Quantcast

Asus Qube With Google TV - Update: Hands On

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jan 7, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

AnandTech - ASUS' Qube with Google TV - Update: Hands On (click for full article)

by Anand Lal Shimpi on 1/7/2013 12:00:00 PM
    Posted in Media Streamer , Google TV , Asus , Trade Shows , CES 2013

"It looks like a lot of companies are going to be dipping their toes in the TV waters this year. ASUS just announced Qube, its first Google TV device. We're on our way to meet with ASUS but for now we do have a shot of the Boxee Box-like Qube by ASUS. The Qube apparently integrates voice and motion control, although it's not immediately apparent how the latter works (it seems to be via an included remote). The name Qube comes from the cube UI that users can control with the remote or an Android app.

We just spent some time with the device, which should launch in February. The Qube uses the new Marvell ARMADA 1500 platform that other Google TV platforms use now. The Qube user interface is pretty straight forward, with each face of the Qube home to a different selection of apps/tasks. Transition animations weren;t really smooth, at least on this demo system.

The remote features a full QWERTY keyboard on the flip side, sort of like the Boxee Box remote but with a much better feel. The front of the remote has a dedicated Netflix button as well as navigation buttons as well. The remote has a built in mic for voice commands, and it also features an integrated gyro for motion sensing controls.

The chassis itself features two HDMI ports allowing for set-top box passthrough. There's an ethernet port, 2.4GHz WiFi and a USB port as well. The Qube will ship with an IR blaster with a total price somewhere in the $100 - $120 range. "

Asus Qube Google TV User Interface Experience:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. Fluthy

Fluthy New Member

That UI is terrible... ugh. Wanting to upgrade from my Revue... still thinking the Sony is the best bet.

3. chopper

chopper Active Member

More vid is out but not looking like my cup of tea here! Trying to keep an open mid as an OS upgrade could change this a lot soon:

4. chopper

chopper Active Member

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The speculation from what was apparently misinformation a couple of months back was this ASUS Qube included some sort of USB dongle for something, not sure what some kind new feature but our dream was it was going to be something different. Not something that looked different but was the same single USB, no optical audio output that it is now. Another budget model, nothing special isn't anything that excites me. I don't know about everybody else but I only have one system in house with an AVR having HDMI audio processing, I still need optical audio output on the others and that won't likely change for many years.

6. CatfishRivers

Asus Qube Google TV set-top box to cost $150 when it launches this March | The Verge (click for full article)

"Asus has its new Google TV set-top box here at CES, letting us take a good look at the Qube's distinct shape. Unfortunately, the device on hand wasn't connected to any displays, so we were unable to sample Asus' special Qube Interface. While pricing was previously unclear, Asus told The Verge that it will cost around $150, making it a bit more expensive than similar devices from Apple, Roku, and even other Google TV set-top boxes. As far as when it will be available, we were told that the Qube is expected to come out at the end of the first quarter of 2013."

7. Tye

Tye Member

Well, they did one thing right. The PIP is pushed to the far corner of the screen instead of far away from the edge like on the Revue. Gives more usable viewing to the main output.

Looks like a horrid interface, though. I wish companies would stop wasting engineering dollars trying to differentiate themselves and spend engineering dollars to make a product that works better... :(

8. chopper

chopper Active Member

IMHO, the CUBE on the screen is stupid! It would be so much better if someone just added the ability to categorize your Apps with the already fantastic bottom on the screen launcher bar thingy! I would love to see up/down arrows added by Google to the launcher for categories ie: down arrow once for games twice for Social Media. Or just simply add the ability for users to additional rows of apps with the down arrow used to access them!

9. chopper

chopper Active Member

More interesting vids: I like the categories in the 2nd vid when he closed the ugly cube thingy! Just get rid of that ugly cube in the middle of the screen and I like it! I am interested in seeing what the gestures will bring to the GTV game! And a half decent game playing in the 1st vid is priceless!

10. chopper

chopper Active Member

I am sure users who do not like the Cube Launcher can just replace it with the stock GTV Launcher. When you take this into account I think this GTV box may have some advantages especially with the 1st of it's king gesture support for a GTV box, and does this mean there is a built in web cam?

11. Fluthy

Fluthy New Member

That second video said 2GB of RAM. This box has more than all of the others correct? Everything else I have seen has just he 1GB of RAM. I see that as an advantage for this box.

• Like Like x 2
  12. chopper

chopper Active Member

Yip, that's what was listed in the specs on that German review and I actually like the look of the box as it appears to display an effort to pay attention to detail and may be another indicator of quality! Ram will be an issue as the numbers of Apps for GTV continue to grow.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  13. guest

guest Active Member

Do you think that additional 1GB of RAM increased the retail cost $1.00, $5.00, $.50 per unit sold???

14. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If true, I see it as a big advantage for the box. For whatever reason, the Google TV operating system with apps running seems to clutter the RAM and make the box unresponsive with just 1GB RAM. I do what is necessary, originally shutting down unneeded apps manually, clearing RAM then the Memory Booster apps were available, now I use those but twice the RAM would be a welcome improvement. I hope it is true.

15. chopper

chopper Active Member

Most users in the know will be willing to pay say $10-30 more IMHO for 2 Gigs of Ram! Additionally, the abilty to get rid of that horrible Cube Launcher just might save the device: GTVhacker • View topic - Stock Launcher

16. CatfishRivers

I just did a Google search for "Does the Asus Qube have 2GB of RAM?"

I got a bunch of results including articles, reviews, and specs. They all seem to indicate the Qube will come with 1 Gb of RAM. I hope that it will come with 2 GB - but if I was a betting man I wouldn't bet on it -;)

Here are links to several articles that all say the Qube has 1GB of RAM;

CES 2013: Meet the Asus Qube

http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/asus-qube-release-date-price-specs-30092/

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/asus-qube-demo/

17. chopper

chopper Active Member

I think Cat is right 1GB, 4 on board storage which seems a bit low, and 50GB in the cloud which hopefully could be used to run Apps should the 4 on board not prove to be enough!

Here is something interesting: "Operations include an embedded microphone that offers Google Voice recognition to navigate apps or web searches, while games are also playable through the remote due to a system accelerometer that puts the Asus Qube at a similar functionality to an Android handheld device, which themselves are compatible with the Qube (where available) via an official Android Asus app."

http://www.worldtvpc.com/blog/asus-reveal-google-tv-qube-device/