Quantcast

Asus Cube change country?

Discussion in 'Asus Qube' started by courtvb, May 2, 2013.

1. courtvb

courtvb New Member

Hi Everyone,

I ordered the Cube from Amazon and received it yesterday (I'm in Canada) and I have noticed the location seems locked to US. Anyone know of a way to change the country?

Thanks!

2. john30308

john30308 New Member

Not at home, but if I remember:

1 - In one of the set up menus (AV Source I think) it asks for your zip code. See if that does it; OR,

2 - check in Settings where you change data and time. Is there a country selector in there?

Good luck.

3. courtvb

courtvb New Member

Hi, thanks for the response. I am sorry I should have clarified. I know _where_ to change the setting, the problem is that the cube seems locked to the US. In the Location settings it has an option for country, but it is greyed out on United States. For the Zip Code it only allows numbers, no letters, and thus no postal code.

Does anyone know a workaround?

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. I'm not aware of how to make the location not be greyed out on USA. However as a workaround (for accessing geo-restricted content) you could use a VPN or a sevice such as:

Home | tunlr.net

or

Unblock-Us | Setting up Google TV

Using these services will require you to go to your GTV settings and change the DNS. The services give instructions - plus there were some good tips mentioned in these threads:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/vizio-co-star/6630-vpn-options-vizio-co-star-2.html

and also:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sonys-nsz-gs7/6970-changing-dns.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My hunch is that you will be able to access geo-restricted content with a VPN - however you will not have GTV integration with your cable TV box.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  5. stresscool

stresscool New Member

ok (for accessing geo-restricted content) but how do you deal with cable box integration if you are unable to set proper location? I am in the same situation than Courtvb and seriously considering returning the item,

6. gtaguy

gtaguy New Member

Guys there is no way to change this for the time being.. These google tv boxes were made for Americans and not the Canadian market.. I suggest you do as i have done.. pick an area code and just disregard the american channel lineup/listing and learn to live with it.. Maybe when we get the Android 4.2.2 update someone might be able to modify this setting and allow Canadian adopters the opportunity to marry our boxes to our Cable carrier.

I have the logitech revue for over two years and have never bothered with this feature.. Most of my use is Netflix and the Browser to watch live sports streams and it does this exceptionally well.. the Upgrade should allow us alot more functionality..

7. marove

marove New Member

I just bought my asus cube did the software upgrade and I can use netflix because it is impossible to change the country is locked in USA. So after a while I decided to reset to factory settings pushing in the litle hole at the side of the USB port, this time I didn't update the software and voila it works. DO NOT DO THE UPDATE if you live in Canada

8. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

You can't unless you have a Sony GTV which was sold in many countries, including Canada.

Philip

9. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

What exactly are you saying? If you don't upgrade then you can change the country code and hence watch Netflix in the country where you reside?