Quantcast

auto on or auto off?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by zim2dive, Jun 9, 2013.

1. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

any way to make the coStar smarter so that it would

a) automatically turn on when the cable box is turned on? (ie. from seeing the HDMI-in go active)
    b) opposite when cable box turns off

I am NOT talking about HDMI-CEC... my cable box does not support that.

My AVR will turn itself off automatically when the inputs are off for a defined period of time.

2. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

hey, possibly a reason to write my 1st Android App :) Altho

a) when you press the "power" button on the remote.. what do we call the state that the Co-Star goes in to.. fully "off" ? or can some kind of background tasks (wakelocks) run at that point?
    b) can an APK power down a device (to the same state as (a)) without having root permissions?
    c) Given that the GTV OS notifies us when the input signal is lost, wondering if this could be done with Tasker (or similar) once we get upgraded to JB.... ie. if signal lost.. start a counter.. if counter reaches 1 minute of no input signal AND some kind of check for no foreground task (ie. listening to Google Music), go to power save mode (ie. shut down)

I've filed a GTV feature request: http://code.google.com/p/googletv-i...t=-stars&colspec=ID Stars Type Status Summary

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  3. heyted

heyted New Member

a) Yes
    b) Yes

I do not generally use the power button on the Co-Star remote. To save money on the electric bill, I turn the power off to almost everything in my entertainment center using remote controlled power strips. Every night, I turn off my TiVo, Co-Star and other electricity vampire devices using a single button on a remote that controls multiple power strips. I made my own remote controlled power strips using Smart Strips with wireless Ademco Lamp Modules plugged into the control outlets of the Smart Strips. Another press of the keychain remote button turns multiple things on including the TiVo and Co-Star. Killing the power to the Co-Star may help some Co-Star issues. Anyone wanting to use this method may want to research each device to see if killing the power to it two or three times per day will shorten its life.

4. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

The power strip idea is a good one but is there a way to turn the TV (Vizio) off when the Co-star gets turned off. Otherwise I will most likely continue to leave it on and just power off the TV

5. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

with me its not so much the cable box..when I'm on my way to bed,the box turns the tv on by itself..that never happened before on my Revue..but this is an almost daiy occurence