Quantcast

Boxee TV: This Media Streamer Is Now A Cloud DVR

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 16, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Boxee TV: This Media Streamer Is Now a Cloud DVR (click for full article)

"Boxee's origins were humble: once a free-to-download media center app for computers and Apple TVs, the software evolved into a full-blown media streaming box for home theaters, and a powerful one at that (if ultimately flawed). But it was still sequestered from the main TV experience. With Boxee TV, we get one step closer to seamlessly merging the media streaming, channel surfing, and TV hoarding experiences.

It's not as if this $100 box is the very first device to attempt this-Google TV allows you to pass through a signal from a cable box, while DVRs like Tivo have some apps. But Boxee TV accomplishes most of this with a single piece of hardware. Roughly the size of two Roku's stacked side by side, the back of the unit is a coaxial cable input which takes a direct HD signal from an antenna or basic cable package, and passes it to the TV via HDMI."

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

Boxee TV delivers dual-tuners and cloud-based DVR for $99 November 1st -- Engadget (click for full article)

By Terrence O'Brien posted Oct 16th 2012 10:00AM

"The Boxee Box -- that sucker had a ton of hype behind it, but things don't always work out. After two years of fighting Roku, Apple TV and, to a lesser extent, Google TV for market share, Boxee has drastically rethought its approach.

The $99 Boxee TV marks a new chapter for the company with a focus on live TV and a streamlined consumer experience. Baked right inside the matte plastic case is a dual tuner capable of pulling in unencrypted basic cable channels and over-the-air HD broadcasts.

There's a slick guide to help you navigate but, most importantly, the slimmed down software sports DVR functionality.

The Boxee TV has no internal storage, however, instead all your recordings are stored online in a "No Limits" DVR. For $15 a month you'll be able to save as many shows as you want and watch it on your TV or on your computer, tablet or phone through an HTML5 webapp.

The DVR service will be rolled out to New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Philadelphia and Washington DC to start, with other markets set to come online in 2013."

3. CatfishRivers

Boxee TV - Digital Media Receivers - CNET Reviews (click for full article)

CNET Editors' Take October 16, 2012 7:01 AM PDT

"The "Boxee DVR" -- initially hinted at, then leaked -- is finally a reality.

Boxee TV is the startup's new over-the-air DVR, launching on November 1 for $99. It's a relatively radical take on the traditional DVR experience: the Boxee TV has no onboard storage, nor does it expect you to add your own hard drive, ala Simple.TV. Instead, all of your recordings are uploaded, stored, and retrieved from the cloud, with no limits on how much you can record."

4. CatfishRivers

It looks like the old Boxee software and Boxee Box (the device manufactured by D-Link) are being left to die by Boxee (maintenance status with no new features).

This new device apparently can play a few files from USB - but it's a totally different approach and concept than the Boxee Box.

IMO this is more of a competitor with Tivo than it is with Google TV. Any opinions on how this stacks up versus Tivo? Pros and cons?

Maybe there could be some way to use the Boxee TV in conjunction with Google TV to enhance the GTV experience?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things will become more complicated when the cable companies start encrypting the basic tier. I hope that it never happens - but realistically I think it's just a matter of time before it happens -:(

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

At $15/month for storage, I think it is DOA. I know how it compares to TiVo, it doesn't, it is like a dumb VCR recording to cloud storage, not like a full featured DVR. I will guess it could generate business at around $5/month but that can't be done profitably unless I miss my guess. All of the whining about the TiVo monthly fee should make it clear how poorly this device will do on the market. At least with TiVo, my effective cost is maybe $5/month for service by buying lifetime service. I would guess there is some market that will be willing to pay the $15 month and record a 200 GB of data a month and be happy, but I can't imagine that market is very big. I record and delete about 200 GB of OTA programming each month and always have a backlog of about 1TB of storage at any given time. The rare program I want to keep forever can be transferred to a PC and written to disc or just left on the TiVo.

