Quantcast

blu-rays playback in wrong aspect

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by jborello, Jan 2, 2012.

1. jborello

jborello New Member

Hi all,

I've been reading over the forum and I've browsed topics associated with media file playing back at the wrong aspect ratio but, what about aspect ratio associated with blu-ray disc playback? All my blu-rays playback with black bars on the top and bottom of the movie. Is this a TV setting issue 16:9, screen resolution restriction (720p), a blu-ray player setting issue or neither? I never experienced this problem on playstation 3 during blu-ray playback on my LG in the past.

Happy new year!

JB

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The easiest way to tell is by the aspect ratio that is listed on the Blu-Ray's movie jacket. If it indicates an aspect ratio other than 16:9 then you're supposed to see either a letterbox or pillarbox format depending on the movie's aspect ratio. If you always see full screen display on another device then it is stretching the picture and parts of it are actually being cutoff.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jborello

jborello New Member

As always Eferz thanks. I have netflix so that information isn't readily available but I'm assuming most blu-rays are shot in an aspect of 2.35:1, hence always displaying top and bottom bars to not cut picture off.

• Like Like x 2
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help.

5. akm_0394

akm_0394 New Member

I am having this problem too. I am a new adopter of the NSZ-GT1. I recently put in a DVD (which I know is a 4:3 disc), but the player stretches it to fill my whole TV (a 16:9 screen). I hate how this looks and would like to change it to be square with pillars on each side.

How can I make this happen?

6. akm_0394

akm_0394 New Member

No one knows?

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It is in settings, I have the NSZ-GT1. Settings>Picture and Sound>Screen Format>>Original. Your display may be set incorrectly as well which can stretch upscaled 4:3 DVD. If you can't get it right by having proper resolution, proper aspect ratio set with both display and player, give us more information, what display are you using? What are the settings on both player and display.

I can promise you the player doesn't force you to stretch 4:3 content but improper setup and improperly authored DVDs can force that annoying process.

• Like Like x 2
  8. akm_0394

akm_0394 New Member

That was the setting I was looking for! Thanks so much!