Quantcast

AV Receiver / NSZ-GT1 Issue

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by NolaShade, Mar 23, 2011.

1. NolaShade

NolaShade New Member

Hello,

Here is my current configuration:

Motorola DCH3416 (Cox HD Box)---HDMI Out---> Sony NSZ-GT1
    Sony NSZ-GT1 ---HDMI Out--->Denon DHT591BA Receiver
    Denon Receiver --HDMI Out---> Sony Bravia LCD

With this setup, I get an intermittent signal on the TV. The picture goes in and out and so does the audio. It just does not work. I've ready some other posts mentioning HDCP issues but I'm not familiar enough with this to make any determinations.

I can get around this issue by connection a Digital Optical Audio cable from the cable box to the the Denon receiver and changing the input on the Denon to play the audio. The problem there is that I have no audio from Sony NSZ-GT1 and that is a deal breaker.

Is this a known issue with a root cause? Does anyone know of a workaround or fix coming soon?

• Like Like x 2
  2. galfert

galfert Active Member

Don't plug in the optical audio to the Cable Box but instead plug it in to the back of the Sony GTV Blu-ray player. You'll then get audio for both cable box and GTV. The reason you can't go HDMI through your receiver is exactly because of what you stated having to do with HDCP. Your cable provider is only allowing 2 HDMI hops and going through the receiver is one too many. Cox is aware of the problem but current Cox customers should keep complaining until the problem is fixed. They essentially need to send out an update to your cable box to allow more than 2 HDMI hops. The limitation isn't the hardware cable box that Cox is using but rather the configuration that they have programed into their equipment.

• Like Like x 4
  3. NolaShade

NolaShade New Member

Galfert,

Thanks a lot for the reply. That makes total sense. At one point, I did hook up the optical cable from the GTV to the receiver but it didn't work. I'll go back and look at the settings for the receiver to see if I missed something. In your scenario, would I get true surround sound? What am I missing out on by using the optical cable instead of the HDMI?

• Like Like x 2
  4. futureboy

futureboy New Member

If you would like to have Dolby Digital audio pass from the STB through to the optical out of the Sony Internet TV (BD version) do the following: go to settings press "Fn"+"1", select "Picture & sound" set "Audio output priority" to "Optical" and then set Dolby Digital pass-through" to "On(beta)". This will allow the BD to pass through the DD from the STB.

• Like Like x 4
  5. NolaShade

NolaShade New Member

Thanks, futureboy. I followed that setup and I now have surround sound for STB sound. But for the Sony GTV sound, Netflix and Pandora, I only have it coming through my front two speakers. Sounds is not coming through the center channel, rear channels or the subwoofer. Is that expected behavior or am I missing something?

• Like Like x 2
  6. futureboy

futureboy New Member

You have it, if you look at the AV receiver you might notice an indication for Dolby Digital and PCM. This is the way mine works. With streaming content I also see PCM(L/R stereo). So if you want surround sound with PCM you will need to change the receivers sound field to simulate surround with PCM content.

• Like Like x 2
  7. getfuggled

getfuggled New Member

Thank you for these posts. I was so frustrated that I couldn't get sound from Netflix or Pandora. I have the NSX-32GT1 and just bought a Sony home theater system today. It was so frustrating following their instructions and not getting any sound from the TV apps. They should change the instructions to indicate, if you use a cable box to hook the digital input/output cable(TOSLINK) to the TV directly(from your AVR) instead of through the cable box. Would save everyone so much time.

Last edited: May 23, 2011