Quantcast

British Open Golf Tournament Streaming

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by ChrisG8, Jul 17, 2013.

1. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I was delighted with coverage of the Masters and US Open this year, able to watch OTA and ESPN3 and didn't miss anything I wanted to see. Last weekend, CBS dropped covering the John Deere Classic with three still playing in a playoff but directed me to CBSSports.com, it worked great with Google TV and I saw the finish of that tournament. Now I decided to see what kind of British Open coverage will be available.

How to watch the 2013 British Open online, TV coverage, radio and more - SBNation.com

I haven't figured the schedule out yet but hopefully it will work well. I plan to have two Google TV boxes streaming ESPN3 simultaneously and switch between the feeds. Stopping one stream and starting another just doesn't hack it with a single device, it takes way too long with ESPN3. Can't sleep this weekend, I need to remember to turn on the British Open.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ChrisG8

Great, after working really well for almost all of the tournament, ESPN3 quits playing with error code 308, best I can find it is some kind of authentication error on AT&T U-verse's side of the service. ABC has only tape delay coverage after the tournament is over, so with the leaders on 14 in a very close tournament, my coverage is apparently over. All I can do is try to reload it periodically but all I have seen for the last 20 minutes is error code 308 and 311, not sure what 311 is but it really doesn't matter, it means it won't play.

3. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

That's strange. I just tried it on Watch ESPN. I got a popup. When I clicked on it the live tournament played. Usually, I get taken to my Cox sign in page and get kicked off the live shows.

Thanks for the heads up Chris. Gotta see if other live programs will play...

Oh, btw, are you seeing a popup? Try going to the site from the espn.com site and not from favorites.

Carl

4. ChrisG8

I have seen pop ups blocked using ESPN3 although that isn't typical. I just call up the menu and select the blocked pop up to watch when that does happen, no big deal. The error code 308 is a big deal, I never found a way around that one.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Some GTV users were getting the ESPN3 live stream blocked when the live stream was in the form of a popup. (The live stream was being blocked by the GTV pop-up blocker system). There was a big thread about the ESPN3 popups here:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-apps/8127-blocked-popups-how-get-chrome-allow.html

Apparently if users visit ESPN3 by FIRST going to the WatchESPN web site - and then select ESPN3 content from there they encounter problems with live stream popup.

However users report by going DIRECTLY to the ESPN3 web page (instead of going to WatchESPN first) - they don't experience the live content as pop-ups.

As mentioned in that thread, use the following link for ESPN3 to avoid the blocked live stream pop-up issue:

Watch Live Sports Events and ESPN Programs Online and on Mobile Applications - WatchESPN

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  6. Carlszone

No, no...

Ya'll are getting my meaning wrong. The Popup I'm talking about is another way of accessing the video feed on Watch ESPN. If you go directly to the site via favorites, the video stream popup will not appear. On some videos you will get an error msg instead. But I got the video stream popup by going to Watch ESPN via the espn.com page. I'll try accessing the tournament directly, but really don't want to do anything that may kill the stream. I'm thinking that this may be a way around the error Msg Chris is getting.

Once you click on the live tournament you should see the Popup icon. You should be able to access the video feed via Menu.

7. CatfishRivers

Yes I understand that. Sorry my post wasn't more clear. I just editied my previous post to hopefully make it clearer.

Some GTV users were getting the live stream in the form of a pop-up - which unfortunately was being blocked by GTV's popup blocker system. The solution to that issue was to access ESPN3 by the direct ESPN3 web page - (as opposed to visiting WatchESPN and then clicking for ESPN3 content from the WatchESPN web page).

8. Carlszone

Also, and this may not be pertinent to this discussion, but since I've been using the User Agent string provided by Catfish, access to ESPN 3 seems a lot smoother. Altho it may just be that the site was updated.

Anybody notice the new photo display that replaces the blank screen for commercials. I think this is a great improvement esp. for the 1st gen devices. On the Logitech Revue I could never tell whether the pause was because of a commercial or the Flash plugin had crashed. Many times I found myself waiting for the live stream to start playing only to realize the player had crashed. So far I haven't experienced any flash plugin crashes in a long time on ESPN 3 using the GS7.

9. CatfishRivers

I tried a Google search for the error code 308 on ESPN3 and apparently it is a fairly common problem:

http://www.google.com/#gs_rn=21&gs_...cp.r_qf.&fp=b868288af1d93660&biw=1024&bih=576

There are several threads about it occuring with Comcast as ISP, along with other ISPs. I couldn't really find any clear solutions mentioned. The ISPs say to contact ESPN - and ESPN says to contact the ISP.

I did see it mentioned several times that users were able to get past the 308 error by switching to a different browser.

IMO I would try:

1) clearing browser cookies.

2) clearing Adobe Flash cookies

3) try a custom user agent string such as the current Chrome desktop user agent.

• Like Like x 4
  10. ChrisG8

Thanks, I will come back to this thread if I see the issue again and try some workarounds. Next time I will also have a PC running ESPN3 to access by PlayOn or directly just in case IE can play it when Google TV can't. It was a real bummer, Mickelson birdied 4 of the last 6 holes to win by 3 and all I could see was error 308. That was one of the great British open finishes of all-time, he went from 1 over to 3 under to close everybody else out.

11. Carlszone

Yeah, I was impressed. I posted an article here

12. Travel

Travel Active Member

Great! tournament. It had tension and excitement of the back nine of The Masters on a Sunday afternoon. Phil well deserved it after coming second for the sixth time in the U.S Open this year.