Quantcast

Asus Cube at Groupon for $49

Discussion in 'Asus Qube' started by deadringer28, Mar 31, 2014.

1. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

• Like Like x 4
  2. saeba

saeba Active Member

Yes - with $20 rebate from Asus (http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/51/07/04/00/5107040010._V340664250_.pdf) as well. For that deal, I'm picking one up to replace my older Sony NSZ-GT1 GTV so that I can have Vudu on my second TV.

After reviewing... I guess I'll actually do a swap around - my Sony NSZ-GS7 GTV replaced by the Asus and my GT1 replaced by the GS7. The Asus has voice search which will be cool to have on my main TV (never got the voice remote for the GS7), but it doesn't have an optical audio out which I need on my secondary TV (which the GT1 and GS7 have).

Not sure I'll like the Asus Cube Launcher.... but I suspect I can replace with Open Launcher.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  3. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Is the Asus Cube considered a second Gen GTV device? Does it run Amazon Instant Video app and Vudu App? What is the status of the Cube getting the Jellybean update?

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Yes the Asus Cube is considered a second generation device and it has the Vudu and Amazon Instant Video. There is also an Asus Cube version 2 - but I'm not sure what the difference is. Nothing has been mentioned from Asus in regards to if the Cube will receive the Jellybean update. I wouldn't buy the device if the Jellybean update is important for you. The good rule of thumb is to buy a device if it has what you like now - not what it "might" get later. The Asus Cube runs the same Marvell Armada 1500 chip as all the other second generation GTV devices (I consider the Sony NSZ-GU1 dongle a third generation device and that runs the newer Marvell Armada 1500 Plus chip).

• Like Like x 2
  5. saeba

saeba Active Member

According to Groupon, this is Cube Version 2.
    Groupon Response:
    This is version 2 of the ASUS Cube. The main difference is that is has a better antenna to pick up wifi signals.

I'd say that there have been rumors about the GTV second generation devices getting updated to JellyBean (Sony GS7/GS8, Asus Cube, etc.) ... but agree that you should believe it when you see it.

For me, I quite like the functionality of the second generation devices even running Honeycomb (Plex, Crunchyroll, Vudu, Amazon Instant Video, Web Browser) and with the $30 after rebate price, it was impossible to pass up :)!

• Like Like x 4
  6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I was going to say that I noticed the Cube version 2 became available on Amazon on August 7, 2013 - which is only about 1 month before the Sony NSZ-GU1 became available. So there might be a slight chance that the Cube version 2 has the same chip as the Sony NSZ-GU1 (which is the Marvell Armada 1500 'Plus' chip). The Sony NSZ-GU1 has received the Jellybean update - but none of the other GTV boxes running the 'older' Marvell Armada chip have received the Jellybean update. Coincidence? However the Asus Cube doesn't sell well at all and IMO the huge price cuts are indicitive of a closeout for a device to be discontinued when supply runs out.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

8. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

let me get this right.. purchase this little box for 50 bucks.. through the groupon app.. i get 10 bucks off... then asus is giving me 20 bucks rebate from ASUS... heck... for 20 odd bucks... its crazy not to get this just for the plex ability, dlna, and youtube and stuff.. and the voice search remote.. even if it is a dog.. its free returns... for that price even orphan EOL products are worth the buy.. just for the gadgetness of it.. in... hang the bad reviews on amazon... i will take that 20 buck gamble all day long... I hate the interface but that can be sorted with home launcher.. in.

9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It seems like a steal to me. I had everything entered to see total amount due with sales tax but it dawned on me I already have too many Google TV boxes, including several back ups sitting in the closet and my three year old Sony NSZ-GT1s still work great and I wouldn't replace any with this so I closed it without ordering. Buying to resell is more trouble than its worth for me since I have a bunch of things I need to sell already.

10. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Sold out

11. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

welp, got my tracking number if asus holds true... i will be getting a 20 buck rebate plus the group on first time user 10 bucks... i will be out just 21 bucks all in.. not bad.. im not expecting much from this box.. i have the best google tv experience there is in the gs7 and the gt1... and if this was 40 or 50 or 140 no dice... but for 20 bucks... sure... why not.,, hang the amazon reviews... im planning on useing the k700 kb and changing the home launcher... so that might buy some speed and usability.. im not sure even at 20 bucks i would buy a costar... but all my asus tablets and stuff seem to be great build and decent op systems. so 20 bucks why not.?

12. saeba

saeba Active Member

I received my Asus Cube this week and setup this weekend. The Groupon offer made it too tempting and it fit in with a plan I had - to have Vudu on our two home theater systems (my older Sony GT1 doesn't have Vudu) and to move the Sony GT1 so I could watch it while using our treadmill (purchased an Auvio soundbar with optical audio in for this purpose and an HDMI to DVI cable to re-purpose a PC monitor). So now I have 3 GTV setups ;-)!

The Asus Cube wasn't that difficult to setup... though I did find the setup for TiVo to be a bit confusing. It took a little bit to figure that out (it fell into a category labelled BD or Internet device and I had to setup the channel list in a second step). I quickly decided to replace their "cube" launcher with Open Launcher. I have it on all three boxes which makes it much easier than using each one's unique launcher app. All the key applications I use are available on the Cube other than M-Go. I have used M-Go occasionally when they have a really good deal on a movie. Sony Unlimited Video and Music were also missing - not too surprised by that. Don't think I'll miss the Sony apps though.

The other item I wanted to try out was the voice search with the Cube remote. It is handy... though I'm still evaluating the remote overall. It's different than the Sony GS7 remote... some features I like, some I don't. I don't know if voice + remote is better than using my k700 keyboard (which does work with the Asus). The remote is certainly more compact.... but it's so much more easier to type on the K700 for those times when voice search isn't applicable. The Sony GS7 remote has an arrow keypad and mouse pad whereas the Cube remote switches between keypad and mouse modes via a side button. I find this a bit awkward. The Cube remote has buttons for fastforward and rewind whereas the Sony has these on the mouse pad. Both the GS7 remote and the Cube remote have the keyboard on one side and the mouse pad on the other... which I really dislike.

But overall... great price and now I can watch Vudu (highest quality audio/video content) on either setup and I have GTV functionality for my treadmill runs!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  13. saeba

saeba Active Member

So I've had the Asus for three weeks... and here are my thoughts on it:

It's very similar to my other GTV v2 unit, the Sony GS7. So the same basic strengths (Vudu, Plex, PlayOn, Chrome Browser, Amazon Instant Video, Vimu, Crunchyroll); one loss - no M-Go. I don't use M-Go much so not a huge loss. I did not like the Cube home app and immediately replaced it with Open Launcher.

The voice input via the remote is nice... however, I still prefer using the K700 keyboard. I kept accidentally hitting the buttons on the side of the Cube remote (to launch voice input or switch track pad modes)... and then there was the fact that it operated in "arrow mode" or "mouse mode" but didn't allow both like the K700 or Sony remote.

But the killer was that I had problems with Plex. If I enabled AC3 and DD+ sound in Plex (important in my home theater setup), shows would begin to play, but then halt playback somewhere during the show. And if I tried to resume play, there was no audio! Even after I disabled AC3 and DD+ in Plex, I still had mysterious playback issues. Given that I dropped the Cube in place of a working Sony GS7 (exact same connections and cables), I can't blame anything other than the Cube. This issue broke the deal for me... so I looked on eBay and found someone selling a Sony GS7 without remote for $30 and picked that up. Just tried it out and it appears that the issue is resolved. Don't know what they did different in the Cube or if mine was just defective in some way, but the Sony GS7s don't have this issue.