Quantcast

Asus Cube Quick Review

Discussion in 'Asus Qube' started by ericfaris, Apr 29, 2013.

1. ericfaris

ericfaris New Member

I received the Asus Cube this past Saturday. Here are my impressions after 2 days of use:

Setup
    • I was initially impressed with the setup.
    • It was quick and efficient.
    Remote
    • The remote's build quality is fabulous.
    • It feels so much better than the Vizio remote, in my opinion.
    • The navigation from the track pad feels good.
    UI

• I was astonished on how much faster the UI felt compared to the Vizio Co-Star.
    • It was very snappy. There is no lag when navigating the UI.
    IR Blaster Support
    • The IR Blaster support is really bad. The IR Blaster is built into the box, not the remote. This is a no go for my situation. I am a universal remote user. I am used to having one remote. With the Asus Cube, I will always need two remotes because of the lack of IR support. This is really frustrating.

Overall, the Cube is the fastest Google TV box I have seen. The lack of IR blaster in the remote is the reason why I am returning it for a refund. I really feel that Asus has made a Google TV box that is about 80% of the way there for me. I am very hopeful for the announcements we might here at Google IO in May.

2. twospirits

twospirits Member

Thanks for the review,
    I am planning on getting another GTV box for my bedroom (current Sony NSZ-GS7 is in the basement where I am at most of the time working). I was looking forward to seeing if Asus had improved their UI as well as remote since it was last shown but alas they didn't.
    Besides the lack of IR blaster in the remote issue, (which I agree is a major turn off) I see no reason why any remote should not have back lit lights. It is a control for a TV and thus one would be using it at night also. The UI still looks a bit too busy for me, although I could download another launcher instead. Still debating whether the cube box look is eye pleasing or not. I do feel that all that space is wasted.

It makes me wonder if any of these designers ever venture out and read customer's wishes.

TS

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I use a single remote with Google TV to control display, AVR, and TiVo without having IR from the remote. I do this with three different models and think IR control from the remote itself is worthless for Google TV, the only model I am aware of to take that approach is Vizio and they got it way wrong. Bluetooth or RF control of the box and sending IR control from the box to the various devices is far better in my opinion and certainly for my needs. That method also means a full sized keyboard like the Logitech K700 can be used to control the devices to work in conjunction with Google TV.

I don't know whether the Asus Cube has a 3.5MM blaster jack or 2.5MM but an inexpensive IR blaster can be found with 3 emitters. I use this 3.5MM model, it isn't very powerful and must be placed very precisely to work but once placed, it has worked great for me. The supplied dual emitter with the Sony NSZ-GT1 is more powerful and doesn't require such precise placement but I like cheap. The Sony NSZ-GS7 comes with a single emitter cable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=140793090205&view=all&tid=783704024004

The seller also has a single cable available for purchase.

4. 007_shark

007_shark New Member

I think ASUS should have provided a dual IR emitter with the box because most people will need to buy one if not just for the STB and TV. My problem isn't the Cube's ability to control other devices. It is the Cube's inability to be controlled by other devices. I will research if there is a solution similar to PS3 with a IR to bluetooth converter.

5. ChrisG8

I don't think you will find an IR to Bluetooth solution to control Bluetooth Google TV boxes with a universal IR remote. I have a Logitech Harmony remote for each of three systems in my house, the Harmony One, Harmony 900 and Harmony 880 but for the display, Google TV, TiVo, and AVR I only ever use the Logitech K700 keyboard. When I move away from Google TV, I use the Logitech Harmony remotes although the only thing in the den requiring IR is a Roku LT. In the den, I have the Sony NSZ-GT1 Blu-ray/Google TV box and the K700 controls disc playback in addition to everything else which gets the female head of household approval. She never uses Roku but would probably start if we subscribe to Hulu Plus, that would require a Harmony remote.

6. 007_shark

007_shark New Member

I guess my quandary is trying to make the google box a device in my system when it is designed to be the center of the system. This would be okay if more effort was made into designing the remotes or providing 2 remotes. One designed like a cable/sat remote and then provide something similar to the K700.

