Quantcast

Big Issue - Can't download or update apps

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by magearden, Jun 28, 2015.

1. magearden

magearden New Member

So, after rethinking about selling my Sony NSZ-GS7 I decided to keep it but have run into a serious issue. After performing a factory reset I tried setting up my Sony Internet Player like I did the first time but instead of updating and downloading apps I get the dreaded "error downloading (app name) or if you want to be more specific "error retrieving information from server" I've tried multiple solutions even to the point of calling Sony Tech Support "and" Google, which didn't help it all. I bought this refurbished a couple of years ago and I don't know what else I can do to fix this problem. Here are just a few steps I've tried to resolve the issue but didn't work ...

I've ...
    1. performed a factory reset
    2. went into settings
    3. Removed Account
    4.. cleared data and cache from Google Play Store, Download Manager, and Google Framework Services
    5. Re added account and on one occasion
    6. Tried using a different account to see if that would work.
    7. Even checked to see if I was running the latest firmware version which I was.

I've tried everything to get it up and working again but can't seem to fix this issue. Has anyone else run into the problem and what did you do (if anything) to resolve it. Or am I out of luck ? I knew it was a bad thing to return my nexus player but it was eating up twice as much data then my Sony Internet Player even while doing nothing. Was it a mistake ? Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. sointense

sointense New Member

If it makes you feel any better I am running into the same thing here on the GS7. I am only having trouble with any log in related to Google (Play, Youtube, etc). It has been suggested elsewhere that the reference to Google in the Hosts file may no longer be current, but I would think that if the HOST table came up dry, then the next step would be a DNS look up. All of my other streaming such as Netflix is working.

If you find a fix, please pass it along

3. sointense

sointense New Member

For what its worth.

I contacted Sony concerning this issue. I was told this was a known issue caused by Google that Sony can not correct. If my unit is within the one year warranty period, they would replace the unit with a known good working unit. A vaild receipt of purchase needs to be emailed to Sony for approval of the RMA before I send the unit back.

If it is outside this period, they will do nothing for me. I have no idea how long I have had this and I do not have a receipt, let alone remember where I bought it. I request that some one from Custer satisfaction call me concerning this and will post an update after I hear from them. I can't beleive there just going to leave me hanging in the breeze about this.

4. magearden

magearden New Member

I contacted both Google and Sony both say the other is to blame. It's disappointing that I can't do much about it, I bought it refurbished from Factory Direct and even put an in store year warranty but I've since gone past that year and there's nothing FD can do for me. I hope someone can find a fix, if not I'm stuck with a lemon :/

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Is it known that doing a factory reset will now break a Sony NSZ-GS7 so no apps can be installed? If that is the cause, it may be something Google has done, which is very bad news of course.

6. sointense

sointense New Member

The problem started all on its own, I did not do a factory reset. After the problem started occurring I tried a reset with no luck, the issue still remains

7. sointense

sointense New Member

Update:
    Sony Customer relations called. Without a receipt indicating the unit was purchased in the last year, Sony will not replace the unit and there is no service alternative for out of warranty devices.

I guess my only alternative is to post in the XDA page and hope someone investigates the issue. I am not a programer but can follow instructions

8. magearden

magearden New Member

9. sointense

sointense New Member

Yea well the Andriod TV is not all that great. There are pro's and cons.
    What I find most useful from my GTV is the full remote with keyboard, it will also control my Pioneer VSX-01thx HT. Power, volume, source, etc. all with the provided remote.

My new Samsung UN55J7100 Smart TV which is an Andriod TV, remote has no keyboard and can't power cycle my HT. The app library is also very limited, for instance there is no app for ESPN 3 or NYRA, or Google Earth to name a few, there are more missing. The web browser will hang after giving it a workout requiring me to unplug the power to the TV to allow it to recycle.

Another big issue I am having with the built in Andriod is the audio output to my HT. With GTV the HDMI went from the GS7 to my HT and then out to the TV so I would get the source audio off the HDMI cable and the HT would decode accordingly. With the built in Andriod on the TV I have to run an optical cable to the HT from the TV which is no big deal, but the Samsung does not send the proper audio down. It will always chose to send PCM. I can override manually at the TV for Media Server and onboard app (ie Netflix), but I should not have to do that, the TV should always output the native audio format of the source file out the optical by default. Also it seems my only choice with content from the Dish receiver (722) is PCM. This was not the case with GTV.

