Quantcast

boxee vs google tv

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by bc320, Dec 27, 2012.

1. bc320

bc320 New Member

I am thinking of selling my boxee and going with a device that supports google tv. It seems similar to my boxee but is some ways better. So here is what I want to know:
    1) The boxee is a content aggregate. It already has very manyt sites set up in it's memory and when you click on the show it automatically takes you to the page and loads the video. This means it is very easy to stream the shows in it's database. The downside of this is that as more sites update flash and the like, they do not stream. So will Google TV do the same, aggregate this information for easy access? I assume the support of the most recent flash information is based on the hardware used to view google tv. Is this correct?
    2) Boxee supports many apps. I use Netflix, Pandora, youtube, & vimeo primarily. I assume the support of these apps again relies on hardware, or is it the software.
    3) I pay nothing for boxee. Is Google Tv free? (I know some apps require fees but not the boxee it's self)
    4) Boxee supports the conection of an external hard drive and creates a nice interface to show the moves and shows I have stored on it. Does google tv do this? or is it hardware based?
    5) Boxee does NOT support a webcam. Does Google Tv or is it hardware based?
    6) I do not have cable or an antenna. Does the "prime time" work with just netflix, youtube, vimeo, and crackle?
    7) does Hulu basic work on google tv?
    8) Boxee seems to no longer support the hardware. there have not been any recent updates to fix problems. I would need to find a set-top box that is still being supported by the manufacture. I could use some suggestions.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  2. alexemil5

alexemil5 New Member

According to me, there is no comparison between Google TV and Apple TV.. Both are excellent, no one compare each other in feature wise and result...

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Nobody answered any of the questions so I will answer a few. I haven't owned Boxee but the fact the hardware is no longer supported makes it a useful product to those that already own it as long as it continues to work and do what is wanted. Google TV is supported by Google and the various manufacturers and a comparison I made a long time ago when it wasn't as clear as it is now that Google TV is light years ahead found one plus mark on the Boxee side, Hulu hadn't blocked the Boxee browser. I use Hulu a lot and made other arrangements for Hulu because Google TV did so much more and the browser is so much better and I also assumed Hulu would block the Boxee browser too since the content is only licensed for traditional computers, not these little streaming boxes. Somehow, probably due to the fact that Boxee never amounted to much and didn't scare the content owners like Google TV does, that hole apparently wasn't plugged. Nothing else I could find favored Boxee, everything else that mattered to me was an x in the Google TV column.

As things stand now, a PC probably is the best choice for the things that are important to the OP but as far as streaming boxes, Google TV would be my recommendation.