Quantcast

Boxee Acquired By ... Someone, Announcement Coming Next Week (Exclusive)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 14, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Boxee acquired by ? someone, announcement coming next week (exclusive) | VentureBeat (click for full article)

by Tom Cheredar - June 13, 2013

"Streaming media-device/service startup Boxee is expected to announce that it's been acquired sometime next week, VentureBeat has learned from sources familiar with the matter.

Earlier today, we reported that Boxee was seeking a potential buyer after initially trying to raise a new round of funding. The company declined to comment to VentureBeat about those claims.

Boxee's latest "pivot" away from providing open-source software for desktops and TVs was ill-received by its biggest supporters. And its new Boxee TV/Cloud DVR storage service (for recording live programming from HD broadcast signals or cable TV) also wasn't a huge hit with consumers despite providing apps to access Netflix, Vudu, Spotify, and others."

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't know what there is to buy, the company has no business of any significance and no promising products. Normally when a company releases a couple of products and both fail, it goes out of business. Still it will be interesting to see who bought it and how much was paid.

3. CatfishRivers

I have to give you your due ChrisG8 - you nailed it on the head when you predicted that Boxee's new cloud DVR box would be a flop -:)

4. ChrisG8

5. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I started to order it to, glad I went with the Tivo Premiere Series 4 boxes, integrates and works like a charm with my Co-Stars ...

6. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

I heard Yahoo buy anything!

7. ChrisG8

Who purchased Boxee?

8. CatfishRivers

Apparently nothing has been officially announced yet. Here is a new article from today that speculates on some possibilities:

Who's Buying Boxee?

9. CatfishRivers

Samsung Electronics Acquires Boxee, a Video Start-Up

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/03/samsung-electronics-acquires-boxee-a-video-start-up/?_r=1
    (click for full article)

by Brian X. Chen - July 3, 2013

"Samsung Electronics confirmed on Wednesday that it had acquired assets and talent from Boxee, a video start-up. The acquisition should help Samsung improve its software for its Internet-connected televisions.

An earlier report by The Marker, an Israeli Web site, said that Samsung purchased the start-up for $30 million. In a statement, a Samsung spokeswoman would confirm only that Samsung had acquired some employees and assets of Boxee but did not disclose how much it had paid.

"Samsung has acquired key talent and assets from Boxee," the spokeswoman said in a statement. "This will help us continue to improve the overall user experience across our connected devices."

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  10. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

11. CatfishRivers

IMO this means Samsung is not likely to make GTV a mainstay in any of their product lines. Although if GTV becomes a very successful platform I could envision Samsung giving a small product line to GTV (alongside their own smart TV products). That is what LG currently does.

I give Samsung credit - instead of piling on with the sheep for GTV (and experiencing less than stellar sales) - they are content with doing their own thing and improving their own Smart TV line. With the current state of GTV - it looks like Logitech and Samsung were rather wise not to embrace the second round of GTV hardware with their own offerings.

Things could all change of course in the future - we'll see if the Jellybean update can kickstart the GTV platform.

12. CatfishRivers

Streaming Entertainment Startup Boxee Acquired By Samsung For Around $30M | TechCrunch (via Mowser) (click for full article)

by Darrell Etherington - July 3, 2013

"Israeli and NYC-based streaming media and entertainment startup Boxee has been acquired by South Korean electronics giant Samsung, we've been told by reliable sources. The Tel Aviv-based startup launched its latest hardware device late last, the Boxee Cloud DVR, which was rebranded from the Boxee TV to emphasize its focus on streaming over-the-air broadcast HD channels, and recording the content grabbed from those transmissions. Samsung is a maker of lots of connected devices, including smart TVs, so it's a logical purchase for them in terms of extending the reach of their media ecosystem."

13. CatfishRivers

Boxee To Discontinue Its Cloud DVR Service On July 10 (click for full article)

by Ken Yeung - July 3, 2013

"Internet TV hardware and software provider Boxee has revealed it will be discontinuing its Cloud DVR service on July 10. This move comes hours after it was acquired by Samsung."

14. ChrisG8

That will upset a couple dozen people.

15. CatfishRivers

I looked up the Boxee TV on Amazon and was surprised to find out that it has a decent customer rating of 3.8 stars. That rating is higher than any of the GTV boxes. So maybe Samsung will be able to make good use of the different Boxee technologies.

As far as sales figures the Boxee TV is currently selling at #6003 in the Amazon Electronics category. I agree that's not good - it's about in the range of what the Asus Cube is currently selling at - which is #6586 in Amazon Electronics. The Asus Cube and Netgear GTV box are the 2 worst selling GTV boxes. Next in line is the Hisense Pulse.

Amazon.com: Boxee TV: Electronics

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  16. ChrisG8

In general Amazon ratings of the various streaming boxes are based on ease of setup and use. Roku, very easy to setup and use, what it does, it does really well and it gets the highest ratings. Google TV, much harder to setup and use, it gets low ratings. Ignored in the ratings are what the devices are capable of, Google TV does a lot compared to Roku but it takes effort to take advantage of the fact it does so much more. Boxee, the Cloud DVR functionality barely even launched before being abandoned but the streaming aspects of the box are carried over from the earlier Boxee products and it is easier to use than Google TV. It does so little in comparison, it is of no interest to me but someone that wants just the few streaming sources and doesn't care about the fact it doesn't do so much, will rate it highly.

Now that the Cloud DVR functionality is going to die, there are going to be a rash of low ratings, there are only 87 ratings so far, look for the average to plummet and fall below all but the lowest rated Google TV products. The few dozen upset buyers that didn't understand the DVR functionality was DOA are going to cast their votes as soon as it is understood what just happened. I have followed the DVR saga for 13 years now, I knew this product was DOA when it was announced. There is no market of significance willing to pay what is necessary for a DVR that will work and what little market there is already knows TiVo works and Windows HTPC works, although Microsoft isn't likely to continue to develop the Windows DVR so that one works but isn't going to get any better and it isn't great as is. If there is a future in the Cloud DVR, I don't know which company will make it happen but I see it as a high cost business with little return and can't imagine anybody other than the big cable companies will offer the products.

17. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Samsung should keep the receipt in case they want to return company within the 30-day period :D

18. bidger

bidger Member

An investment into the XBMC dev team would have had been the better value, IMO.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  19. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Here is the email they sent me....