7. ChrisG8

Of course two remotes would not be possible at this low price point and would make no sense in any event, let the user decide which remote is needed as a secondary remote if using the supplied remote won't work well enough for everything. The market has spoken, a full sized keyboard like the K700 was not a popular option for the majority. I had to buy K700 keyboards for everything except the Revue since it is my preferred option. My supplied little qwerty keypad remotes sit unused out of sight. I even use the K700 with a PC for the sites licensed only for a PC that can't be accessed by Google TV. With all three Google TV boxes and PC, control is very similar and simple for me since I use the same keyboard. Access to the TiVo menus and control of TiVo functions and scheduling works well also. Of course it isn't perfect since I do require the Harmony remote when using Roku or other non Google TV Blu-ray players, HD DVD players, VCRs, etc. but for control of those devices where I don't need a keyboard, I don't want to use the K700. I can live with two controllers in each room.

8. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Yep, i have three keyboards in one room controlling 2 GTV devices, two TVs and my desktop thanks to your instructions, Chris.

I'm luvin' it!!!

Carl

9. 007_shark

007_shark New Member

I think I may have found a solution to being able to control the Cube via IR. I will update if it works.

UPDATE: I managed to get partial IR control of the Cube using: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224ZDFY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    The Internet Explorer = Home, Clear = Back, D-pad works, volume and number keys also work. However, not all transport keys work specifically Play. Also no buttons for Guide and LiveTV.

UPDATE 2: I think I have figured out a way to control most normal functions via IR. This should work for all android devices 2.3+ that support external keyboards. I just need time to implement and test, and then I will post up a tutorial.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  10. tfid

tfid New Member

I use the harmony one remote to control my Sony bravia xbr9 TV. The 'control devices through HDMI' feature of the TV allows me to use the Dpad, exit/back button to control the cube. I can use the harmony for both devices without programming it or switching devices on the touch screen, and without an IR blaster to the TV.

11. 007_shark

007_shark New Member

I figured out how to control the Cube via IR. I now have full control of it with my Control 4 system's universal remote. I still use the single blaster to my Dish Hopper DVR, but control everything else with my remote. I just use the Asus remote for voice search now.

12. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

ASUS CUBE Review: Doesn't Fix What Is Broken (That Being Google TV) (click for full article)

by Liam Spradin

"Announced at CES this year, the ASUS Cube has managed to get a decent amount of attention for a Google TV Box. Formerly known as the Qube, this angular, textured device came to market toward the end of last month, and I've been living with it ever since, trying to get a feel for the product and decide whether ASUS has something special on their hands.

In reviewing the Cube I wanted to answer two main questions that I think underlie every GTV device: Is the user experience a good one, and does the product successfully make Google TV something I actually want to use on a daily basis?

That having been said, let's dive in."

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  13. simplyTravis

simplyTravis New Member

The IR blaster issue is a HUGE pain. I did not even have mine hooked up when I used the Logitech Revue so I assumed it was controlling my sound via HDMI. Apparently this box does not do that so now I can not control my volume at the AVR without purchasing an IR multi-blaster. I will be purchasing this one : Amazon.com: 10ft Visible 3 Eye IR Emitter Extender Cable by Infrared Resources: Electronics

Also, I will be purchasing a unifying receiver to make the device compatible with the Logitech Revue remote.

I love the voice functions of the device but I have a feeling my wife is going to hate the Cube remote.

14. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Did you just plug in the MCE receiver and then used your universal remote to emulate the MCE remote and keyboard?

philip

15. 007_shark

007_shark New Member

Pretty much. Make sure the MCE receiver is one that is plug-n-play and doesn't require drivers to work. Ex: Amazon.com : Ortek Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition : Audio Video Remote Control Extenders : Electronics. I also side-loaded an app on the Cube called External Keyboard Helper Pro which let me remap the incoming commands to android functions.

16. kreegaa

kreegaa New Member

hey..would you please post your settings here so i can use the same with my harmony? thanks!