Now, if it could also record internet streaming video, that would make it more interesting, at least to me. Programs on YouTube and some of the other streaming sites show up for brief periods, I don't have time to watch and it is gone before I can get to it. I solved the problem to some degree with a PC and PlayLater, I see something available, I record and watch it later. PlayLater is only standard definition so storage to the cloud of HD programming would be worth some money to me.

6. ChrisG8

I am ignoring how poorly these rudimentary DVRs work, I can't imagine this one is any better. Most people try for awhile then give up, missed programs, clunky menus, crashes, no customer support and the product is dropped within a year or so. A lot of companies have tried to offer DVRs but only TiVo, Windows Media Center and the proprietary DVRs offered by the pay TV service have survived. There must have been about 2 dozen come and go in the last decade. Even Windows Media Center is what I would call a legacy product now, only available with Windows 8 as a separate download, I assume purchase.

7. ChrisG8

I also forgot about bandwidth issues, who can do this, a couple hundred GB or more of data a month to upload to storage and then download from storage? I am sure some households have this kind of service but I sure don't. We must consume over a TB of data a month in my household, discs played, OTA and internet streaming, but about 80% of the data used doesn't travel either way over the internet. Also how many households with cable are going to be happy with a DVR for just the unencrypted channels?

This product is a stretch in my opinion, but we will see what happens soon enough.

8. CatfishRivers

Boxee and Walmart: The War for Your Living Room Just Got Real | Gadget Lab | Wired.com (click for full article)

BY MAT HONANE 10.31.12 4:24 PM

"Everybody wants to hang out in your living room. Apple, Google, Microsoft, Amazon - they all want to be there. Some already are. All of them are already on your other screens - the tiny one in your pocket, the medium-sized one in your bag, the big one on your desktop. But the biggest prize, the huge screen in your living room, is still very much up for grabs.

Still, it ain't a full-scale war just yet. Google TV has utterly failed to catch on. Microsoft's newly revamped Xbox Video is, well, newly revamped. Amazon Instant Video is still geared more towards tablets and apps than televisions and entertainment centers. And for now, at least, Apple TV remains a hobby, if a "beloved" one. But an announcement from Boxee - until now a minor player, at best, in this market - is a signal that the living room wars are on.

Wal Mart is going to carry Boxee TV this holiday season. And not just carry it. Wal Mart is going to push it, heavily, with in-store promotions and marketing mailers, according to Bloomberg.. This means the retail giant has decided that Internet television, and, more broadly, cord cutting, is a thing it needs to pay attention to."

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  9. CatfishRivers

I am really hoping that Walmart will carry either (or both) the Vizio Co-Star and Hisense Pulse GTV boxes (inside their stores for the holiday season).

Seeing as how Vizio and Hisense already have product lines that are carried by Walmart - this seems kind of like a coup for Boxee to have pulled this off?

Hmmm Walmart carries Apple TV, Roku and now Boxee TV - and yet they don't carry GTV. -:( What's up with that?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahhh. I just realized that Roku, Apple TV, and Boxee TV all support the VUDU app. VUDU is run by Walmart - so carrying devices that support the VUDU app makes a lot of sense for Walmart....

10. ChrisG8

I haven't looked at what it takes to operate the new Boxee product but Roku and Apple TV are easy to use and Google TV is not the type of product Wal-Mart wants to carry, it is not nearly as easy to use and return rates are high, customer confusion is very high which is why Google TV is doing so poorly in the market. It is also far and away the best of the streaming boxes in my opinion since I don't want very easy and very limited with my streaming box. With each update, it appears that Google TV is getting closer to a product for the masses so maybe Wal-Mart will soon be carrying Google TV products and Vizio or Hisense are the logical products. I did see that Target is carrying the Sony NSZ-GS7 during my last visit to Target.

11. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Boxee Box was too little too late and at a premium price. Now Boxee TV for $99 + $15....pfft, not a product for me.

12. ChrisG8

The $99 is right but the $15 monthly fee is a deal killer for most.