Quantcast

Bluetooth keybord and mouse suggestions

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Seattleite, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Seattleite

Seattleite New Member

Hello,

I am trying to help some elderly friends with Google TV set up. They do not have any other way to access the internet other than via the browser on the tv (NSZ-GS7). I tried hooking up a blue tooth keyboard today. It paired okay, but didn't do anything.

Has anyone had success with a particular keyboard and mouse? I am trying to keep things simplified. Ordered the other remote with voice recognition, just need a wireless keyboard and mouse for when they want to check their email.

Thanks in advance!

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi IMO your best option is the Logitech K700 keyboard. It works better than an ordinary wireless keyboard because it's designed for GTV. It has a trackpad so you don't really need a mouse. But you could use a mouse with it if you want to.

The Logitech K700 keyboard is currently the only optional full-sized keyboard especially designed for GTV. It's not a Bluetooth keyboard but most GTV users that want a full keyboard use the K-700. Here's a link for it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Keyb...B0040QE998/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_2#productDetails

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Travel

Travel Active Member

The k700 keyboard comes with a unifying receiver USB piece, and the front page of the instructions explains how to configure the keyboard to the GS7/GS8. You'll need a PC to do the initial keyboard-to-receiver configuration. Then just put the unifying receiver in the GS7/GS8 USB Port, and you're all set; the keyboard should now work perfectly with the GS7/GS8 Sony box.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I use the Logitech K700 with the Sony NSZ-GS7 and think it is the best controller for Google TV. A Bluetooth keyboard designed for Google TV could be the perfect controller but so far, it doesn't exist. Any Logitech unifying receiver mouse can also be paired with Google TV when using the K700 keyboard if that is preferred to the trackpad.

What Bluetooth keyboard was paired but didn't work? I did pair a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard with mine and it worked, just not well enough that I would use it, it is missing the Google TV specific keys found on the K700.

5. Seattleite

Seattleite New Member

Thanks for the info on the Logitech. I just ordered it on Amazon. They are old, and trying to maneuver on the standard remote doesn't work so well. This looks like it will be perfect for their purposes!

I had an iHome bluetooth keyboard at home that I took over to their house, and as I mentioned, I was able to pair it but nothing happened when I tried to type in a URL or emails.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Good luck, I hope Google TV works well for this couple. I am certainly among the biggest Google TV fans anywhere but I believe it will be a difficult device for an older couple to work properly, not because of the K700 keyboard, it is easy to use, but because Google TV must be used very carefully. For example, just going to multiple web sites, leaving several web pages open will cause it to lock up or run very slowly. If you are an advanced Google TV user, it will be important you spend time with them showing them how to operate it.

I am hoping the upcoming update to Jellybean (Android 4.2.2) will make it easier and more stable to operate and the way I baby Google TV to keep it running properly won't be necessary any longer but if it doesn't, they are going to have to learn how to use it very carefully, just as I have. I am not very technically inclined, 61 years old, and able to get great results with Google TV but I see so many complaints from people, young and old, that don't get similar results that I know Google TV is considered difficult to use or unstable by a lot of people. Although I don't know the timing of the update, it should be a matter of weeks away, not months now.

7. lschroeder

lschroeder New Member

I ordered k700 with unifying 2 days ago from Hong Kong for $34.98. Shipping is free. Delivery Aug 30 - Sep 8

NEW Logitech K700 Wireless Multimedia Keyboard Controller W Unifying Receiver | eBay

I currently have the Motorola Xoom Android bluetooth keyboard and blue Logitech Bluetooth mouse working with my GS7. Home, speakers, back key, window key as content menu. Only down falls to keyboard is no quick guide, speaker icon, or power off. Home and arrows for full guide work though.