Quantcast

Better way to steam Video from pc?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by trudinh, Dec 10, 2011.

1. trudinh

trudinh New Member

OK, i got Alot of movie on my computer and i been using the media player to steam. And it not really a good experience.
    -Sometime it cant play the video, sometime it can. kinda weird. sometime pop up this (message-file has been corruped) and sometime it dosnt pop up that message and it work fine.
    -Very laggy browsing experience.
    -Very laggy fastforward and rewind.

Is there a better way to steam video from pc to googletv?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

My suggestion is to convert your movies to a single format that is compatible with Google TV. This avoids "file/corruption message" and any performance issues in transcoding necessary to play them on Google TV. For example, my NAS uses a low power 500Mhz Marvell processor and it is able to stream all my videos from my library to Google TV. However, that's because I have made sure that my videos have are using the MP4 container with H.264/AVC video stream and AAC audio stream. I have used Format Factory and AVS Converter to accomplish this.

3. trudinh

trudinh New Member

ya, converting take like hours for 1 movie, i have like over 40 movies i think.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's not that bad, just setup the queue and let it do the conversion on its own. I had over 200 movies when I did it and only took about four days to complete.

5. trudinh

trudinh New Member

hey, what video converter do u use to keep it HD. And can i convert it to m4v file so i can put a cover on it? or is there another way to put cover on movies. by cover i mean the Movie Dvd cover. i want to put a cover on a video like how u can put one on music file.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Either Format Factory or AVS Converter will allow you retain the original resolution or scale it. I use Meta-X for embedding cover art into the MP4 files.

7. trudinh

trudinh New Member

ty. but i uses the same convert as u but when i convert mkv into mp4 it loses alot of quality. i picked the ps3 HD 720p setting.
    Is there a way to embedding cover art into mkv file? if there is, then i wouldnt have to covert to mp4.

EDIT:ya i dont know what setting u use but when i covert it loses it quality. it very noticeable on a 64in tv.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  8. trudinh

trudinh New Member

For a Smart Tv/Internet Tv, I would expect it to be able to play ever video codec or someone atleast make an apps that play ever video codec.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It is very doubtful that you are using the same conversion method as me. Especially, if you're using a single pass profile. If you are using AVS Converter's "To MP4" format and you do not want to lose picture quality then I suggest you use these settings:

• Video
      • Video Codec: H.264/AVC (Advance Video Codec)
        • [Advance]:
          • Click "Restore Defaults" button
          • Encoding Type: Multipass - First Pass
          • Target Bitrate: 5000
          • Start File: C:\User\<username>\Documents\h264.pass
      • Frame size 0 x 0 [Original]
      • File Type: [mp4 iso v.2]
      • Frame Rate: [Original]
    • Audio
      • Audio Codec: MPEG-2/4 Audio
      • Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
      • Bitrate: 960 kbps
      • Channels: 3/2+LFE 5.1

Now, save that profile as "MP4 First Pass" then change the Encoding Type to "Multipass - Nth Pass" and create another one called "MP4 Next Pass". When you go to encode your videos for the first time use the "MP4 First Pass" profile. Examine the quality of the video if it is suitable. If you see any imperfections then use "MP4 Next Pass" and rerun it. Each time you use next pass it should improve the picture quality. Most of your movies should do fine with the one pass. Sometime you might have to do one more for high speed action scenes or transitions. Any more than that is overkill in my opinion.

Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar all the tools available with MKV files. Sorry. You're just going to have to find someone else who is more experienced with them. Maybe try seeking help in the AVS forums (AVS Forum).

I certainly agree with you. However, there are licensing and technological limitations which prevent this possibility. Google has improved the baseline of formats compatibility for Google TV in the Honeycomb update. However, Google continues to place the onus on the their manufacturing partners to further augmenting its compatibility as they see fit for their target audiences. It is just unfortunate that neither Sony or Logitech has gone very far out of their way to improve compatibility in this capacity. Sony included DTS codec with the Blu-Ray Player and Logitech implemented FLAC codec.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  10. trudinh

trudinh New Member

I see who u mean, what all the copyright stuff out there i guess it impossible for sony to get all the codec.

And thank for the setting i will try them out and reply back later later.

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. But, I had the directions out of sequence. I forgot "Restore Defaults" in this application restarts all the options in every tab. So, you should click "Restore Defaults" before making the other changes. I have edited the original post for clarification.

12. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

And thanks for these settings. I used "any video converter", but was able to transpose the settings fairly easily using the programs templates. Converted one of the files I was having trouble streaming with and the converted file is playing great and still in HD.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. Though, I have to admit that I hadn't used those settings in a while. Tried it today and it seems that there were some AVS updates since I last used it. The respective output is now inoperable on my devices; including the PC that I used to convert them (LOL!). Guess that I'm going to have to go back and play around with the settings again to find exactly which option(s) is breaking it.

14. snook789

snook789 New Member

Have your tried Plex for Google TV?
    I love it!

15. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

Well... I stand corrected, woke up this morning to see what happened to my batch update, and only some of them are better.

Is there some kind of freeware or something that I could use to see what settings a particular video are, so that I can copy those to the non working ones?

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Remember if you're using a mutli-pass setting, then running it more than once or twice will often give you better results.

You can use MediaInfo to get an idea of the encoding settings. However, if they were using a variable bitrate encoder then the numbers will be off since it will be listed as the average number. Remember the whole reason the settings are available is to let you determine between time required vs quality of the encoding.

17. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

Well, I put one of the movies onto a USB drive and plugged it right into the GTV box.... low and behold, it lagged just the same. Then I tried it through the basic GTV media player and it worked fine.... tried streaming through the GTV media player, also played fine. Looks like its just a problem with GTVBox. I sent a message to the developer and was told that there will be an update soon to improve performance.

18. boamek

boamek New Member

eferz: What settings did you use for FormatFactory? I've tied a few and have had no luck so far.

Thanks

19. EmeraldSkylark

EmeraldSkylark New Member

nice post,.......

20. alyaba

alyaba New Member

Try Plex, its a great app I have it on my mac, phone, tablet and GTV. Works great for me.