Quantcast

Blu-ray looks worse than Netflix...Why?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by GreatGoogleyMoogley, Jan 19, 2012.

1. GreatGoogleyMoogley

GreatGoogleyMoogley New Member

I've been really happy with my NSZ-GT1, save for the PQ of Blu-ray. I have no idea why Netflix would look better, and by a pretty good margin, than blu-ray discs? Standard definition almost looks better than blu-ray, and HD over the air broadcasts look best of all.

I know Netflix shouldn't look better than Blu-ray, but should HD over the air look better?

My box is not set up for use with my DirecTV. I have the HDMI cable hooked from the Google TV box to the back of my TV not my AVR. I couldn't get it to work with my AVR. Now, I have to use the optical audio output.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Very disappointed with blu-ray and have to believe my player is defective, or my set up.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

What is the make and the model of television you have? What is the native resolution of its panel? What is the current setting for GTV Settings > Picture & sound > Resolution? What resolution are your Blu-Ray discs at? I'm asking about all these variables, wondering if video is being in appropriately scaled. For example, if you had a 720p Blu-Ray title which is being up-scaled to 1080p because of the GTV's resolution setting then downsized by the television to 720p because because it uses a 720p panel then you'd get pretty crummy picture quality.

3. GreatGoogleyMoogley

I have an 82" Mitsubishi DLP with 1080p native resolution. In the settings within my google tv apps, the PQ is set for Blu-Ray at 1080p/24hz, but I believe it's set to AUTO.

Didn't have any idea blu-ray discs could be in other resolutions. In any case, it's really alarming I could watch a blu-ray and then switch over to Netflix and find Netflix with a much better picture quality.

I'm going to fiddle around with some things during the day and see if I can't find a better combo to make the PQ better on blu ray.

Thanks for your, reply, eferz...it's appreciated.

4. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

Eferz is right. Something in your setup is wrong.
    As far as I know, all blu ray discs are 1080p (there could be some exceptions, but they would be rare).
    If your box is set to output 1080p and is connected directly to your display via HDMI, a blu ray disc should look terrific. This is assuming your display is set up properly (color, contrast, resolution, sharpness, etc.).
    There are some blu ray titles that are only so-so as far as picture quality goes, but they're the exception.
    Post some titles that look poor to you, and what it is about the picture quality that looks disappointing.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I agree with the previous posts and will add I have never known of a defective Blu-ray player that works fine except outputs poor video quality. Certainly any consumer product can be defective but a Blu-ray player with lesser video quality compared to a far inferior source such as Netflix isn't a defect I have ever heard of when both sources are output over the same HDMI output to the same HDMI input. Improper settings on the player or display are the only explanation I can suggest. I would like to see this phenomenon in person before I could even believe it is possible with improper settings. Yes, rare Blu-ray discs have been encoded poorly but none I have ever seen look worse than internet streaming like Netflix and I have seen over a thousand and own over 700. The Sony NSZ-GT1 model does not have an inherent problem that prevents outputting a good picture, far exceeding anything possible with Netflix.

The best OTA compared to a bad Blu-ray, might actually result in a preference for OTA but I have never even seen that despite using only OTA, internet streaming, disc and videotape in my household now, no pay TV services. A good DVD in general beats OTA on average although the best OTA I receive beats the best DVD I have but Blu-ray far exceeds either.

6. GreatGoogleyMoogley

Thanks for the replies... I went ahead and switched the setup around now having it HDMI'd to the AVR. I used setup and set the output res to 1080p on my AVR. Nothing changed...I then changed the output to THROUGH. Nothing changed. Well, the sound is vastly improved coming through HDMI vs. the digital output.

The two Blu-rays I've watched (CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE and MONTE CARLO...yes, my wife picked them) looked TERRIBLE. I mean very grainy. Splotchy. The standard dvd picture looks very good. The Netflix pic is beyond anything I ever hoped for internet streaming with my limited bandwith.

I've toyed with the settings on Google TV...changed them all around...everything is exactly the same. I'm flabbergasted. Perhaps, this is how Blu-ray is supposed to look and I'll just stick with standard definition. I can say that my OTA produces the best picture of any input I've tried. Netflix is probably a hair better or just equal to standard def with Blu-ray dead last.

I should add that both of these Blu-ray discs were from Redbox.

Maybe, I'll give Blu-ray one more chance before I decide to just stick with standard. I really don't mind the standard picture... I just thought Blu-ray was supposed to be much better but it sure hasn't been for me.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I rent my movies from Blockbuster and have noticed there are often differences between the rental and retail version of the movie. As I understand, some distribution companies are intentionally sending out "gimped" versions of their titles. This can be the exclusion of certain audio tracks or certain menus were unavailable. I have yet to notice a difference in video quality in any of the movies that I've purchased after renting them. Though the possibility could exist. Incidently, I've come across a couple of threads on other forums discussing the matter; "Rental" vs. "Retail" Bluray discs - Is video quality gimped?! and "Rental versions of Blu-ray discs stripping out bonus features".

8. halox

halox New Member

Yeah, buddy - at 82", you're gonna see every piece of grain and digital noise available. That's a big ass screen.

9. GreatGoogleyMoogley

Perhaps, that is the issue...maybe, that screen is too big to properly output that resolution, but it does everything else so well, that I just assumed blu-ray would be the same. Maybe, eferz is onto something...maybe, these rental versions aren't the real mccoy. I'll have to purchase a blu-ray and see what happens. If that doesn't help, I'm sticking with standard definition, as I can live with it. I'm streaming Netflix and it looks so pure... I'd settle for blu-ray looking that good.

EDIT: Very happy, and relieved, to report that COWBOYS VS. ALIENS looked like I thought a Blu-ray should look. The first two discs must've been dirty, or something. It was night and day difference.

Thank you to everyone who read this and offered advice/support. I've been questioning my DLP purchase, but now that Blu-ray looks as I figured it should, I'm very, very pleased with my new TV, and I really love Google TV.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  10. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

Glad to read your success with blu ray.
    A couple of titles I can recommend for picture quality:
    Ben Hur and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World. Don't know if these titles are your cup of tea, but I can tell you that they are OUTSTANDING for picture quality.
    They are both demo quality.
    Mad Mad World was a Walmart exclusive, don't know if it still is.