Quantcast

Asus Cube Google TV Review

Discussion in 'Asus Qube' started by CatfishRivers, Apr 22, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

ASUS Cube Google TV review (click for full article)

by Ben Drawbaugh - April 23, 2013

"The past year has been a busy one for Google TV -- in fact, with the big I/O conference right around the corner, we're sitting down to review our fifth such device in the past 12 months. The ASUS Cube naturally does everything one would expect from a Google TV set-top box, but it also has a few tricks of its own, like a mic for voice search and a unique "Cube" main menu interface. At $129, it's priced just above the Vizio Co-Star and far below the Sony NSZ-G57. So how does it stack up? Let's see."

2. CatfishRivers

Asus CUBE with Google TV review - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - April 23, 2013

"Asus has released a few devices over the years designed to turn your TV into a media center. But the Asus CUBE is the company's first device based on the Google TV platform.

That means you can hook it up to your cable box and TV and use it to blur the lines between internet video and media from your TV service provider. You can watch live TV, stream video from Netflix, YouTube, or Amazon, play games, surf the web, and do much more.

While the Asus CUBE is hardly the first Google TV device on the market, Asus has taken a few steps to make it stand out from the crowd. That includes a custom cube-like home screen which lets you navigate through your Google TV apps and a multi-function remote control that works as a mouse, a keyboard, a media remote, and a microphone.

Asus loaned me a CUBE with Google TV device for the purposes of this review. It's available for purchase from Newegg for $140.

The Asus CUBE is also the first Google TV device I've had the chance to review. So I won't be able to say much about how it compares with similar devices from Sony, Vizio, Netgear, Logitech, or others. But I can tell you how it stacks up against the home theater PC I've had hooked up to my TV for the past few years."

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  3. CatfishRivers

ASUS Cube with Google TV Review | Wireless Entertainment Device Reviews (click for full article)

by Michael A. Prospero - April 22, 2013

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again. The ASUS Cube with Google TV represents the fourth generation of devices that use Google's TV to tie your online life to your television. Previous attempts, such as the $300 Logitech Revue, were overpriced, and Google TV's interface was a work in progress. However, both of those concerns have been addressed in the Cube.

At $139, this device not only provides information about what's on TV, but makes it easier to find content you want, be it in the cloud or anywhere else. Still, the Cube costs $40 more than devices such as Apple TV and Roku. Has ASUS -- and Google -- finally found the right mix of features for the money?"

4. jTV

jTV New Member

Does anybody know for how long the 50 GB Asus cloud storage will be good for? I couldn't find that info on Newegg and I doubt it's for life. ..

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

5. rehughe

rehughe New Member

Does anyone know if the remote can power on the TV, set top box, and AVR? I have not found a single Google TV device that can do this like the Logitech Revue

6. john30308

john30308 New Member

One of the online video reviews points out that the Cube's biggest limitation is just that - but limited by the IR blaster, not just remote button choices made by the manufacturer. The reviewer had to choose between controlling the set top box (changing channels) and the TV (adjusting volume). If that's true, then it's the worst of GTV devices in that regard. The verdict is still out and I'm waiting for more user reviews. Here's the review:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  7. rehughe

rehughe New Member

Why can't anyone offer a remote like Logitech did with the Revue?!?!

8. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

They can. But the real question is, should they...

Logitech Revue offered the best remote. But it did not effect sales. What these companies should be doing is partnering w/Logitech to provide an alternative KB or ensure the K700 is compatible w/their devices. Most folks that want a KB know that the orig Revue KB is compatible w/most devices and computers using the Unifying Receiver. The problem is that most new users don't want to control their entertainment system w/a keyboard. Having both a remote & keyboard option is the most logical approach.

So the focus should be shifted to include compatible accessories for Google TV devices and TVs. But I think the remote is essential to attracting new users and is the right way to go.

Just my view...

Carl

9. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

ASUS can at least use HDMI-CEC to power on/off your TV (same as Sony). You can even control Google TV OS from TV's remote.

10. john30308

john30308 New Member

MCD, I agree. This is clearly the strategy. There are just still a lot of 3+ yr old TV's out there that don't have CEC (mine included!) :)

11. CatfishRivers