Quantcast

Bookmarks l

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by amerifax, Aug 14, 2011.

1. amerifax

amerifax New Member

Book marks don't work as I would expect. I added about 50 bookmarks to locate my AT&T stations. When I go to bookmarks and click on one that displays the station number, icon, but only the first two or three of the four characters and never goes to this nation assigned to that bookmark.

example:
    my local station is 1004. I assigned it to a bookmark. When I click on bookmark the screen might display 100 or maybe 10 but not 1004. it also will not display the station assigned to 1004. It display something. not sure what it is.

You know what is more amazing than the problems with the connection between revue and Google TV, Logitech is wondering what went wrong with their investment into Revue.

For those people out there that have not invested in this system but now are considering it to be a no-brainer at $100. Your purchase of this system is a vote for an incompetent technical development department at Logitech.
    Bob

• Like Like x 2
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Bookmark "widget" on Google TV's Home screen is actually developed by Google not Logitech. It is the same widget as it is on the Sony Internet TV and Blu-Ray player. Though, I can certainly understand how you mistakenly made that observation. Logitech's main added value to the Google TV platform is the Harmony Remote integration, HD Video Conferencing App, Logitech Help, and the Logitech Media Player. The rest of the platform operates practically as the same base Google TV offering from Sony and Logitech and soon to be Samsung and Vizio.

As far as your issue, I have had some past experience working with Slingmedia developers on the challenges of interacting with consumer boxes through InfraRed (IR) signaling. This is something that Slingboxes have been doing for a long time before GoogleTV existed. So, its only a matter of time for Google to achieve the same level of aptitude. Here are the basic challenges:

1. One-way communication
    2. Proper IR signals
    3. Proper intervals between signals
    The remote control was designed to user activated. If the button pressed was incorrect or unintended, it was the onus of the user to correct it. This is how it has always been since the first remote control for the black and white TV's were made, and surprisingly enough this is how it is still used today. Since there isn't a mechanism for the receiving device to acknowledge reception, this one-way communication must assume that its commands were received.

This is a challenge in of itself, since the local environment cause interfere with the IR signal. In addition to a physical barrier separating the transmitter, light visible to us can project interference at other spectrums. Common light sources which can cause adverse effects are sunlight, halogen, florescent, or the back light of television screens. Interference is cause by deforming or masking the IR light meant to be interpreted by the receiving device. On thing that both Logitech and Sony provides are little IR blasters which were meant to localize or direct the IR signal in case of any interference from the main unit. To troubleshoot this issue, one can use one of these blasters with a paper cup or tube to block any possible outside influences.

Proper IR signals can easily tested without having an IR scope. Since Google TV isn't either Logitech's or Sony's first remote control we can have a little faith that they are outputting the correct signals. However, if you want to double-check then use the remote to verify the numbers are properly represented while you test them in the LiveTV app. Once you've confirmed this, you can check to see if the app is sending the correct sequence. You can do this by looking at the respective bookmark's Universal Resource Identifier (URI), here are some examples from both of my boxes.

tv://channel?deviceId=Logitech01&channelNumber=1666

Above is the bookmark's URI for the Logitech Revue to channge the channel on my Scientific Atlanta to channel "1666" which is the Syfy HD channel on Time Warner Austin. And below is Sony NSX-24GT1's URI to change the over-the-air tuner to channel "36.1" which is Fox channel over local KXAN DT broadcast.

tv://channel/36.1?deviceId=AtscSoc&type=digitalTuner

Just make sure that your channel is represented appropriately by pattern matching the channel's number from the URI. You can do this by highlighting a bookmark and clicking on the "DEL" of the keyboard and chosing the "Edit" options. The popup window will show you the respective URI of the bookmark which you are editing.

The last part is something that Google hasn't addressed which is interval between commands. Slingmedia has learned that some boxes require a certain speed between signals, otherwise the input can either timeout or be overridden resulting on an incorrect request. For example, to control my Revue through the Slingbox, I need to set the timing to "Slow", otherwise channels with the same consecutive numbers like "1666" is interpreting the quick secession of numbers as "T9 typing" instead of a series of numbers. Conversely, my Slingbox profile for the SA 8300HDC needs to be set to "Fast" otherwise it will timeout before the last number is pressed. In either case, if the timing is off then I get sent off to the wrong channel.

If you feel that the timing of the intervals is affecting your experience, I suggest that you call your OEM (Sony or Logitech) to express the problem so that they may escalate it up the chain to Google's developers. As far as the incorrect or generic logo, that's something that needs to also be address by Google. Obviously, the channel listing service provider which they're subscribing from might have a bad or missing logo for those channels. However, you're only line of contact is to express the problem through the OEM.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  3. crunit100

crunit100 New Member

so after all that,

Is there a fix in the works to get it to tune to the correct channel instead of putting in 2 digits, pausing, and then putting in the last two digits?

• Like Like x 2
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I don't know. As written previously, you'd have to contact your OEM, so that they're aware of the problem and escalate it to Google.

Incidentally, that's not how it functions on either my Sony Internet TV or Logitech Revue with the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC. It seems the interval are appropriate for the bookmarks to work as expected for both my Google TV setups.

5. amerifax

amerifax New Member

>>eferz<<

I have been using forums since the day of the BBS on a Atari 400 actually the one before the 400. Anyway. I have never seen a more complete explanation to a complicated issue as this. I totally understand and will work on the issue in the mourning. Thank you very much. Not only do you give me a path to a solution for my problem but also an understanding the the why of the problem.
    Bob

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No problem, I'm glad to be of some assistance. Hope you can get it worked out.

Ahhh, I remember the days of beeps of my 300 baud modem as I logged into Delphi net. LOL. I'm glad that level of information segregation is over.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I stand corrected, Surprisinguy has pointed out that the control panel does exist.

Good Eye! I had missed that option. Sneaky bugger. GTV Settings > TV Source > Edit Configured Device > Adjust Delay (very last item).

View attachment 113