Quantcast

Best Set top box

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by hohums, Apr 21, 2013.

1. hohums

hohums New Member

Hi,

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum section.

I am having a lot of trouble figuring out what box to get. There seems to be no recent comparison of the devices or features offered. Cost is not a huge issue for me. What is the best or what should I be looking for. I want to by a google TV box in the next few days.

So to summarise:
    1) What is the best Google TV Box in your opinion?
    2) What are the features I should be looking at.
    3) Do you know of any good comparison sites for google TV?

Note I am not going to wait for Google TV 3 unless it comes out next week.

Cheers.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. The following thread is a good resource for comparing the GTV boxes. (In addition the Asus Cube is being released on April 23)

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-general-discussion/7519-google-tv-fyi.html

Based on the consumer ratings on Amazon the Sony NSZ-GS7 has the highest rating at 3.4 stars (out of a possible 5 stars). The Vizio Co-Star is next and currently rated 3.2 stars on Amazon. However you should note that currently the Vizio Co-Star comes with the new GTV Vudu app - while the Sony NSZ-GS7 doesn't currently have the Vudu app.

IMO if cost and the VUDU app aren't important for you then your best bet will be the Sony NSZ-GS7.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The best for my needs is the Sony NSZ-GS7. I am not sure when or if Sony is going to add Vudu to the NSZ-GS7, I consider Vudu the best movie streaming PPV and purchase service but the NSZ-GS7 does have the Sony Entertainment PPV and purchase service which the others do not have. In addition to the differences in movie services, there are hardware differences and all favor the Sony NSZ-GS7 in my opinion.

USB ports - Sony 2 Vizio 1
    Optical audio out - Sony yes Vizio no
    Flash storage - Sony 8 GB Vizio 4 GB
    Backlit remote - Sony yes Vizio no
    IR control from the box for use with the Logitech K700, the only full sized keyboard to control other devices made to work with Google TV - Sony yes Vizio no
    Optional remote with microphone - Sony yes, Vizio no.
    Codec support, see the ViMu site, advantage for the NSZ-GS7 in my opinion but can vary by user needs. Video and audio formats - ViMu Player - Your Google TV Media player

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  4. hohums

hohums New Member

Thanks guys this is exactly what I needed. I'm going to get the Sony NSZ-GS7 then.

5. twospirits

twospirits Member

Welcome to the Sony Club :D

6. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

7. jschall

jschall Member

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  8. sharonj

sharonj New Member

IMO if cost and the VUDU app aren't important for you then your best bet will be the Sony NSZ-GS7.

9. jschall

jschall Member

Just curious - Why was sharonj banned? (S?)he made 6 or 7 appropriate posts within about 5 minutes yesterday. Is (s?)he a robot?

10. ChrisG8

I believe there were also several spam posts, at least I recall that, those were deleted and the posts that remain are sort of on topic but just one sentence posts which are just filler to get enough posts for spam posts with links. This post here looks OK, except the Sony NSZ-GS7 does have Vudu now in the US and it is just another one sentence post.

11. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Yes her "seemingly" legitimate posts were just a ruse to get her post count up to 10 so she could post links. She then made 2 totally nonsense posts with links to wholesale jewelry below those posts. She was reported by the spam police (yours truly) to the administrator -;)

• Like Like x 2
  12. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^
    if you really read his posts, he was just coping & pasting one line from a previous post, that’s all :rolleyes:

13. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Back on topic,

Here are some charts & info to compare between GTV set-top boxes.

*** Google TV FYI *** :)

14. Alax.L

Alax.L New Member

hello to all!hohums is so lucky, i hope someone can help me i want 10 google tv box ,just thinking about the brand of ENYBOX.my friend in this website recommend me MK908 quad core & CX-919 quad core , they are greatest mini pc available in the market now ?i make an order 5 from ETV -Ali shop , and 5 from Hideerbut the sales tell me that need to wait 2 days after payment. i need the mini pc in urgent , do u guys can recommend me great link?if ok, i will buy more cherrsAlax

15. 007_shark

007_shark New Member

You should include the ASUS Cube in the chart which comes with HBO to Go and Crackle apps.

16. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Love to. I just have no access to one of those boxes (to test audio format … native apps … etc ...) but you can always post in this thread & list all you can find.

17. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

Are they native apps or weblinks?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

18. ChrisG8

All Google TV boxes I have seen have at least attempted web links for browser playback of HBO Go and Crackle. I have used the Crackle web app, never had an HBO subscription so I can't say whether or not it has ever worked well.

There is zero chance a native app for those services will be or has been developed exclusively for the Asus Cube and won't be available for the others. I would be very surprised if Asus gets apps for those services first in light of the minuscule user base for the Asus version.

19. 007_shark

007_shark New Member

I will have to dive into more to see if they are native apps or not. I know they show up as apps, while tune-in and the such have the weblink icons.

Of course, once the the JB rollout hits, we should have all the major apps shortly thereafter which will make the GTV devices much more mainstream. Google stated that a few partners have already been working with JB on the Google TV platform so hopefully updates will be soon.

UPDATE: Yes they are just weblinks using the apps' icons.

Last edited: May 16, 2013