Quantcast

Broadcom Launches Over-the-Top Media Player Innovation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by eferz, Jan 5, 2012.

1. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Scoup Du Jour

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Scoup Du Jour

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Do you think that Google TV might use some of these Broadcom chips? Or is this likely to result in further competition for Google TV?

Also I was wondering if we'll see these Broadcom solutions in android set top boxes that can be purchased at retail - or will this be aimed at cable company boxes?

I had posted a few articles previously about Myriad in the following thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/off-topic-discussion/4260-myriad-brings-android-tv.html

As you can see from those articles Myriad is aiming for Cable company boxes (to allow cable boxes to have android apps).

I'm a bit worried about the lack of GTV hardware at the moment - it's getting very hard to find any more of the new Logitech Revue boxes (discontinued) - and it's getting hard to find many of the Sony GTV products at Best Buy. I know LG and Samsung are supposed to be coming out with GTV hardware. But I also believe it will be a sideline in addition to their own smart TV line which they will continue.

Frankly I'm underwhelmed with the GTV 3.1 update. And if cable boxes will be offering android apps - this could hurt GTV hardware sales IMO.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what Google TV products are shown at CES because it is clear a lot of companies are going to compete for the internet TV market. I can't make much sense of this Broadcom chip except that is generating some excitement.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I think it is a possibility. But in all honesty I hope not. These Broadcom chip are based on a MIPS CPU which is architecturally incompatible with either ARM or x86. So, this would further fragment the Google TV platform should someone decide on implementing this chip with Google TV.

It can go either way. Broadcom is a supplier of both cable box OEMs and retail OEMs. For example the Broadcom BCM7413 is currently used in Tivo Premiers. The BCM2835 SOC powers the Roku 2 XD, XS, and HD and the BCM4323 was used in the Roku HD-XR. Most of Motorola's VIP cable boxes uses a Broadcom CPU.

In fact, Broadcom got its first big break in 1993 with a contract from Scientific-Atlanta, Inc., of Norcross, Georgia, which was supplying TV set-top boxes for Time Warner Corporation's experimental cable system in Orlando, Florida. Broadcom initially supplied Scientific-Atlanta with a three-chip set for digital demodulation in the set-top boxes, and within ten months had integrated the solution into one IC using a technology called quadrature-amplitude modulation (QAM).

I'm not worried about the current lack of Google TV products nor supposing competition. Competition is good for everyone. With the original Google TV partners distancing themselves from Google, they have an opportunity to revitalize the platform. Especially, if Myriad is making a virtual machine to run Android apps meant for Google TV. If Myriad's Alien Vue happens to take off, it will strengthens Android's involvement in the television space not hinder it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member