Quantcast

Boxee Box

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by dandroid, Oct 12, 2010.

1. dandroid

dandroid Administrator Staff Member

Has anyone considered the Boxee Box by D-link a good cheaper alternative to the Logitech Revue?

2. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Nope. All the Boxee does is wrap their app and hardware in one package. If you would like to see how Boxee works just dowload the app to your PC and see what it doesn't do compared to Google TV.

3. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

Mute point now, at the first announcement of Google TV, Boxee said they will make their app available through Google TV. Best of both worlds. This is why Google TV will be so strong. Its all about apps.

4. Veeediot

Veeediot New Member

I've been working on some applications for Boxee, so I'm quite familiar with the software.
    I like Boxee, but it's essentially a glorified web browser; all of the apps are just MRSS aggregators. It's great if you want to watch video (and who doesn't?), but if you go with a Boxee Box over Google TV, you're missing out on video-calls, social networking, video games (maybe...), and anything else the Android OS can provide.

As PhatboyC has already stated, it's in Boxee's best interests to cooperate with Google TV rather than compete, and I hope to see that relationship grow.

That said: I think both Logitech and Sony ought to take a lesson from Boxee in remote controls (especially Sony!!!).

5. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

Non lighted buttons on the Sony remote will be a big turn off for many.

Also for us Canadians, if Boxee Box can make it available here at the same time of US launch then why can't Logitech and Sony can't?