Quantcast

At least for You Tube

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by overtimeman, Jan 29, 2015.

1. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

This is good news.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It's not necessarily good news for Google TV users stuck on the Honeycomb update (that prefer using the web version of YouTube with the GTV Chrome browser). The reason being that just as over time Flash is updated to newer versions - HTML5 also undergoes changes and improvements over time. The GTV Honeycomb devices are stuck perpetually on the outdated Chrome 11 browser - and it wouldn't be surprising if there are "issues" in the way it handles HTML5 on some web sites (including YouTube). For example on Vimeo it kind of works - but the full screen button doesn't work along with some other 'quirks'.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  4. CatfishRivers

I tested the YouTube web site with the Chrome browser on my Logitech Revue. I'm still getting the Flash version of YouTube (as the default version) for my Logitech Revue. (At least the Flash version has been working pretty good for several months now). Apparently Google has designed the new HTML5 YouTube web site to sniff out the browsers - and if the browser can't handle the new HTML5 version - YouTube will automatically set Flash as the default. I read in the comments from the YouTube blog today that certain Firefox browsers are also getting Flash as the default version (instead of the new HTML5 version).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  5. ChrisG8

I play a lot of YouTube videos, just use the Google TV app without issue.
    I don't think this really impacts Google TV users. I would think those that prefer using a web browser for YouTube can continue to do so. Most all of my YouTube viewing is done using the GTV app or GTV Frequency app. I am a big fan of both of those apps. I am on Google TV now and will try my luck with YouTube using a browser.

I have been using the Android mini PC browser a lot recently, I can't get Adobe Flash to work at all with any browser I have tried, Chrome, Dolphin and the Android browser that came preinstalled. I don't even know what that one is called but it works well otherwise. Supposedly a Dolphin Browser extension I have installed should work but not for me so I am hoping HTML5 will work with one of the browsers.

6. ChrisG8

I changed to HTML5 and played a few short videos, then went back to the site where I opted to use HTML5 and it still indicated I was using HTML5. The videos played well but I guess I don't know for certain HTML5 was used, how would I know? This is the site where I made that the HTML5 selection.

YouTube

7. CatfishRivers

You can determine if the YouTube video is in HTML5 by clicking the gear icon (on the bottom right of video) for adjusting playback quality. If the video is HTML5 there will also be an option to adjust "speed" (in addition to the option for playback quality (such as 360P, 480P, 720P etc). On Flash videos there is not that additional option to adjust speed.

The point I was making is that for most users YouTube has now "automatically" set the default setting to HTML5. However for GTV users (on Honeycomb OS) the default setting is Flash. I just tried some YouTube HTML5 videos on my Revue and they didn't play. The circle just spins around but no video ever loads. Only some forms of HTML5 are supported by the GTV Chrome browser. These are the kinds of HTML5 that YouTube says the Chrome browser on my Logitech Revue supports:

*What does this browser support?
    HTMLVideoElement -YES
    H.264 -YES
    WebM VP8 -NO
    Media Source Extensions -NO
    MSE & H.264 -NO
    MSE & WebM VP9 -NO

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  8. ChrisG8

OK, understood, I guess it is good thing our Chrome browsers support Flash, even old versions of both work for the things I need.