Quantcast

Asus Cube WIFI connectivity Issues

Discussion in 'Asus Qube' started by c3nixon, Jul 9, 2014.

1. c3nixon

c3nixon New Member

Hello I have purchased 3 ASUS cube's for my home recently. I have one in my living room that I setup immediately and it is wired directly to my router. It works perfectly out of the box no issues and I have been using it now for about 4 months. Finally I have setup the other two. One in my room and one in my kids room. Both cube's can connect to the network wireless and will load netflix and amazon prime with no problem.

When trying to watch a movie or show in netflix it will load and play maybe 15 seconds at most and than give the error message "We're having trouble playing this title right now. Please try again later or select a different title" --- it does this with ANY and ALL movies/shows within netflix.

Amazon prime will also play the first 15 seconds or so. Than it will show loading for quite sometime than it will either close out of the movie or it will load it and start again for a few seconds.

First thought is maybe there is something causing interference. There is NOTHING between the router and the rooms where these devices are that give off any electrical interference. BUT just to make sure I have tried using an IPAD, a Google Nexus 7 and also my Droid DNA to watch netflix and amazon prime using the same wireless connection in the same spots as where the cube is positioned and.... they all work fine no problems.

So this narrows it down to a problem with the cubes wifi connection. I have tried changing all the wifi settings on the router. Example:
    Used every available channel
    Disabled firewall
    Removed all port forwarding
    Changed the router SSID and ONLY connected the cube by itself no other connections

And just for giggles I used a 50 foot ethernet cord to the cubes to test to see if they would work using the wire as my first one does. And low and behold they work fine when connected by the wire. But will not hold a continuous connection via wifi.

Any suggestions?

Anyone else having this problem?

Not sure that any of this information is relevant but I figure someone will ask:
    I am using COX internet connection
    Motorola surfboard modem
    Linksys (Cisco) E1000 router
    The wireless router is approximately 10 feet away through 1 wall for one of the cubes. And approximately 20 feet away through 2 walls to the other cube.
    All 3 cubes have applied the latest updates

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Do you have the original version of the Asus Cube or Version 2? The reason I ask is because Asus has stated the main difference between the 2 models is WiFi performance. In other words Version 2 is supposed to have improved WiFi performance - which suggests there could of been "issues" with WiFi performance on the original model.

3. c3nixon

c3nixon New Member

How do you check the version on the cube itself.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't own the Asus Cube and I don't know if there is a way to check version number on the Cube itself.

I can tell you that currently Groupon is offering the Cube for $49.99 and those are supposed to be Version 2. Amazon has both models but on the Amazon web site Version 2 is clearly labeled as such. Also Newegg has both models but they are currently offering the original version for $39.99. They have Version 2 at a higher price. Maybe that information helps you?

If not maybe you can try calling Asus support and give them the serial number and see if they can tell you.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  5. c3nixon

c3nixon New Member

I bought it off group on for 50 bucks so must be v2