Quantcast

Browser help?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by krystalhellcat, Feb 19, 2014.

1. krystalhellcat

krystalhellcat New Member

I just got the new google tv box and remote. Am I missing something? I am connected to wifi I can search for websites in chrome but I can not click on them in the browser to view any site. It brings up a finger pointing to the site but won't allow any further action. If I type in a website such as History.com ? History Made Every Day ? American & World History it takes me directly to the website but I still can not click on anything within the site. It no frustrating I set up right, I can get into my netflix and app on the box but web searching seems pointless. If I can't access websites I search for in google I'm thinking of returning this product and trying out a roku.

thanks for any help you can offer.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Of course that isn't the way these devices work, the Google TV browser can access almost all sites, I have been doing it most days for close to three years now. One thing I can't do is have several web pages open simultaneously, the 1GB RAM gets cluttered and the device bogs down. I just clicked on the link for History.com, clicked Vikings, clicked first episode, it did load slowly and took me almost 30 seconds to see a Gillette commercial load which played for 30 seconds then the program started and that took a few seconds to sync at highest quality and I played it for a couple of minutes, everything worked as I would expect. I know to have RAM clear, the minimum other apps running and no other web pages open when I did this, that is required operating procedure with this inexpensive little device. I also know a lot of people connect one of these boxes and start using it without concern for managing its limited resources, expecting performance like that of a PC and are quickly disappointed and unwilling to take the steps necessary to make it work.

I also use Roku, it doesn't have a browser but works great, especially if you are happy with the channels it offers. I believe it has a History Channel although I haven't used it, it could be a better way to access the programs from that site if it does. The only thing I use Roku for most months is ESPN3, I like the Roku channel better than accessing ESPN3 using the Google TV Chrome browser. I used Google TV for ESPN3 for a couple of years before Roku added a WatchESPN channel, the videos loaded slower than it did for History.com which was slow enough.

I can't really tell what is going on with your Google TV but suspect there is some issue with the router settings or something along those lines. Hopefully one of the more technical members here will have some suggestions, I can only guarantee I have three Google TV boxes connected to three HDTVs that I use to browse the internet and access web sites often. My internet is Comcast Xfinity at about 25Mbps using a Western Digital N750 router.

3. krystalhellcat

Thank you for your response. I'm not sure what is going one here, I've given plenty of time for it to load and I've nothing else running that it now of when trying to web search. I've no issue watching netflix so I'm not sure that it would be a router issue? Suppose with my luck I may have gotten a bad box? Perhaps some programming on it went bad when it was shipped to the store? The girl at best buy has one and swear it is amazing. I'll wait the day and see what responses I get if nothing is helpful I will return it maybe try another one in hopes it is just a programming error on sonys part. :)

4. ChrisG8

I should add, I used a Sony NSZ-GT1, not a Sony NSZ-GS7 or GS8, to test your History.com link but I know from experience there is really not much difference in how the browser works with these devices and all Sony models run the same version of Google TV Android and the same Chrome version.

5. retroben

retroben Active Member

History sucks on GTV!

I am here on my steroid laced GS7 and I keep getting freezes with the timer still counting and buffering hell on that site when trying to play Vikings,with and without Wi-Fi Adblocker enabled.

6. ChrisG8

Krystalhellcat, I would say there is little or no chance the problems you describe are a result of a bad box if Netflix plays properly.

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Here are some things you can try. I listed them in order of simplest to most intensive. Start with number 1 and see if that fixes your issue. If not try step 2 etc.

1) reboot your GTV

2) go to Chrome settings and clear cache & cookies

3) go to system settings and clear data from Chrome (you'll lose your bookmarks unless you have your GTV bookmarks synced to the cloud)

4) full factory reset (you'll lose your bookmarks unless you have your GTV bookmarks synced to the cloud)

8. krystalhellcat

I did try everything but factory reset.

it isn't just history it is any site I search or type in. I used that as an example that yes I can type a website too and once on it the site does nothing I regards to letting to click anywhere with in the browser window. The arrow is moving but won't select anything.

9. CatfishRivers

Go ahead and try the factory reset. Also reboot your router.

10. CatfishRivers

Ok I got to thinking about this further - and I recalled several threads from the past when new NSZ-GS7 users posted about the exact same issue you are having. Turns out they weren't using the remote properly to click on the links. I only have the Logitech Revue - and on My Revue when I navigate the arrow to a link with the touch pad - then I click the bar located right below the touchpad to go to the linked web page with Chrome browser. Nothing else brings up the linked web page with Chrome including the OK button. Only the bar below the touchpad will work for this purpose.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also here are Revue5's tips for the remote. Maybe this will be of use to:

Tip: The Remote Control does not function (Sony remote model: NSG-MR5U & NSG-MR7U),
    • Make sure that the batteries are inserted correctly.
    • Operate the remote closer to the player.
    • Reboot Sony-box (Disconnect and reconnect the AC power cord).
    • Do not cover the upper left part of the remote because that is where the antenna is located (the remote may malfunction or may not work properly if you cover the antenna).
    • If the touch-pad of the remote is not operated for a while, it will not sense any attempts at operations. When you want to use it again,
    Hold the remote up, or
    After clicking the touch- pad, lift your finger off it for a few seconds.
    link .
    Remote re-pairing:
    • Perform re-pairing according to the following procedure.
    Press the CONNECT button, located on the bottom of the player, with a thin, sharp object such as the point of a pen, etc.
    Follow the instructions on the screen.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 2