Quantcast

Audio issues with Sony's NSZ-GS7

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by callanish, Sep 16, 2012.

1. callanish

callanish Member

I've got a strange problem and I don't know if it's just a defective box, because my audio issues are only when watching my cable box. Basically, there's a sound problem because I could be watching something and then it goes to commercial and then the volume drops on one commercial and goes louder on another. Was watching the 49er Football game and the announcers were fine, but sound in the background ( The referee talking into the Mic ), you could hardly hear. Watched Bill Maher on HBO and he sound had to go up a lot higher than usual, switched it over to something else. Sound was fine, then the commercials came on, problems started all over again.

Went into the audio settings for the box, but what's strange is when I switch it from AUTO to PCM, the opposite happens. The announcers talking in the football game, you could hardly hear them. Commercials turned to their normal sound, but any dialog audio was less loud than usual. I've tried every audio fix that I can think of and nothing. Put back in the logitech Revue which was the replacement for the Sony and all my volume problems go away. Even recorded the football game to test the audio when I put the logitech revue back in where the Sony was and the audio coming out of the commercials is fine, whereas with the Sony, the volume on commercials was half the regular volume.

This all sounds like a good thing, because you're thinking low sound on the commercials....great, but that sound also applies to shows where there's voice dialog going on in the background like back at the Football studio, which I can hardly hear and have to crank the volume. I know it's an issue between the cable box and the Sony Google Tv hardware, because I'm using Google TV for movies through the USB port, watching the slingplayer, watching web video and running google music and I don't encounter any audio issues when I'm running those things on the Sony. It's only a problem through the cable box and I've gone into those settings and changed whatever I could change in there, but that didn't make any difference, so if noone has any bright ideas, this box is going back for a replacement, and if that one is the same, then I guess I won't be holding on to this Sony as the audio going down for one commercial and then fully up for another is getting really annoying. Shame, because it did everything else really well.

I'm thinking I've got a defective unit. I was just wondering if anyone has encountered this audio issue before.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

What is the make & model of your cable box?

Is GS7 connected directly to the TV(via hdmi)? Or thru an AVR? (Make/model?)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  3. callanish

callanish Member

Good question, which on hindsight, I forgot to put in which could be important.

Scientific atlanta 8240 hdc DVR is the cable box through cox cable.

I'm using hdmi from the cable box to the Sony NSZ-GS7 and then hdmi into a Sony XBR9 TV, but what I've got is a Zvox 580 home theater in a box using the digital optical connection coming directly out from the toslink connection on the TV directly into the Zvox box.

The weird thing is, which I've just found out, is that when I use the cable box analog connection directly to the Zvox, I no longer have the problem, so I'm still scratching my head on why the Sony google TV box is experiencing this problem and the Logitech Revue doesn't when using the optical connection.

There's a set of wireless headphones using the analog out on the TV, so I'm thinking I might have to use that in my setup and get rid of the toslink optical connection which seems to be causing all my problems and just connect everything using an analog hookup.

Sorry for the rant. It's been one of those Sunday's.

.......edit

Just got Amazon to send me a replacement. Hopefully the original one was just defective.

4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Your question;

Why when revue in place of GS7 you get different results? Could be for many reason,

a. via hdmi,
    Revue outputs PCM (& Multi ch 7.1 PCM).

GS7 outputs 2ch PCM, Multi ch 5.1PCM, 5.1DD, & 5.1DD+ if the show broadcast in DD but the commercial in PCM (Stereo) you may get different sounds and if the DVR audio settings set to "Auto", "PCM" or "Dolby Digital" - if the GS7 audio settings set to Auto or "Pass-through" for DD & dynamic range "Audio DRC" is set On/Off - also your ZVOX Sony XBR9 HTS seems to support 2.1 ch w/ virtual
    surround effect (not 5.1 ch).

b. The HDMI cable between DVR & GS7 is not fully compatible w/GS7 (like using the original hdmi cable from revue or standard instead of high speed hdmi cable ).

btw, with analog connections you'll bypass all digital audio output & settings.

[HR][/HR]

So, your current setup is as follows:

DVR > HDMI > GS7 > HDMI > TV > Optical > HTS

A.
    Try this,

On the TV side,
    Lower the volume down to zero (or set audio settings to external speakers).

On the DVR side,
    Find out what the DVR audio settings is set to output?
    1. Press Settings twice on remote (to accesses general settings menu).
    2. Select Audio; Digital out
    (Check what the setting is to ...)
    3. Select "Dolby Digital".

On GS7 side,
    From Settings > Picture & sound > Audio output (HDMI) > "PCM"
    From Settings > Picture & sound > Audio output (Optical) > "check box" (to enable Optical).

On the ZVOX box /HTS side,
    Set the "Surround Settings" to "Sd 1"

If not,

B. Try this,

Remove the optical cable (between TV & HTS) from the TV and connected to GS7.

DVR > HDMI > GS7 > HDMI > TV (for video & audio via TV speakers)
    GS7 > Optical > HTS (for audio via ZVOX box/HTS).

With the DVR audio still set to "Dolby Digital".
    And GS7 audio still set "PCM".

If not,

C. Try this,

Setup sill same as in "B".
    Change only the follow:

On GS7 side,
    From Settings > Picture & sound > Audio output (HDMI) > "Auto"
    From Settings > Picture & sound > Audio pass-through > Off
    From Settings > Picture & sound > Audio DRC > Off

If not,

D. Try this,

Remove the optical cable (between GS7 & HTS) from the GS7 and connected to the DVR.

DVR > HDMI > GS7 > HDMI > TV (for video & audio via TV speakers).
    DVR > Optical > HTS (for audio via ZVOX box/HTS).

With the DVR audio still set to "Dolby Digital", try it

Btw, how is the sound from the TV speakers? (without ZVOX box /HTS ).

if you still have the GS7 try the above or w/new one if you need to - good luck :)

5. callanish

callanish Member

Wow, a huge thank you for all that. I'll get the replacement box before Friday and put your wisdom to good use over the weekend.

Like you've pointed out, so many variables in play for why this could be something else, rather than just the Sony at fault here.

A big thanks for the assistance. I'll print everything out and use it as a step by step guide to troubleshoot.

Regards
    LTM

6. callanish

callanish Member

Just to close this thread. Turns out the audio problem I was experiencing was due to a faulty cable box. Got the box replaced from the cable company and I'm no longer experiencing the sound problems.The previous cable box must have been in the process of failing in some way, because when I had it hooked up to the Revue, the Revue probably wasn't connected long enough for the sound issue to show up on the cable box. Then when I had the box hooked up to the Sony, it was running on that for the majority of the time. Enough time for the sound problem to appear again on the cable box, so replacing the cable box, replacing the Sony and monitoring it over the weekend seemed to solve the problem.

Thanks again Revue5 for posting that troubleshoot information. It will come in handy if I ever have further problems.

LTM

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012