Quantcast

AT&T U-Verse H1001 Error and AT&T saying that Google TV is NOT supported w/ u-verse!

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by Schneyer, May 15, 2011.

1. Schneyer

Schneyer New Member

Hi,

I have AT&T U-Verse hooked up to my Sony Blu-Ray Player which is then connected to my 55" Vizio, all with HDMI. This setup was working okay (although getting the picture to show up was sometimes glitchy).

So, about a month ago an AT&T Tech had to come replace our Home Gateway because it died while I was on a business trip. While they were there my wife mentioned some problems she was having with the DVR, so they replaced the AT&T U-Verse STB as well. Instead of verifying that everything was working with my existing setup, the tech connected the STB directly to the TV (bypassing my Sony player) and used this to verify that things were working.

Unfortunately, when I got back from my business trip and connected everything back up the way that I had it (U-Verse STB --> Sony GTV --> Vizio TV) I started getting an error: "Unable to display video. (H1001)". This also included several steps to try to correct the problem such as unplugging and replugging in the HDMI cable, etc. None of these steps worked.

So far I've tried the following in just about every combination:

• Unplug the STB
    • Unplug the Sony GTV Box
    • Unplug the TV
    • Unplug the HDMI cables
    • Replace the HDMI cables (3 different cables tried)
    • Reboot the STB
    • Reboot the Sony GTV Box
    Nothing seems to be solving the problem. So, at this point I'm thinking it must be the U-Verse STB since everything worked before they swapped it out.

So, I called up AT&T to get them to come out and replace the box but instead they tried to forward me to their "Remote Support" group where I would have to PAY THEM to help me configure my "advanced setup". When I said this was unacceptable, I was forwarded to Customer Retention which is closed on Saturdays, so that just led to a recorded message.

So I called AT&T back and this time when I explained that it broke after their tech made a change and explained my setup again, the 1st line support person told me that this configuration cannot work and is not supported by AT&T. She couldn't understand how it was possible that this ever worked, much lest that it worked fine from October of last year until the tech replaced the box last month.

Anyway, before I call AT&T again on Monday to tell them to come pickup their box and shutoff my service I wanted to see if anyone else might have run into something similar and if they were able to find a solution?

// Sean

PS Any cluefull AT&T reps out there watching the forum that want to chime in here about Google TV and U-Verse? If I don't get this resolved I will be cutting the cord!

Attached Files:

2. galfert

galfert Active Member

If I would venture to guess I seems to me like maybe your new U-verse STB limits the number of HDMI hops to one. So you can only plug in to the TV from STB. Several Comcast customers have a similar situation where the number of HDMI hops is limited to two. So they can use the Google TV device between the STB and the TV but they cannot introduce a third hop for an HDMI receiver. It isn't the end of the world for those people because then they have to resort to using an SPDIF audio cable to the receiver rather than put the receiver inline via HDMI. If I were you I would swap out your U-verse STB for an older model or something that may not have this new HDMI one hop limitation. Now I'm only speculating on this ....I'm not really sure that this is what the problem is but it may be something worth investigating on your part. A good test would be to take the Google TV out of the configuration for testing and introduce an HDMI receiver....if it works then you know this isn't the problem...if it doesn't work then you know my guess is right and they are limiting the HDMI to one hop.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  3. csb059

csb059 New Member

I cannot see this hop issue as the problem. All STBs should be able to do at least 2 hops so that someone could put a Home Theater rcvr inbetween the STB and TV. Something else must be going on. I too have Uverse and see no issues with having the GTV inbetween the STB and TV. Hope you figure out the problem Schneyer.

4. HeathNutso

HeathNutso New Member

I've never heard of, nor can I find anything that says a component can limit the number of HDMI connections between it and the final connection. I would appreciate some link to information that describes this.

I would lean more toward an HDCP handshake problem between the Sony and the U-verse receiver and I would try different HDMI cables to correct the handshake problem before I would even begin to think about the number of connections.

Another older problem with U-verse was that they default to 480i resolution which could give you the error you're seeing. Connect it directly to your TV and see if there is a way to change the default resolution in the U-Verse box.

Also, be sure the U-Verse is turned on first, let it initialize, then turn on the Sony.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  5. galfert

galfert Active Member

The HDCP standard used in HDMI is what is capable of limiting the number of connections. There are three types of HDCP capable hardware as defined they can be: Transmiter, Repeater, or a Receiver. Note that the use of the word Receiver here is not referring to an Audio Visual Receiver but rather it is being used in a different context meaning something not related to an AV Receiver. The use of the word Receiver here means the last recipient device of an HDMI signal ..hence a Receiver in this case refers to a TV or Projector or such device that converts the HDMI signal for human consumption into a display. An Audio Receiver can also be the last recipient of the HDMI signal if the only thing it will do is output sound, and so in this case an AV Receiver can be an HDCP Receiver type device. Well actually by HDCP standard documentation a Repeater type device can also be a Receiver type device at the same time. And this makes sense as we know an HDMI AV Receiver outputs sounds (acting as an HDCP Receiver) and passes along video (acting as an HDCP Repeater). Also the number of connections per the HDCP standard limits the DEPTH of connected devices to a maximum of four devices, but it can be limited to less via its topography discovery protocol and variable limits. The DEPTH here refers to a daisy chain carrying the signal. It is also possible for an HDMI device to split the signal and there is a maximum of 32 devices. As you can see these connections will form a type of tree like topography of connections. The 32 devices can be either a Receiver type or Repeater type with only one being a Transmitter. The HDCP standard protocols enable for the Transmitter device to learn and know the topology of all the HDMI connections. Using the variables DEPTH and DEVICE_COUNT the Transmitter device can be programed to allow or limit the topology arrangement.

If you want to read all of what I summarized from the horse's mouth, here is the HDCP standard protocol documentation that explains all this in the following white paper:
    http://www.digital-cp.com/files/sta...dependent Adaptation Specification Rev2_0.pdf

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  6. csb059

csb059 New Member

Sounds like a good place to start HealthNutso. You can set the resolution on the Uverse box. Believe there are 4 choices; SD, widescreen, 720, & 1080.

7. donlobeto

donlobeto New Member

I star getting this "HDMI Error Unable to display video. (H1001-HDCP Not supported on this display)." error, out of the blue.
    My configuration (Samsung Smart TV connected to the ATT wireless box via HDMI cable), is being working for almost a year and suddenly it start showing this error a week a go.
    So, I really don't think the problem is caused by any of the claimed configurations since my configuration was working for a long time and I found that a lot of other people is getting this error as well.
    We really need a better explanation from ATT.
    After the error start Im getting a 7 steps on how to resolve the problem and some times nothing seems to work other times disconnecting/connecting power on the TV solves the problem but eventually the problem comes back and this is frustrating.

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

HDMI connection issues are more common than we would like, that is for sure. One odd thing and it is what I think has happened here, one device in the system is updated with new firmware and the result is an incompatibility between devices. Basically there is a failure in the HDCP handshake when this happens. These issues are rarer now than in 2005 when HDMI was just beginning to go mainstream but can be just as nasty when it happens. One manufacturer will point the finger at the other and tests indicate both can work with other HDMI devices so neither is universally broken for use with all possible devices. Not every combination of components can be tested with each firmware update is why this is seen.

Another firmware update is the only solution for keeping the same equipment when this happens but sometimes just changing pay TV providers is the quickest solution, nobody wants to buy a new HDTV that works with everything else in the system. Blame AT&T U-verse and see if it can be fixed by new firmware or new STB, AT&T has had to solve this issue many times.