Quantcast

Asus Qube 23 April Release Date

Discussion in 'Asus Qube' started by jetmdt, Apr 11, 2013.

1. jetmdt

jetmdt Member

Hooray

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Asus Qube packed with Google TV reportedly launching 23 April, after missing Q1 projection - Pocket-lint

From what I gather from the article the remote has a mic and also motion control. It will be interesting to see if the mic works with Google voice search - (the Hisense Pulse remote has a mic and even though the Pulse received the GTV V3 update - their mic still doesn't work with Google search).

The other big difference appears to be that the Qube has a custom interface.

The Qube comes with 2 USB ports, the Marvell Armada 1500 processor, 4 GB of storage, and 1 GB of RAM

From the article:

"The Qube will be priced at $129 in the US. Asus will be providing 50GB of cloud storage with purchase through its WebStorage service."

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  3. brc911

brc911 New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  4. twospirits

twospirits Member

I was looking forward to his unit but that cube like UI really is annoying. Like I mentioned in the article's comments, on a smartphone or tablet which has a touchscreen that UI is fine and the cube can be flicked through using your fingers much like and android launcher does. But on a TV where one is sitting (usually) feets away from the screen thus having to use a remote, I find it a bit cumbersome to navigate. I just wish they would give the users simple menus. Granted one can possibly click on the cube (using the remote) hold down and swipe (flick wrist) if the remote has a motion sensor/gyro in it, but I still find that UI just eye candy.

As for the remote, it seems to have mics for voice control but no back lit buttons (so much for nighttime viewing).

I really truly hope that Google surprises us at I/O with some software/hardware news for GTV, otherwise it will be the same ole song. I really want GTV to succeed and be more popular.

TS

5. CatfishRivers

It looks like the Asus Qube will cost $140 (and not the $129 that was mentioned previously in the press). Well IMO the MSRP will be $140 - but eventually it will be discounted by the retailers:

Asus Cube Google TV box arrives April 24th for $140 or less - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - April 15, 2013

"The first Google TV box from Asus is set to hit the streets on April 24th, and it's already available for pre-order from Newegg, where you can reserve one for $140 (and get a $10 gift card thrown in for good measure).

That's not quite as good as the $129 price tag we were expecting for the Asus Cube, but if you've had an eye on this device since Asus unveiled it in January, the wait is almost over."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  6. jetmdt

jetmdt Member

Any advice about waiting for something else or is the Asus the one to get?

7. CatfishRivers

IMO you might want to wait until Google I/O on May 15th - May 17th. Google is supposed to be making some GTV announcements at Google I/O - and perhaps some new upcoming products will be announced.

I don't see how the Asus Qube could be heads & shoulders over any of the other second generation GTV devices (they all run essentially the same hardware and the same underlying OS). What is your opinion of the currently available GTV devices?

One more thing - if having a microphone in the remote that actually works is important for you - I wouldn't dive in and pre-order the Asus Qube until it's actually confirmed that the mic in the Qube remote works with Google voice search. This is because the Hisense Pulse also comes with a remote in the mic - and even though the Pulse has received the new GTV V3 update - the microphone in the Pulse still doesn't work with Google voice search.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  8. jetmdt

jetmdt Member

Not really sure if I like the Qube OS. I currently have an HTC Rezound with sense, the Qube reminds me of sense. Want a nexus brand of Google TV.

9. jetmdt

jetmdt Member

Btw mods need to change forum to Cube, last minute change.

10. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

In word if this box upscale 1080 contents to 4K?

11. phlunkie

phlunkie New Member

This review shows them using the remote for searching.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  12. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

with all the issues google has about being adopted by a larger audience.. asus makes perhpas the most buttuggy interface i have ever seen.. just because the processor is large enough to handle moving a bunch of pixels in a fast manner.. dose not mean that its a good idea... heck i hate rokus simple interface but at least its not spread across x y z coordinates.. that interface is just a tie in to a big cube shape and has nothing to do with ease of use.. just another fail.... gosh i hope a nexus tv box is coming.. because so far,,, color me not impressed.. cube? and a cubic launcher... how cool....

13. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It appears to me to work well but it is impossible to tell much without having one in my hands. I like the bland basic Google TV interface, all three models I use look the same and work the same but this could appeal to the market that wants something different. Two USB ports makes sense to me.

14. rtalain

rtalain New Member

I'm not a big fan of the Cube interface as well, but couldn't you just install Home Launcher and use it instead of the Asus Cube Launcher? Also, she clearly uses the microphone in the video, and it's a production unit, so I'm assuming the mic will work out of the box. I like that the unit is bigger than the Co-Star or Pulse as it will probably run cooler. So it looks like the only thing this really has beyond the usual fare is a working mic and motion control in the remote. I'm not sure if this is worth the 40% premium. . . . but knowing me, I'll probably order it anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  15. john30308

john30308 New Member

I'm hoping for the same thing - install Open Launcher. Bigger question - why would Newegg go to all the trouble of releasing a promo video of the Google TV device NOT HOOKED UP TO A TV SIGNAL! Crazy. Sure, you can see it streaming, but there are lots of streaming boxes and only Google TV does the whole Prime Time search thing. I LOVE using it on my Co-Star and hope that the Cube proves a better device. I'll switch in a minute!

I also wonder if the directional selector is touch (swipe) only, or if it "clicks". Touch only would suck...