Quantcast

AV Receiver or HDMI Switcher? What do you suggest?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by twospirits, Jun 29, 2013.

1. twospirits

twospirits Member

I honestly don't know if this is the right section to post this question since it involves Google TV (using the Sony NSZ-GS7) and a Roku 3 and another hardware component (AV Receiver or HDMI Switcher) so bare with me. If it is in the wrong section, mods please move it. :)

Ok, been using the Sony NSZ-GS7 for quite some time now and I am still loving it. Yet upon looking at the excellent comparison chart by revue5 here, I am wanting more. So it seems that my next purchase would be to get a Roku 3 since it has Hulu Plus, HBO Go, Epic, and Crackle that the Sony does not. I'm no longer a TWC customer so the TWC TV app or blockbuster one I won't use anyway.

So being that is the case, (having both a Sony and a Roku), according to the next 2 graphics by revue5 showing the possible setup it seems that they all tie in either using a AV Receiver or a HDMI switcher.

Therefore, a few questions for those that have multiple set-top boxes...

1-What do you guys use to tie them together, a AV receiver or a HDMI Switcher?
    2-What are the Pros and Cons of using a AV Receiver or HDMI Switcher?
    3-Any recommendations (brand, price etc)?

Thanks

TS

2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I use both HDMI (Special $2.00 plus HDMI cables THE BEST FOR GTV DEVICES, see my HDMI cable thread http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-cores-picture-pixel-crystal-clear-video.html ) ... I use the HDMI Switcher to, a must have ...! AV Receiver, I have a Sony AV receiver 7.1, (Home Theater System) with "Bose Speakers, because it has so many audio option modes ... I love the Sports Stadium Mode, it makes it sound like you are inside the Stadium at the game, sweet ... Plus it has so many bells and whistles at a very low cost ...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If you want surround sound in addition to HDMI switching, you want an AV Receiver with HDMI audio/video processsing. If not, then an HDMI switcher will be preferred. I would think you want surround, 5.1 or 7.1 with speakers requiring a surround sound amp of some sort. I prefer Yamaha and have three Yamaha AV receivers in house. None of my models are current but a current model Yamaha AV receiver is about $300 these days.

4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^
    +1

Hi,

FYI,

• "HDMI Switch Box" only passes-through A/V signal "as is" to the TV, where the TV processes audio/video & drives its 2 speakers (for stereo sound).
    • "AV receiver" decodes audio signal & drives its 6 (or more) speakers (for surround sound) - some AVR may enhance the video signal (w/advance options).
    • "HDMI Switch Boxes" & "AV receivers" (mainly) are capable of acting as HDMI switchers between several hdmi-devices.

Generally, the advantage of using HDMI Switch Box is when you have more devices than your TV hdmi-inputs and you're not in the market for an AV receiver (to output surround sound).

If you only have GS7 & R3, you have the option (for stereo sound) to connect:

• GS7 & R3 (& others) directly to the TV hdmi-inputs.
    or,

• R3 to GS7 hdmi-input then GS7 (& others) directly to the TV hdmi-inputs (assuming no STB).

Keep in mind; "HDMI Switch Boxes" aren't as reliable as (newer) "AV receivers" (w/ updateable FWs).

So, here is a tip, if you in the market ... replace all your hdmi cables with new "High speed HDMI cables" ( if you haven't done so already).

see Illustration of Various Setups - here ..

have fun ... :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

The more options you have on your home network the better, go totally advance Hi-Tech in your house ...

6. twospirits

twospirits Member

Awesome responses. Thanks

TS

7. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Is this a spambot??? (w/ a signature)