Quantcast

Best Android Tablets

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by guest, Nov 13, 2013.

1. guest

guest Active Member

Best Android tablets - CNET Reviews

November 12, 2013
    Unlike Apple's closed system of hardware and software, the open-source nature of Google's Android OS makes it inviting for many hardware manufacturers to try their hand at making an Android-based device. That said, it's a system that has been slow to bear fruit when it comes to viable competitors to the Apple iPad, but that seems to be slowly changing.

The following five tablets represent the highest-quality Android-based tablets currently available.

2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

A fascinating exclusion of the Kindle HDX which is arguably the best non-Apple tablet on the market; but of course while it's based on Android, it lacks some significant Android features.

3. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Apple's iOS is a slimmed down version of OSX which is essentially NeXTSTEP with a neat GUI which itself is essentially Berkely Unix with a neat GUI as opposed to an X Windowing based UI. A lot of OSX is open source, hence Darwin, and moreover Apple uses many standard electronics' components in their devices.

It's getting a bit annoying hearing about how Apple is so closed while Google is so open. I don't even know what that means anymore.

Companies are not all making the same things and product differentiation is a good thing. The real issue here is not open or closed. It's ad based versus software based to sell hardware. Google makes its money off ads and traditionally Apple has made it off hardware and to a lessor extent software.

It's been a long time since the IBM PC was reverse engineered and everything ran on everything. The walled garden thing is yet another example of sloppy journalists who can't seem to come up with anything unique to say and keep recycling the same old things using different words.

Philip

4. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

The Kindle HDX is a very nice tablet. My Samsung Note 8.0 is great for what I want. It doesn't seem to be pure Android, whatever that is, but has Samsung functions for most of the main Google ones. In fact it runs best if you don't let the Android services run, well those you can stop. I went from a 75% battery drain overnight to a 4% drain by stopping them with zero loss of functionality! I get the feeling that Samsung would love to do what Amazon has been able to do with the Kindle. They want to control what runs best on their hardware. There is a lot to be said for that.

Philip

• Like Like x 2
  5. jonw747

Oh, I know exactly what it means. It's like the difference between using an Xbox and a PC. On the PC I can navigate to a web page and download an app and just run it. For better or worse, once I've let that App install itself it can take advantage of any H/W on my PC or just take the whole thing over. Xbox, otoh, will only run approved Apps that have agreed to share profits with Microsoft ... just like Apple and iOS, Sony and PlayStation, etc. Android being an open operating system, means if Apple tries to shove "flat" down you're throat, you can throw it away and load up whatever version you prefer. If you don't like that, then you can try your hand building your own, or trying a build that someone else has made.

If these are things you have no use for, and you like that someone is vetting the Apps ... then of course it wouldn't matter to you; but that's what it always come down to. What do you want to do with the box? What are you willing to pay? What are you willing to put up with? etc etc.

6. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Well kind of ironic given that we keep talking about side loading apps, proprietary Android hardware and so on... There seem to be so many versions of Android running on proprietary hardware that it would be nice to know which one is the real deal. Maybe it's all just Linux and Java and a bunch of stuff taken from Windows.

I don't care to assemble my own PC from parts like I used to. Those days are over as are the days of downloading an app and having it run on win8, well those days are almost over. Google seems to be trying to force everyone through the Play store. Sounds very similar to the Apple approach.

In any case nothing stops you from running Darwinin on suitable hardware and from there the GUI stuff can be dealt with. I don't feel Android as promoted by Google, or Chrome OS, is anything more than a means for Google to peddle more ads. The whole open thing is an illusion.

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110

7. jonw747

Well, of course Google is in business to make money, that's why they bought Android in the first place. :)

Anyway, the open-ness of Android is no illusion. We have more devices at different price points thanks to it. But yeah, the proliferation of h/w platforms can at times be a drawback for s/w compatibility. If it doesn't effect you it doesn't effect you, but that doesn't make it any less real or important to those who can't get things done with Apple's closed system.