Quantcast

Awaiting my Vizio Co-Star (noob here for Co-Star) any advice?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Whiteicedmstech, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Whiteicedmstech

Whiteicedmstech New Member

So I decided to go ahead and order this off of Amazon since I had enough free credit for one.

For what it's worth (F.W.I.W.) I have a rooted Sprint Samsung Galaxy S III and a Rooted Nexus 7, iPOD Touch 4g, Roku HD.

I have Comcast Xfinity Cable service and XBOX Live and Playstation 3.

Once I receive the Co-Star I figured I would hook it up and let it update to the latest software.

Can anyone recommend any suggestions/advice/suggestions to best utilize my new Co-Star once I get it from all of you that have had it for a while and optomized it for best performance overall? Is there anything equivalent to rooting the Co-Star like there is for the Galaxy S III and/or Nexus 7 on Android?

I also have Netflix, Plex, Playon, Amazon Prime service as well.

Thank you for any help and advice/suggestions to help a brand new, wet behind the ear, n00b to the Vizio Co-Star world,
    Whiteice

2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

The first thing want you for your new Co-Star are these HDMI 1.4 cables found here
    http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-cores-picture-pixel-crystal-clear-video.html ... The main link is there also, plus you want CAT #6 ethernet cable, DO NOT use a WiFi connection with the Co-Star, if possible ... After you have installed the last firmware update (v4.6.0) do a hard reset and do the start up set up all over again (now you can add your apps) Install the Cache Cleaner app (See Instructions At The Link Below) ... Read the "DropBox" set up instructions for sideloading apps to your new Co-Star ...!

You have the Xbox and PS3, I personally would not run them running in a pass through mode with the Co-Star ... Go here to post # 1 http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...io-co-star-reviews-your-hands-experience.html and read too ....

• Like Like x 2
  3. Whiteicedmstech

Whiteicedmstech New Member

Thank you Wisdom for the response and information. I very much appreciate it.

Ordered a few HDMI cables and CAT #6 ethernet cables.

I was wondering, with the Chrome browser, does it work the same as the Chrome browser on PC where there is a Chrome store and you can add plugin's to the browser? Is that something you can do on the Co-Star version of Chrome?

Thank you,
    Whiteice

4. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Check out the new ChromeMote, plus their is suppose to be a new chrome Google TV web browser coming very soon .... Maybe ESPN3 too, only rumors at this time ...!(l0l)

• Like Like x 4
  5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

At the current time GTV doesn't support Chrome plug-ins. It was mentioned by Google (a while back) that this was something they were looking into as a 'possibility' for the future with GTV. By the way - the same thing has also been said about NDK support.

Both of these things would be huge for the GTV platform IMO. But alas instead Google rushed to push out voice search for GTV. So no official time frame or announcements about Chrome plug-ins and NDK support have been made from Google - just vague statements. So all we can do is wait and hope.

It would be nice if the GTV Chrome browser was updated - because it's on a modified version of Chrome 11. Also GTV currently has Flash 10.2 - and Google has confirmed that GTV will never be updated to Flash 11. In fact eventually they plan on purging Flash altogether from the GTV browser.

At any rate, let's just say the claims that Google/manufacturers used to make about GTV being able "to surf the full internet" - are no longer accurate. You will be able to surf and stream "most" web sites & videos - but not all of them. (GTV doesn't support Microsoft Silverlight).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013