Right now I have to use three remotes:
    Samsung for HT volume, channel surfing, apps selection, audio switching, TV power
    Ht remote for HT power
    FAVI Bluetooth remote for keyboard entry.

Unfortunately I cannot pair my Sony GS7 remote with the TV.

At this point I can not recommend Samsung Smart TVs to anyone.

What I need to see from Andriod TV in order to compete:
    Bluetooth/ir blaster remote included or the ability to pair any Bluetooth/IR remote.
    (Complete control of TV and HT)
    A better implementation of the App Store.
    Native audio of source content out thru the optical output.

It could be samsungs implementation of Andriod TV but to me it seems like GTV was the superior solution.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  10. magearden

magearden New Member

I've had my GS7 for about a year, and I don't regret buying it, best purchase I ever made but judging from what was posted in that support thread. I can only assume that Google discontinued support for Google TV thus shutting down the servers that Google TV used to update and download apps. Therefore anyone not experience issues are probably very lucky (could be that their slowly phasing out by region) those that are lucky probably shouldn't do a factory reset, under any circumstances. :/ unlike me :( *sigh* GS7 R.I.P

11. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The Samsung Smart TVs (before the 2015 models) are based on underlying android - but it would be Samsung's own implementation and DEFINITELY NOT from the official Google Android TV platform. Samsung now has all of their 2015 Smart TV models based on their own Tizen platform (no more android).

The televisions out now with the official Google Android TV platform include sets from Sony and Philips. The Nvidia Shield box is supposed to be the best Android TV box right now. None of the Android TV boxes have the "pass-through" feature with primetime guide - however the official Android TV television sets do have the pass-through feature.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  12. sointense

sointense New Member

Whats interesting is my Vizio CoStar is still working like a champ, I've done updates and loaded new apps just to check, and its all good.

13. sointense

sointense New Member

Thanks for clearing up how the 2013 Samsung's handled apps. The biggest thing I miss is the unified remote which controlled everything very simply.

14. magearden

magearden New Member

Update: So, I finally got it working again. I tried an alternative workaround posted in the thread that I linked to earlier in a post and it miraculously worked, now I'm able to update and download apps again YAY

What I did:
    1. Removed my main account from the device
    2. Signed up for Google+ using my main account
    3. Re-added my main account now tied with Google+ back to my device
    4. Quickly Rebooted my device and then signed on to Google Play Store
    5. Was able to finally update and download apps without any error

Also made sure that my date and time on the device were correct before opening the Google Play Store :)

15. sointense

sointense New Member

Thanks for the update!!

Unfortunately I have not been that lucky. I have ended up taking the Sony out of the equation and have managed to make due with the smart functionality of my Samsung TV, which it turns out decodes my DTS and plays some other formats that the Sony seemed to fail on.
    I now need to replace the CoStar and not so smart flat screen in the other room
    Good luck in the future with your Sony!!

16. guest

guest Active Member

I followed those four steps and the problem still exists!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  17. papg

papg New Member

ERROR MESSAGE WHEN TRYING TO DOWNLOAD APPS OR UPGRADES?
    I had the same problem as a lot of people of not being able to download apps or any upgrades. Called Sony and Google and spent nearly two hours of useless time. We did a reset and everything under the sun. These guys promise to call you back within 24 hours after giving you a case # and never do, I had to call them back . I had my unit which I purchased from Best Buy for two months before I got the issue fixed by myself. HERE'S WHAT FIXED IT FOR ME. YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE YOU GIVE GOOGLE YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER IN CASE YOU WANT TO PURCHASE APPS,MOVIES ETC. I did not originally do this because I wasn't intending on purchasing any product. I have a google account with all the details but unless you set it up with a credit card it will not work!! You will get an error message that everyone else gets. Sony and Google NEVER mentioned this or maybe they just don't know!

18. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Thanks papg, will be sure to add a credit card to my Google account, it isn't like I have to buy anything once I do that.

19. papg

papg New Member

That's right, you don't have to make any purchases. Hope it works for you because it did the trick for me after trying everything else.

20. abby777pr

abby777pr New Member

Hi Magearden

PLEASE Help me
    I have GTV from Logitech
    I did it everything
    Does not works to me
    Please!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015