Quantcast

Audio Language Grayed Out

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by guest, Feb 24, 2013.

1. guest

guest Active Member

I have two Logitech Revue's. One is connected to an LG 32LD350 and the other to a Samsung
    LN32C350. Both TV's have SAP, for viewing programs in multiple languages, when so broadcast.

I usually use the Samsung at night for viewing news channels, CNN, Fox, Bloomberg, BBC. These are broadcast in English. Yesterday, I tuned into a movie on HBO, channel 201. The language was in Spanish. I'm in Latin America, so that wasn't unusual. I tried going to the SAP setting to change the audio to English, but it was grayed out. I thought the cable service provider was maybe broadcasting this movie only in Spanish. (By grayed out, I mean the setting can't be changed.)

I decided to check the SAP settings on the LG TV in the other room. First I went to channel 201; the exact same movie was being broadcast in English! Checking SAP settings revealed the same audio language/preferred language grayed out.

This may be related to the problem. When I go to the Logitech Revue's System Settings/Input Devices/Select Language, "Select Language" is also grayed out.

Under System Settings/TV and AVR Receiver, I have each TV's model number in settings.

Under System Settings/TV (Set Up TV service provider), I don't have anything entered. The reason is that I'm not in the U.S.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Is my cable service provider's set-top box not correctly connected to the Revue?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Try entering a "fake" USA zip code and provider information and see if the problem persists. Also you can try setting the time to a USA Time Zone.

3. guest

guest Active Member

I don't think the problem is related to my being outside the U.S. Today or tomorrow, I will need to connect the TV's directly to the set-top box, bypassing the Revue. That will answer a lot of questions. Can I ask you this: When you go to your Logitech Revue's System Settings/Input Devices/Select Language, is "Select Language" grayed out? Can you change the language to something other than English?

4. CatfishRivers

I'm not using a set-top box with my Revue (no TV service provider) - and I do not see Select Language option at all on my Revue. I'm on the previous 3.1 OS update.

I'll also mention that from time to time some of the options in my system settings were greyed out. And then later after reboots and/or factory resets they were functional again.

5. guest

guest Active Member

I just noticed that the HDMI IN port on the Revue was not connected to the set-top box. Would that cause this problem? I'm looking at my set-top box now, though, and can't see any capability to connect an HDMI cable. This is a digital cable box; fairly heavy and large. It does have an input for a phone. On the front. it says: Interactive Digital Communications and Dolby Digital. In the back, next to the phone port, it says: Starfone, model SFT-2. I entered that model number into my system settings, but audio language remains grayed out.

I'll see if I can find the Revue's original box and see what other cables are in the box. The Revue setup guide, on page 8, does show a diagram whereby the HDMI IN port on the Revue connects to the set-top box.

Edit: I don't see any other cables in the original box. Next to the HDMI Out port on the back of the Revue, I do have an ethernet cable connected to the modem/router.

6. CatfishRivers

You'll need to get a set-top box with HDMI output to make it work with Google TV interactions. Try contacting your TV provider and see if you can switch your set-top box for another model that has HDMI output. However since you're not in the USA - if your TV provider charges extra for this - it might not be worth the added expense. Probably the best you could do is enter a "fake" USA zip code and provider - which probably wouldn't be of much benefit to you.

Are you in a country where GTV has officially launched?

7. guest

guest Active Member

No to your last question. This is a fairly modern, digital cable set-top box, with Dolby Digital sound. Is it common for cable service providers, even in the U.S., to give customers digital set-top boxes without at least one HDMI connection?

I had drafted this additional information. I might as well post it.

In my System Settings/TV Source (Set up TV service provider), I'm given two options: 1) Add set-top box manually and 2) Generic Video Source. When I choose #1, there is no TV signal playing, just a black screen. The message says: If you see a screensaver or standby screen, use your device remote to display video. I don't know what's meant by that: "Use remote to display video".

8. CatfishRivers

I'm in the USA and my TV provider is Comcast. Comcast will provide me a cable box without HDMI output if I subscribe to one of their TV packages without HD programming. If I want HD programming they charge an extra $10/mo fee and provide a cable box with HDMI output.

• Like Like x 2
  9. guest

guest Active Member

This is really strange. I have two cables coming into my house. One for internet and telephone service. The other for digital cable service. The Revue isn't broadcasting movies, the digital cable box is. Whether I have the Revue connected to the cable TV set-top box or not shouldn't matter. The Revue doesn't control the TV audio language. How could it cause a graying out of the audio language setting in the TV? It makes no sense.

10. guest

guest Active Member

I found the solution. There are "audio language" settings in BOTH the television and cable box from the cable co. Using the dedicated remote control for the cable box, I changed the settings to broadcast in English - within the cable box.