Quantcast

blu-ray disc playback issues

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by kcconk, Feb 13, 2011.

1. kcconk

kcconk New Member

sony nsz-gt1
    had about two weeks now and have continually had issues with blu-ray discs playing; every 30-45 seconds, while watching a disc, the picture will jitter/judder/delay briefly. I have made adjustments to my television's (46" samsung LED, 120 hz) video output (blur, judder, smooth motion) but nothing is correcting the issue. strange thing is DVDs play flawlessly on the device. any one else experienced/solved this issue?

2. harley man

harley man New Member

i would replug in your hdmi cables just to be sure there in good and tight or maybe sony has a update for your bluray player for that problem

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  3. kcconk

kcconk New Member

I contacted sony via chat; was told to check firmware/software update as instructed by: Sony eSupport - NSZ-GT1 - Software Updates & Drivers

While I will initially do this (when at home), I dont think this is the problem as I've only had the player two weeks and thought that the initial setup took care of all the updates. Worth a shot though.

4. galfert

galfert Active Member

I would do a power cyclce (reboot) of the NSZ-GT1 and retest. Also check the location of your NSZ-GT1 and make sure that it is getting proper ventilation and cooling. Better for it to be sitting alone with nothing on top nor under it that could also be a souce of heat.

5. kcconk

kcconk New Member

galfert - thanks for the tips. ...occasionally I forget about the reboot.

6. biggerbyte

biggerbyte New Member

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm not sure I'm getting that on blu-ray, but I am on DVD and streaming Netflix. It really ticks me off. I've tried everything thinkable at this point.

7. biggerbyte

biggerbyte New Member

I should add that using a standalone Sony blu ray player exhibits no such problems. I also never had any issues with jerky video coming from my Directv receiver until I bought the NSZ-GT1 and passed the signal through it. Everyone knows the firmware on the GT1 is/was causing that. Therefore, common sense suggests that all these video issues belong to the same culprit. I guarantee you I can remove this GT1 from the equasion and all would be fine again.

8. kcconk

kcconk New Member

Ya know, I do still have the issue occurring. Now, since the ogm_2.1_2011030201ON.165187 update, the jerky video has been less prominent (although it still there) when viewing blu-ray. DVDs have never been an issue, which is completely bizarre to me. I've noticed, like others, that my cable-tv has been less juttery since the update. As for Netflix, the jerky movement has also seemed to happen less frequently - maybe once every 20-30 min but the most netflix gets used at our home is children shows. Therefore, I am not the qualified expert at reporting. So I believe the update fixed some issues with jerky, juttery, juddering video.

However, overall, I must say I'm dissatisfied w/ the player. For $400 one would expect a top-notch quality Blu-Ray player. I bought the GT1 for the sole purpose that it provided me internet access AND had blu-ray player. But not being able to fully enjoy a blu-ray feature to it's flawless extent stilll irks me. Depressing b/c every other Sony equipment I've owned worked great. Guess there's a first for everything.

9. biggerbyte

biggerbyte New Member

I had me first lockup tonight. I booted up the GT1 just as usual. Next, I clicked on live TV to watch Satellite, again, as usual. This time the picture coming from Directv was frozen, just as if I had taken a still shot. The mouse pointer would not move.. I could not go back to the Home screen... Nada! Locked completely. It took ctrl-alt-del to get out of it. Needless to say, it was devastating to see yet another problem, and one serious enough to make me want to exchange for yet another GT1. It would be number 4. I'm not sure what to do. This new firmware seems to cause more issues than it fixes. So, if the firmware is the problem, then a new machine would be useless and pointless.