people are watching to catch on to trends like a season premiere or finale." The BuddyTV Guide app is available as a free download for a limited time at the Apple iTunes Store.

About BuddyTV

Since 2005, BuddyTV has offered a fun, friendly and entertaining guide to what’s on television-with a side of wit-and a community in which fans can engage and interact with our TV-fanatic staff writers and other viewers. BuddyTV publishes op-eds, slideshows and recaps on shows; lists of the good, bad and ugly of what’s on TV; as well as trivia, personality quizzes, fantasy TV and other games.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Hey great post.......any info on if this will make its way to Android Market.

3. daniukid

daniukid New Member

@lucas710 This is David from BuddyTV. We are actually working on our Android app as well so that we can provide the offering for both IOS and Android. We'll definitely announce when it's available.

In the meantime, if anyone has comments / requests / feedback about the app, I'll definitely pass it along to the product team.
    Cheers,
    David

• Like Like x 2
  4. galfert

galfert Active Member

How can anyone be working on Google TV apps without Google releasing a Google TV SDK???

5. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what does SDK stand for

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

6. StevenB

StevenB New Member

@towboy123: SDK = software development kit. When a company is ready, they release an SDK to the public so that the public can build programs/apps/etc for their product.

@galfert: Other companies aren't always included in "the public." For instance, GTV already has apps like qtrocity and pandora, both of which have been updated at least once since the initial release. Those companies got access ahead of time.

@daniukid: While I'm sure the BuddyTV Guide App will work great for a good number of people, there are users, like me, whose cable provider doesn't pass the reference channel numbers, only the raw channel numbers. I.E. instead of 34 being CNN, it might be 41.6 or something. What I am suggesting is provide a way to link up the reference channel numbers with the raw! That way, when I click CNN in the tv guide, instead of it trying to go to channel 34, it will go to 41.6! It'd still be nice to have the tv guide in the normal order with it saying channel 34 is CNN and 35 as whatever it is, but I'd like CNN to instead go to 41.6.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  7. daniukid

daniukid New Member

@StevenB Thanks for your feedback. I ran your request by our CTO and currently we cannot "link up the reference channel numbers with the raw" because of how we get our show data.

BTW, are any of you guys going to Google IO? Our team would love to meet you guys especially if you want to see our next version and give us feedback as we continually fine-tune our offering.
    Thanks!

8. StevenB

StevenB New Member

@daniukid: Thanks for running my request by the CTO! Will the Guide have the ability for a user to click a channel and it take the user to the channel? If so, I do not necessarily understand why a user can't manually set the channels to correlate. I guess you could say its just like setting up a macro, you know?

9. daniukid

daniukid New Member

Thanks for being patient as we were cramming for Google I/O. Here's some news that came out of it:

Google I/O Video: ShortForm

Gigaom / Newteevee review: BuddyTV Wants to Be Your Personalized TV Guide App: Online Video News «

Droid-Life.com Review: BuddyTV Headed to Android This June, Your Device is About to Tell You What to Watch and When - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Just wanted to keep everyone updated. Let me know if you have any comments or questions. But will be coming out in June for Android Phone and Tablet + IOS Phone and iPad.

10. xrayphil

xrayphil New Member

I want this to control my DVR so I can stop paying TIVO a monthly fee. Can this Buddy TV app send recordings to my tivo WITHOUT a monthly TIVO subscription? A tivo without their $20.00 per month subscription is basically a paperweight (unless you think $499 lifetime is a good deal... which I think is kinda steep). I really want to cut the cord to ALL subscription services including TIVO but I still need my DVR. I recently installed an Antenna in my attic and get a ton of free channels in crystal clear HD that even cable/satellite can't touch (tivo premier has an antenna connection). I know there are options like the Channelmaster CM-7000PAL and the new CM-7400PAL but they have a huge limitation because they don't use name based recording like any DVR from this century. Those things are like glorified VCRs because they use time based recordings of shows. If my Logitech review with Buddy TV app installed will be my electronic program guide and send these recordings to my "UNsubscribed" Tivo Premier.... well then my friends you guys have a gold mine on your hands. Cord cutters will flock to you.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  11. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

BuddyTV Guide adds AT&T U-verse support

Friday, October 14, 2011

The development of the BuddyTV Guide App has been underway for over a year now and we're really starting to crank. I can't think of a better way to kick-off this blog than by announcing that with the 2.2 release of BuddyTV Guide we're adding support for AT&T U-verse IPTV receivers. But let me take a step back and speak to why we have developed BuddyTV Guide and where we're going with it.

Why did we develop BuddyTV Guide?
    BuddyTV.com serves millions of happy visitors each month. The company has been doing that for several years. During that time, we've really learned a lot about what shows people like and the pains they feel. One of the common themes we've learned over the years is that people are frustrated that there are hundreds of channels and nothing to watch. Sound familiar? Now pile on top of that the plethora of sources you can turn to for streaming and downloadable video content. Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Youtube, etc.

And then there's this little thing called a DVR with all its complexities and nuances.

BuddyTV.com serves millions of happy visitors each month. The company has been doing that for several years. During that time, we've really learned a lot about what shows people like and the pains they feel. One of the common themes we've learned over the years is that people are frustrated that there are hundreds of channels and nothing to watch. Sound familiar? Now pile on top of that the plethora of sources you can turn to for streaming and downloadable video content. Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Youtube, etc.

And then there's this little thing called a DVR with all its complexities and nuances.

The BuddyTV Guide - The next generation guide

12. trin20t

trin20t New Member

on 3.1 leak the app is in the new market and works good.

13. chopper

chopper Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  14. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

I've been using this for several weeks, worked pretty well until a few days ago.
    Now, I can't get past the zip code screen.

• Like Like x 2
  15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It is already available to download on any Google TV device: Buddy TV Guide.

Try going into GTV Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Buddy TV > Force Stop & Clear Data. Probably there's something corrupted in there.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

Hi Eferz.
    Tried that, still no go. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled.
    It's weird. Was working pretty well for how I use it (scan favorites to see what's on later in the day or week).
    When I launched it, it would go right to the app. Now when I launch it, I get the provider settings screen with the zip code box.
    I enter the zip code, click on the submit button, the zip code box disappears and that's it.
    I was hoping daniukid would pop back in here with advice.
    Thanks again.

• Like Like x 2
  17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Hmm... immediately, after that it is supposed to be checking your provider. Might want to check to see if your provider information is set for your default set-top box in the Configured Devices section of the TV source / Video Input settings. Otherwise, try creating yourself an account on the BuddyTV website. Then in the app press GTV Menu > Login Account to see if you have any better or different symptoms while being logged into the app.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

Hi again eferz.
    Well, after trying everything, I did a factory reset, and all is well again.

Thanks again!

• Like Like x 2
  19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. Sorry, I didn't though its good you got it going again.

• Like Like x 2