Quantcast

Better 3D, Voice Control, More Apps: How CES 2012 Will Advance The TV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 16, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Better 3D, voice control, more apps: How CES 2012 will advance the TV | - CNET Blogs
    (click for full article)

"Welcome to CNET's predictions for the TV hardware category at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
    Dave Katzmaier here. I want to do something different for the 2012 CES preview. After nearly 10 years of handling TV reviews and coverage at CNET essentially by myself, I'm now joined by a colleague whose main beat is also TVs: Ty Pendlebury.

He's already written a few reviews and blog posts, done his share of videos and podcasts, and he also has plenty of experience reviewing TVs for CNET Australia and has attended CES in that capacity. So we decided it would be cool for Ty and I to write separate CES TV previews and lump them into this post.

Just to keep it interesting, neither of us consulted with the other on what we're writing here, so look upon the repetition not as tedious, but as further confirmation of the inevitable near future."

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. CatfishRivers

Cloud music, less 5.1, slow death of discs: Home theater trends for CES 2012 | - CNET Blogs
    (click for full article)

"CNET
    Cloud music, less 5.1, slow death of discs: Home theater trends for CES 2012

by Matthew Moskovciak December 16, 2011 2:18 PM PST
    comments0
    inShare
    10More

Blu-ray players may be around longer than you'd think.
    (Credit: Sarah Tew/CNET)

You may still be trying to figure out what products to buy this year, but CES 2012 is less than a month away, and I'm already thinking about what's likely to be new in home theater. In prior years, the big CES trends in home theater were obvious before we even got to the show (3D, rise of Blu-ray, emergence of streaming video), but CES 2012 seems much less predictable.

The slow death of discs

It's no longer appropriate to say that streaming video is the future of home theater, because the future is now. Even still, disc-playing home theater gadgets won't totally disappear at CES 2012, although they'll continue emphasizing their streaming video features more than Blu-ray playback. Because modern Blu-ray players handle so many legacy disc-based media formats (Blu-ray, DVD, CDs), we wouldn't be surprised if they stick around longer than you might expect, as a catchall solution for your old media.

More Google TV?

I was expecting a handful of new home theater gadgets to feature Google TV at CES 2012, until Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt said that he expects half all TV to have Google TV by the summer of 2012. If that's actually true (and I'm skeptical), there could be a lot more devices with built-in Google TV than I originally thought. And while I still think Google TV has its fair share of issues, more widespread adoption will make it more attractive for developers and could convince Google to devote more resources to the seemingly neglected platform."

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  3. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

GoogleTV could make a comeback. But even with HC update, it still needs work. An intuitive interface is not google's forte. They could definitely learn from apple. I hope with ICS, they get things right...assuming it ever comes to revue.

4. CatfishRivers

CES Emphasizes Multiscreen Choices

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/ces-emphasizes-multiscreen-choices/211059 (click for full article)

"LAS VEGAS-Earlybirds to the 2012 International Consumer Electronics Show will face a Monday night choice: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's traditional keynote peek into his company's next products at the Venetian Hotel versus ESPN's live 3D big-screen telecast of the Bowl Championship Series college football game at the Hilton Hotel Theater.

And the choices of what to see and do get even more complicated during the next four days, Jan. 10-13, as 2,700 vendors and hundreds of conference sessions vie for attention from the expected 140,000 visitors. Internet-connected TV will be omnipresent as will wireless tablets. Sony is mum about whether it will preview "the new kind of TV set" that its CEO Sir Howard Stringer teased in the Wall Street Journal last month.

But even without such breakthroughs, CES will be packed with new product and distribution developments, such as the timetable for 21:9 display formats, new 3D TV configurations, and services from members of the Open Mobile Video Coalition (and the programmers/station groups supporting Mobile DTV).

Deals such as LG's pact with Google TV and iterative revelations from Dolby, Intel, Motorola and countless more are on the agenda. There will be plenty of "cloud" products and discussions, including a look at real UltraViolet video distribution. The Consumer Electronics Association, which produces CES, expects 20,000 new products will debut during the 2012 show. "

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  5. CatfishRivers

In Which We Reveal The Top CES 2012 Trends Without Breaking Embargoes | TechCrunch
    (click for full article)

"CES 2012 is going to be a crapshoot of predictable products. How do we know? Meetings, lots and lots of pre-show meetings. Like previous shows, Apple will not be present in person but still has a major presence.

Consumer electronic companies are seemingly trying to build product lines and feature sets that compete directly with current and future Apple products. It's as if these companies are prematurely releasing items just to head off Apple. The iPad took them by surprise and they're not going to let that happen again - even if that means announcing and releasing half-baked products.

So, what can we expect to see at CES this year? What are we going to cover live at the show? Read on."

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  6. CatfishRivers

With Microsoft Out, Who Will Keynote CES 2013? | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    (click for full article)

"A CES tradition is coming to a close: Microsoft will not appear, let alone own the keynote, at next year's consumer electronics trade show. But with ending traditions come new opportunities, all begging the question: Who will deliver the CES keynote in 2013?

On Wednesday afternoon, Microsoft's Frank Shaw announced in a blog post that 2012 would be Microsoft's last year at CES. Next year, the company won't be hosting a booth (well, it's been more like an all-consuming Microsoft pavilion), and its run of 14 straight keynote addresses will be over.

"We won't have a keynote or booth after this year because our product news milestones generally don't align with the show's January timing," Shaw wrote in the blog post.

Microsoft cited a few different reasons for the decision. Shaw explained the company asked itself a few questions in order to decide the best course of action."