Quantcast

Blocked popups - how to get Chrome to allow...

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by txakura, Jul 8, 2013.

1. txakura

txakura New Member

For the past three years, I've been able to watch Canadian Football League games on ESPN3 (WatchESPN or whatever else they call it) via Google Chrome on Google TV on my Sony NSZ-GT1. Every year ESPN changes the rules and talking to them results in comments that usually sound like: "You're not supposed be watching on your TV, we only have this programming for computer users." And you know, Google TV/Chrome just looks like a computer to the ESPN output.

This year, though, they're using popups to show the stream, and Chrome insists on blocking the popup. If, once I see the " X Popup Blocked" on the screen, I can then click the settings symbol on my controller, go the the "Blocked Popups" listing, click on the blocked popup (shown as "Streaming Online: WatchESPN"), and then return to the streaming window and the program continues. It would be nice, though to just select the stream I want and not have to deal with the blocked popup. Because I don't have the required 10 posts, I can't show the link I see when I run the cursor over the streaming. If it's something you'd like to see, I can always PM it to you. Or... you could just Google "CFL on ESPN" to get a link to the streaming site. Based on what I see of the link when I select it, I've tried a whole lot of possible entries for allowing the popup without success.

Does anyone have a recommendation to get me past this? I'll just continue to go through settings until and unless someone can provide the answer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Do you go directly to the ESPN3 site instead of accessing ESPN3 from the WatchESPN site? This is the link for the direct ESPN3 site:

Watch Live Sports Events and ESPN Programs Online and on Mobile Applications - WatchESPN

Nothing is live on there right now - but I just watched a replay on my Logitech Revue and I wasn't blocked.

Have you tried going to: Chrome settings ---> Advanced Settings ---> Under The Hood ---> Content Settings (it's in "Privacy" section) ---> then check "Allow All Sites To Show Pop-Ups" also

instead of checking "Allow All Sites To Show Pop-Ups" you can try clicking "Manage Exceptions" and then enter the URL for the stream/site and click "Allow".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One other thing that you can try is to enter the following custom user agent string on your GTV device:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/28.0.1468.0 Safari/537.36

After you enter that user agent and click "OK" - then do a reboot for the change to take full effect. Then give it a try on ESPN3.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. guest

guest Active Member

For someone that isn't having this popup issue, do you recommend this custom user agent string be used also? If so, in what way does one benefit by using it compared to the default/generic strings? Thanks.

4. txakura

txakura New Member

I'm pretty sure the problem is with Chrome, since it's the only thing in the output that will try to block popups. ...and if I knew what a "custom user agent string" was, I'd be right at entering it on my GTV device (Sony NSZ-GT1 as mentioned) I admit my ignorance, so could you tell me where I enter the information? As for the other information you provided, all I can say is "been there, done that." That's really the crux of my problem, I can't find the correct information that tells Chrome the popup is OK, not not to block it. No URL, or part of a URL seems to be the right answer.

Thanks for the info. I just hope you have the patience to give me the rest of what I need to get the custom user agent string into my unit.

Oh, just in case: if entering the custom user agent string makes no difference, would I be better off going back to what was there in the first place? Best bet would be to have a copy of what's there before I make the change, correct?

5. guest

guest Active Member

txakura,

On the bottom of my keyboard (I'm using a Logitech Revue), there is a key/button with four horizontal lines. Press that and you will see on your screen the Options screen. At the bottom of that "options screen", press Settings. Then Advanced Settings. Then, on the left side of the screen, it will say Preferences at the top, and below that "Under the Hood". Click Under the Hood. At the top of the next screen, it will say Privacy - Content Settings. Click Content Settings. Scroll down to where it says Pop-Ups. Check-mark "Allow all sites to show pop-ups".

6. CatfishRivers

To change the user agent:

Chrome settings ---> Advanced Settings ---> Under The Hood ---> User Agent (then check mark "custom" and enter the user agent string that I provided. Then click OK. Then do a reboot).

That user agent has helped access some sites with GTV that were giving the default Chrome browser problems. With the default browser some sites were giving Chrome too many redirect loops. Other GTV users have confirmed this on the NHL hockey web site, ITV, Yahoo mail and several others.

You don't have to change back or copy anything else down. The only other user agent choices are "generic" and "default".

I like the custom or generic user agent because that allows me to access some TV channel web sites that block the GTV browser. However the main TV channels and Hulu also block GTV by the GTV Flash version - so changing user agent won't unblock those sites that take the extra trouble of blocking GTV by both user agent and Flash version. But you will be able to access some secondary TV channel web sites if you change the user agent to generic or a custom user agent.

The only advantage of keeping the user agent on default - is that there are a few sites in the GTV spotlight version that recognize GTV from the default browser. However my personal preference is that I never use the browser in default mode.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  7. txakura

txakura New Member

Thanks. I changed the agent and rebooted, like you suggested. I can't see where it made a difference, though. I still get "X popup blocked" when I try to access ESPN3/WatchESPN - at least for CFL. Just one more question, and I'll leave the whole thing alone: When I go back to the screen with the user agent, although the "custom" selection is shown, there's nothing where I typed all that information. Is it because I made a mistake, or is that just the way it works?

BTW when you say "reboot", do you mean turning the unit off and turning it back on, or do you mean removing the power (for up to 30 seconds) and then starting the unit again?

8. CatfishRivers

Hi the information should be in the field where you typed it. Although sometimes when I reboot I have also experienced it disappearing from time to time. Just one of the quirks of GTV. Did you click where it says "OK" after you entered the custom user agent?

On my Logitech Revue I reboot by pressing: Alt + Ctrl + DEL simultaneously on my keyboard.

On your Sony NSZ-GT1 rebooting with the keyboard is slightly different. Try entering the custom user agent again (& then click where it says "OK") - and then rebooting by simultaneously pressing (and release) the CTL+ALT+BACKSPACE/DELETE buttons.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  9. txakura

txakura New Member

I haven't tried your suggestions yet, and I do expect to, but I found out last night this whole thing is a non-issue. I realized I was using a different path to get to "WatchESPN/ESPN3" than I had in the past. I tried the direct approach, which is enter "ESPN3" in the Google Search window, select ESPN3 on the first choice, and then get the streaming screen from which I make a selection. NO POPUPs. I'll leave it there until ESPN does something else to make life difficult - and they will. Disney or no, they surely like to mess with your mind.

10. CatfishRivers

Glad it works for you. By the way - that's what I tried to explain to you in my post #2 in this thread - in which I provided the link for the "direct access" ESPN3 -:) Did that link for you? It works on my Logitech Revue..........

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  11. txakura

txakura New Member

You're right, although I didn't think what you had shown was what I did last year. It is, though, now that I look at my access. ...and that's what works without popups. I still will be trying the change to the user agent, since I can see where that might come in handy in the future. I'll have to admit: I bought my Google TV specifically to watch the CFL (and, at the time, Australian Football, which is no longer available on ESPN3), and I wasn't concerned about much else I could do with Google TV. I'm really happy with the unit, and take advantage of Netflix regularly, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm way ahead of the game.

BTW, when it comes to simple, my remote has an "Enter" key, which should suffice for entering the string in the user agent and making it stick. I didn't think about it until after I posted my response to making the change. I just haven't tried it yet.