Quantcast

Audio problem with 7.1 channel to my av

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by siulonbow, Dec 18, 2010.

1. siulonbow

siulonbow New Member

Hi,

I tried to run the optical output to my receiver for the 5.1, however, I wouldn't be able to get any sound from the 7.1 option. I can only get sound from 2 channels. The 2 channels have narrator. I have been changing around the settings, but still won't get to any sound until I switch to channel 2. Can anyone let me know how I can watch movie with audio?

*The receiver support 5.1 and 7.1. Please advice

2. gerryger

gerryger New Member

Not sure which system you have ....Sony or Logitech.

I have the Sony system. If you are talking about playing a DVD, the HDMI out from the Bluray player will carry the 7.1 signal without any problems.

Is your media source coming from a DVR. If so, the recently announced system update will pass the 5.1 or 7.1 signal thru your GTV device without the need of the optical connection. Your HDMI out is all that is needed.

3. siulonbow

siulonbow New Member

I have the GTV with Blu Ray. I have the HDMI cable running to my projector and the optical output to my receiver. Is it ok to run both HDMI and Optical out at the same time? I am getting frustrated as I have been dealing with problems with Blu Ray for a while already.

4. gerryger

gerryger New Member

How about running the HDMI from the out port of the GTV device to the A/V receiver. That will give you your audio. Then run another HDMI from the out port of the A/V receiver to the projector which will obviously take care of the video.

That's how I have mine set up. I wanted to eliminate the use of the optical connections.

Let me know if your receiver can accommodate this type of setup. What make and model # of A/V receiver do you have. Some older A/V receiver's HDMI connections only pass thru the video and not the audio, which will then require the need for an optical connection for the audio. It looks like you may have this type of setup which makes things a little more complicated (more connections).

Yes you definitly can run the HDMI and the optical at the same time, however it defeats the purpose of the HDMI cable, since HDMI can carry audio and video together. No need for the optical providing your A/V receiver can pass thru audio and video and has an HDMI out port to carry the video to the projector which I am sure it does.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010