Quantcast

Auto shut off GTV with this device and save on your power bill

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by chopper, Apr 15, 2012.

1. chopper

chopper Active Member

Anyone try this type of product out with GTV yet?

7 Outlet Smart Strip | Canadian Tire

The way it works is if your TV is off so is your GTV and other perriferal devices.

Any opinions on if this is a good idea or not?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The Revue was designed to be on all the time. It's a limitation of the Intel Atom CE 4150 chip that was used in the Revue. So there is no power-saving mode. However I've read reports that the Revue only uses between 12-16 watts of power. (This will be even if it is not in use). So the cost of the electricity for the Revue is pretty minimal.

Some people claim that by unplugging the Revue at night - you will be slowly damaging the RAM on the Revue. Others say it's negligible. But using a power-strip with automatic turn-off feature would have the same effect on the Revue as if it were being unplugged. Although using a power-strip would probably be more convenient.

3. chopper

chopper Active Member

Yip it's about $1.25 per month to leave it on 24/7. Yet if everyone does it the savings collectively add up on the environment. Not to mention other devices such as routers, cable boxes etc...

So the way I see it 3 or 4 15-25watt devices turned off over night and while away from home could result in enough savings to pay for itself in about a year.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The biggest difference would be the Revue would die quicker, savings if any, would be negligible after replacement each time one dies a premature death. This has been covered elsewhere and I am leaving mine powered on.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

"So the way I see it 3 or 4 15-25watt devices turned off over night and while away from home could result in enough savings to pay for itself in about a year."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So then the question becomes: "Am I damaging the Revue RAM by saving electricity - and if so - is it worth it"? -:)

6. chopper

chopper Active Member

Fair enough, thanks for the replies.