Quantcast

Bought Both- Returned Sony, Kept Revue

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by gunnerjim, Oct 25, 2010.

1. gunnerjim

gunnerjim New Member

Just returned Sony NSZ-GT1 Blu-Ray to Best Buy, got my money back, bought the Logitech Revue.

Both include Crackle, Netflix, Vevo, Amazon VOD (I think this is Logitech only), HBO GO, Napster, NBA Gametime, CNBC Real Time, Pandora, Twitter, Blip TV, cnet, NYT, the Onion, You Tube... Thats it for now...
    Chrome Browser works well for a TV app, What's on is a good feature for sorting the TV Guide mess. Netflix needs some help, can not add from screen, kind of spartan compared to XBOX 360.

Logitech Revue Good...
    -So far I like the seamless interface with the components in my AV rack, they actually get the model of your equipment.
    -The DVR button pulls up DVR, the AV volume control works, the Dolby Digital 5.1 works.
    -My HTC Droid Incredible app works like a champ.
    -The Harmony remote system works with the Google TV.
    -$100 cheaper, runs about the same... Little more intuitive.

Logitech Revue Bad...
    -Long system update time, about 25 minutes on a 10/1.5 connection.
    -The only issue now is getting my Air NAS and USB external hard drive right. Looks like I have to digress from a EXT2 format to FAT32...
    -1 IR Blaster

Sony NSZ-GT1 Good...
    -Blu-Ray looked good
    -The keypad was compact and nice, mouse was only issue there.
    -The screens looked smoother, but jumpy with the controller.
    -8GB internal memory storage
    -More USB ports
    -Extra IR Blaster (2 total)

Sony NSZ-GT1 Bad...
    -Had to factory reset 4 times, could not get an external USB HDD to mount and play music, videos, photos, etc... Got a flash drive to mount, that's all.
    -Had the power lamp blinking red and dead until I did a factory reset.
    -The Stereo Sound PCM 48 only was lousy... On Blu-Ray it was Dolby 5.1.
    -The controller was kind of sticky with the mouse feature. The buttons did not integrate like the Logitech did at all.
    -$100 more expensive
    -My HTC Incredible could not control Google TV.

That's all for now, can answer most questions I think.
    I like the Revue a little better...

Follow Up Day 2-
    - Revue does not list the cover art on music like the Sony just the typical unknown music symbol. I know the MP3 is good.
    - Plays MPEGs well, AVI not so well (Codec Issue)
    - My network attached storage (NAS) shows up in Media Player, but does not work. It did for the Sony Blu-Ray. I even re-formated the NAS with EXT2 file system (LINUX/ANDROID should work with this!), this makes me mad...
    - Still no joy on getting a 160GB harddrive formatted as a FAT32 File System to be identified on the Media Player. I will not re-format my 1 TB harddrive to 895GB until I can prove it out in theory with a 160GB, this too makes me mad.
    - HD Football playback kind of fuzzy at times, players moved slow for a 120 Hz LG Display. Not sure if it is my cable company or the Google TV. I kept switching back and forth the HDMI cable to see if the problem cleared up. Toward the end of the Viking/Packer Game it got better on Google TV. I called the Cable company to report the pixelation.
    -No Facebook app, even though you can access through Chrome. The advertisements showed a Facebook App.

I am considering a call to Logitech to rectify the storage issues.

Will keep all posted...

2. les anderson

les anderson New Member

This is really good info. I bought the Revue last week but have had an itch to buy the Sony- I think the remote is cooler and BluRay is a plus. The 2ch issue is really what has stopped me. I am sure they will fix it but their official support thread suggests bypassing the gtv and going cbl box to avr makes me nervous. This issue really should have been fixed by now.

The other issue and a question you might be able to answer for me is how the sony is able to control your other components. This is logitechs forte and I am concerned that the sony will not be flexible enough. My system is not complex but I do need to accomplish a couple of things;

1. Standard volume buttons mapped to TV. Custom volume buttons mapped to AVR. This is easily done with the Revue.
    2. My DVR is anchient (Thanks Atlantic BB- cant wait to cancel you) and I need to use A,B,C, and D buttons for confirming DVR recordings etc. The logitech keyboard has these built in. FN+ 5,6,7,8 I believe they are. Do you happen to use these?

