Quantcast

Best server set up for on the fly transcoding

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by pittsoccer33, Dec 17, 2011.

1. pittsoccer33

pittsoccer33 New Member

For years I have been remuxing bluray discs and dvd to .mkv and .mpg, respectively. I take the main movie and either the dts, dtsma, truehd, or dolby digital audio track and put them in new containers, no transcoding. This works great on my htpc, where 95% of my tv watchng is done.

Currently, I am playing with both TVersity and PS3 media server for my Revue. Here is my goal:

Pass video codecs h264, vc1, and divx video to the revue.

Pass audio codecs ac3, aac, and mp3 to the revue.

Transcode mpeg2 video to someting playable (passing compatible audio through if possible)

Transcode dts audio (passing compatible video through if possible.

PS3 Media Server seems to be the best set up for the task, but I cannot seem to make any transcoding work on the revue. Transcoding to mpeg2 video seems to be the standard setting and I'm still getting hung up on how to deal with dts.

TVersity does not seem to have a good way to keep either the audio or the video while transcoding the other half.

Once I saw Plex was officially supported I thought that would be the end all solution, but it cannot transcode at all. What exactly is it for then, just a fancier frontend?

Any help would be much appreciatedi. I was hoping we could figure out a step by step guide to helping people deal with the widest raange of file types in the most efficient way possible

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I recently found out that that "PowerDVD 11 will transcode video files to H.264/AAC/M2TS" as a DLNA server. I haven't bought it yet to try it out though. The notion of transcoding usually ends up degrading the quality due to the nature of having to keep up with the live stream. That is why I have been hesitant to go ahead with the purchase even though there's a 50% holiday sale for it. However, PowerDVD usually uses codecs that support hardware acceleration if its available. That's why it is always included with the nVidia iON based HTPCs with the ATOM processors.

3. pittsoccer33

pittsoccer33 New Member

I'll willing to pay within reason for a solution. Could be worth a look. I moved away from powerdvd when arcsoft stepped up with a great windows media center add in.

This is a bedroom tv I want to send it to. Quality isnt really a concern. I don't watch enough movies to invest a lot of time into re encoding and I don't care if the resolution is 1080p or 480i, but if I could set something up to allow the revue access to the files it would be worth it.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

See if you can download the PowerDVD 11 demo. Unfortunately, my trial expired months before I knew this was an available feature.