Quantcast

Box is very hot

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by tinsnow, Jul 14, 2012.

1. tinsnow

tinsnow Member

Hi,

Anyone observed that the box is hotter than other devices around. my router, ps3, tivo, nas etc. none of the equipment is as hot as the google tv box. sometimes i fear of a burn down and turn it off.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Is it out in the open, well ventilated? It doesn't use a fan but it is a very low watt use and should remain cooler than many other devices. The Marvell Armada chip is reputedly very cool.

3. Maximus

Maximus New Member

My box is also very hot. I've never seen a piece of equipment that get that hot! And I mean burning hot that I am a bit skeptical thas this was designed that way. I am currently experimenting on different ways and places to keep the box ventilated

4. caines

caines New Member

mine has gotten quite hot multiple times, i notice it whenever i had to press the connect button to pair my remote.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

That is very troubling. I have a TiVo and PS3 also and my Revues and Sony NSZ-GT1 in the same room, all run cool enough to the touch that I have never been concerned about any of them. Heat is a real killer of this type of product so I think this could be a major issue.

6. mario23

mario23 New Member

Same here...quite hot

7. Maximus

Maximus New Member

So I decided to place the box outside my shelf out in the open. And it is no longer HOT. The heat is very acceptable and feel normal. So I guess this box does not like to be surrounded by anything! previously there was only one inch of space on top before reaching the ceiling of my shelf.

8. JimOB

JimOB New Member

I bought a small $10 USB fan and plugged it into the USB port on the back of the Sony GS7. It turns on/off when I use the GS7 an keeps the GS7 very cool -- in addition to the router, PogoPlug, external hard drive etc. which are next to the GS7 on a shelf. Works for me!
    I think product designers are going to have to address the heat issue which seems to be a problem with all these very powerful small devices.