Quantcast

Asus Qube with Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by dtaylor, Nov 30, 2012.

1. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

2. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I didn't read it all but "Asus Q with Google TV dongle" did catch my attention. How is that possible? My guess is the dongle is not Google TV and we won't ever see a "Google TV dongle" but I am not sure what the dongle is, maybe an android stick? I am not sure we will ever see the Asus Q either.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Since apparently it uses the Marvell Armada processor that could be a hint that this device will be a real Google TV device. No guarantees of course - however I have yet to see any non-GTV android TV device running the Marvell Armada processor.

IMO we will find out for sure at CES 2013 in January.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  5. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

6. CatfishRivers

Yep -:) And the description for the app sounds very interesting!:

"Turn your Android devices into remotes! O!Mobile Control Center is an all-in-one intuitive application which combines the functions of the remote control, keyboard, navigation pad and cloud media streaming service. O!Mobile Control Center is a cloud control solution designed exclusively for Asus Qube with Google TV."

7. CatfishRivers

Hmmm. Some of the articles seem to be suggesting that this Asus Qube dongle connects to the TV via USB port (and not HDMI port)? My TV is a few years old and doesn't have a USB port. IMO it would limit the mass appeal of this device if it requires a USB port on the TV to use it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is from the Verge article. It says the dongle does not contain the processor - and it seems to indicate that the dongle connects to the TV via USB port? So this would indicate that the actual "Qube" device is not the dongle itself:

From the Verge article:

"It's hard to know too much about the Qube, as the FCC filing is not about the device, but rather a wireless dongle that connects to it over USB. There aren't even any pictures of what this dongle looks like - there are only photos of the internals (above) - and it's possible that it will only interface with the Qube internally. However, it's clear from the imagery that the dongle does not have a processor, and therefore could not simply be plugged into a television and run Google TV. It does, however, have Wi-Fi and RF connectivity, the latter being for a wireless keyboard and touchpad which would presumably be used to control the Qube."

And Engadget said this regarding the USB:

"Despite its crucial role in the Android ecosystem, ASUS hasn't taken the plunge on Google TV so far. An FCC approval for a new adapter, the Qube, suggests that reticence is coming to a quick halt -- and in an uncommon way. Rather than build a full media hub, ASUS appears to be crafting a possibly Roku-like dongle that would graft Google TV on to a host device through USB. The Qube's components aren't outlined in earnest, but it would pair up with an RF-based keyboard and touchpad for its main input."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what does: "crafting a possibly Roku-like dongle that would graft Google TV on to a host device through USB" mean? -:)

OK now I'm thinking it could turn out to be a Miracast dongle that connects any number of devices to a big screen -- including a yet to be released ASUS Google TV product.

Got it.

This could really be sweet if it is indeed a Nexus GTV product.

8. ChrisG8

We can speculate and maybe guess a few things correctly but the information available sure doesn't make much sense and sure doesn't make me believe it is an official Google TV device and if it does indeed connect to the USB port, not HDMI port, I see no way it is a Google TV device. If it is Google TV, why would it need a dongle of any kind, much less a Google TV dongle? That would be sort of like a Blu-ray player that needed to have a Blu-ray player connected by the USB port.

The only Marvell chips I have used have been in Blu-ray players but when I get a chance I will try to figure out if Marvell Armada is used with anything other than Google TV.

9. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

It is. :)

But I am not sure that it is in a stick format.

10. chopper

chopper Active Member

Perhaps it's a hardware link to a GTV device with an App to combine the 2 devices?

11. ChrisG8

Ha, you cut off the part of the sentence before the part you quoted which sure changes the meaning. My statement was "if it does indeed connect to the USB port, not HDMI port, I see no way it is a Google TV device." If you are saying it does connect to the USB port and it is a Google TV device, you will have to explain how that can be.

12. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

I mean, that it is for sure a GTV device, so it will connect to HDMI.

13. ChrisG8

That is good news, more Google TV products are what we want and Asus might make something special.

14. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

I think Engadget is off base a little. What passed through FCC seems to just be a wireless card that interfaces with the qube via USB. The qube itself I'm sure will have hdmi to connect to the TV.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

15. yorT

yorT New Member

Could it be a GTV device (Qube) that has how every many USB/HDMI dongles plugged into various TVs throughout your house/office which each USB dongle communicating with the Qube and from the central control station (phone/remote) you are able to display whatever you want on TVs 1, 2, 3, ...etc?

Just a thought as I would love to have this.