3. nagmier

nagmier New Member

I can also tell you the Harmony App has all those buttons mapped, I've only played with mine for a couple of hours but it works wonders, used 2 different Android Phones at the same time, no more fighting over the remote, though you will fight for control of the cursor lol! From what I've gotten to play with so far the out of the box experience is great. Will it be up to par for a power user? that remains to be seen but initially I'm happy with my purchase, I'll just have to see how the search etc goes... As I mentioned in another post I am desperate for Netflix Search via the QSB and with Android this shouldn't be a problem if/when there is an SDK or Netflix updates the app

4. gunnerjim

gunnerjim New Member

I had issues trying to get the Sony to fully control my DVR, it would not pull up "My Recordings" section at all. The Sony remote requires you to push the "AMP" button to toggle a LED on to control volume with your AVR. So it is drawing a little more power. The design of the Sony remote was cool, with the exception of the jumpy thumb mouse. The Blu-Ray was nice, great Sony quality and the Sony displayed the Cover Art of my albums. So there is good with the Sony, but after 4 factory resets, you get a little frustrated. The only components to control with the Sony remote were: TV, AVR, and STB. The Sony gave you two options Quick Boot (Uses more power because it hibernates in On position) or slow boot (The GTV shuts down). Hope that helps Les.

5. Rodrigo Galhardo

Rodrigo Galhardo New Member

help me my nsz-gt1 there is a problem the red led start blinking 10 times after it tried start up 3 times and reboot on google tv logo ,i think is a problem in hdmi output with my samsung tv because if i restart it a lot of time it works

does anybody had this issue?

6. gunnerjim

gunnerjim New Member

Had that issue too... Unplug Sony Google TV, Hold ON/OFF Button in, plug in power while holding in the ON/OFF button. This will bring up a menu, restore to factory settings using the number pad on the "remote". You may have to re-pair the unit and remote. I did this 4 times... Whenever I hooked up a USB device.

Hope this helps...

7. gunnerjim

gunnerjim New Member

Day 5 Follow up...
    Got TVersity to work.
    Got the FAT32 hard drive to display data.
    Got media server set up and shared with the GTV.
    Could not get it to hook to my AIRLINK 101 NAS... Regardless of hard drive format EXT2 or FAT32. Sony worked better in this area.
    Still no music cover art, Sony worked in this area.
    Noticed some lag during football game DVR recording playback.
    Wish device had a static IP function vice DHCP assignment only.
    Wish you could filter the network shared from GTV.
    Like the noise level of the device compared to Sony GTV Blu-Ray, very quiet!
    Like low profile nature and the keyboard is better than I first thought it would be.
    More coming as I put it through paces.

8. Rodrigo Galhardo

Rodrigo Galhardo New Member

After 4 times factory settings this issue come back?
    i have to plug a usb device?

9. gunnerjim

gunnerjim New Member

One Week Later...
    - Can see my NAS, but regardless of File System type, the Logitech Revue cannot access it.
    - The album art and folder photo icons are generic...
    - You must use share function within Windows Media Center or TVersity to see the files on Revue, just sharing the drive on my Vista media server does not work, shows folder, no content....
    - Folder arrangement within TVersity/Windows Media Center are maddening way too many listed. The slide show function needs some work for photos, hard to rid screen of the menu selection.
    - Cannot search for TV guide listings outside of the current time construct, what is on right now for up to the end of that show only. Tried to find Football Game to add to DVR, but had to bypass Revue "What's On" and DVR Search function and rely on My Motorola DVR search function within the resident device and add the football game starting at 5 PM.
    - Droid Incredible remote function works great, IR Blasters are working great.

Jury is still out...
    I love Google and my Android phone, but the Video problem and media player have much to be desired. Wish it was a little more intuitive like the older version Apple TV I also own. I really want to get out of the Apple TV, because it clogs up my MacBook Pro hard drive having the music, videos, and photo's jam stowed there.

10. firemandan9

firemandan9 New Member

Can someone clarify how the format of a NAS drive makes a difference, particularly when only trying to read a specific file format? I did not even realize any of these devices could stream content directly from PCs with the exception of the Logitech having "DLNA" streaming. I would love for someone to clarify if the Sony devices can stream from NAS drives.