Quantcast

Blocked by Cable Internet Provider

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by mra, Dec 9, 2011.

1. mra

mra New Member

I just picked up my 40" GTV, and got my internet service on. I am finding that Comcast is blocking web video content
    I can't watch anything more than 10 minutes. I watch from sites like megavideo, videobb, ovguide. I get better, unrestricted, streaming from a tethered 3G connection, but slow. Only other choice id phone company DSL. I hope they don't block as well.

2. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

You have to have some other issue. I have relatives and friends with Comcast and none of them are being blocked when they stream.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am using Comcast Xfinity and don't see any blocking of the sites I use but I don't use any of the sites you mention. I believe something else must be the cause but if I get a chance will try one of the sites you mention. Are any of those sites authorized to stream the content or just links to copyright violations? If the answer is none are authorized, I will assume it is possible Comcast blocks the sites.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I have Comcast Xfinity. And what they block is a lot of the streaming videos from their (Xfinity) web site - primarily the major networks and content that they license from Hulu. I find the stuff that is blocked from the Xfinity site is the same stuff that is already being blocked on GTV (such as NBC, CBS, ABC, Hulu etc.). The free movies on Xfinity also don't work for me. The only videos on Xfinity that work are videos from networks that aren't currently blocking GTV - such as USA, TNT, Lifetime and the others.

When I say 'block' I mean they don't stream from the Xfinity site (there is no official pop-up stating that it doesn't work) - it just says "loading" - but the videos never play.

• Like Like x 2
  5. mra

mra New Member

I like to go to tvlinks.eu From there, I can search for links to just about anything, usually the links are from megavideo, videobb, etc.
    The canned content is is not current and the commercials suck. Google TV could be to television what a supersonic aircraft is to a 1800's steam powered locomotive. Google sells more advertising than all the networks combined. It is inevitable- Comcast will die a slow death to make room for the new and improved, better way of program viewing. It's not going to happen soon enough, so I'm returning this junk until it is open to what I want. It is bias against Google TV, and protecionism, as I am able to watch the same steams on my laptop without restriction. Don't they know I can just plug my laptop into a HDTV? That is exactly what I am going to do, Google TV just isn't a good option currently. About Xfinity- you have to be a cable TV customer to use it, I don't want a cable bill to watch a few hours of programming, and have access to endless worthless to me programming.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, and the networks are relying on the fact that it is more cost prohibitive and not convenient as a cheap $99 set-top box. That's exactly why they're resisting Google TV and other similar set-top boxes. They just don't want their content that easily accessible for free, otherwise it reduces its monetary value that the channel line providers are willing to pay. Some networks are starting to embrace "authenticated access" which provides proof that your subscribing from a channel line provider. It allows their customers to experience added value in their subscription by allowing wider access options without reducing the value of content.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The advertiser sponsored sites being blocked makes no sense to me. It is either an effective way to deliver the content for everybody wanting to access it or it isn't. Anything free and not advertiser funded, I can see blocking but like OTA, it sure seems to me you want more viewers for your advertisers, not fewer, and there sure hasn't been any study that indicates Google TV users are not affluent and not a desirable market.

So is there any evidence Comcast is blocking Google TV access?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I don't have the 3.1 update yet so I can't test it. But what I think could be happening is that sites such as videobb and megavideo have a certain time alloted to free users to watch a video - and after that time it cuts off. These sites do offer a premium paid service - which I'm guessing would allow viewers unlimited time restrictions for viewing a video.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There's a big difference. Internet advertisers are only willing to pay per view, where as channel line providers pay in one large lump sum regardless of whomever watches. The amount that channel line provider will dwindle if there's no exclusivity in the access to the content. I doubt the amount that internet advertisers are paying is enough to cover cost of royalties and bandwidth for the content let alone or hosting, maintenance, and licensing fees.