Quantcast

Asus Chromebox Is A tiny, Chrome OS Desktop For $179 And Up

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Feb 4, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Asus Chromebox is a tiny, Chrome OS desktop for $179 and up - Liliputing (click for full article & photos)

by Brad Linder - Feb. 4, 2014

-- Asus is launching its first computer designed to run Google's Chrome operating system. The Asus Chromebox is a tiny desktop computer that measures less than 4.9" x 4.9" x 1.7" but it packs a lot into that space.

The Chromebox features an Intel Haswell processor, Gigabit Ethernet, dual-band WiFi, and a starting price of just $179.

For $179 you get a model with an Intel Celeron 2955U processor. Asus also plans to offer a model with a Core i3-4010U processor in the United States, but pricing hasn't yet been set for that model. The company will offer a version with an Intel Core i7-4600U CPU in select markets.

All three models features 802.11n WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, HDMI and DisplayPort, 4 USB 3.0 ports, a headset jack, and an SD card slot. Asus tells me the case will be fanless.

Asus it outfitting the little PCs with 16GB of solid state storage and up to 4GB of RAM, although the entry-level model will have just 2GB. Google will provide customers with 100GB of cloud storage with Google Drive for free for 2 years.

Like other devices running Chrome OS, the Asus Chromebox is designed primarily to run web apps - although web apps have come a long way in recent years. You can do everything from editing multimedia projects to composing documents using web apps, and many Chrome apps can also be downloaded and saved for offline use so you can play games or edit documents even without an internet connection.

So far PC makers have offered more Chromebook laptops than Chromebox desktops. But Samsung has been offering Chrome desktops for a few years and LG recently introduced a ChromeStation all-in-one desktop. Asus seems to agree that Chrome is ready for desktop use - at least in some situations.

The company says the Asus Chromebox is aimed at "business, education, and home." It could make an interesting alternative to a Roku for streaming content from internet video sites, for instance. Or you could set it up as an inexpensive kiosk-style system by setting the homepage to a website or web app. Asus will include a VESA mount that you can use to attach the Chromebox to the back of a TV or monitor.

I suspect plenty of Liliputing readers will be interested for another reason: With a starting price of $179 and Chrome hardware's proven track record of allowing support for Ubuntu and other Linux distributions, this could be a small, cheap, hacker-friendly computer.

Asus will also offer optional accessories including a wireless keyboard and mouse.

The Asus Chromebox is expected to be available in North America in March.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  2. CatfishRivers

The Asus Chromebox with the Intel chip seems really cool. I have been using my Logitech Revue for over three years now and I like it - but I've been keeping an eye out for new products that I might possibly upgrade to from my Revue. The Asus Chromebox is not GTV - but it offers several things that I like such as good Flash & Chrome support along with support for the Chrome store (Chrome extensions).

If I had to make a choice right now - for my own personal needs I would choose the Asus Chromebox over any exsting GTV device currently on the market. (I don't have a cable box so the HDMI pass-through with GTV is not an important feature for me). I am still interested in seeing how the upcoming Hisense Pulse Pro Google TV box pans out (hopefully it doesn't turn into vaporware) - and if Google will actually release a Nexus TV box.

I feel more comfortable buying a Chromebox versus say a generic android TV box from China - because I feel more comfortable in knowing that Chrome OS is something Google is committed to supporting. There are some problems with firmware and lack of support from the generic Chinese android TV boxes/dongles. I don't have a PC and I'm not into running the custom ROMS and things like that. The Chromebox comes with automatic over-the-air updates and doesn't require an additional PC to install an update.

*Here's the link for the official Asus Chromebox web site with all the specs:

http://www.asus.com/us/News/xjbJtLA1HEyUSUeo

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  3. guest

guest Active Member

That Nexus TV will now be called the "Lenovo TV"! :)

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I would definitely buy one of these before buying one of the no-name Android mini-PCs but Windows is still the best operating system for a laptop for my needs. For $180, it is priced right although the options with better processors could be a better deal if the price differential isn't too great.

5. CatfishRivers

Good news - variety is the spice of life! -:)

HP Chromebox coming this spring - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - Feb. 6, 2014

-- HP will launch its first Chromebox this spring. The HP Chromebox is a small form factor desktop computer designed to run Chrome OS. Among other applications, HP and Google say it'll work in enterprise settings with the new Google for meetings video conferencing system.

The HP Chromebox features HDMI and DisplayPort (supporting up to two displays at once), WiFi and Bluetooth, and 4 USB 3.0 ports. It'll feature an Intel Haswell processor, with the high-end Chromebox for meetings model sporting a Core i7 chip.

HP plans to offer models in four colors including silver, turquoise, black, and white and each model will work with a standard VESA mount if you want to attach the little computer to the back of a display.

With the introduction of its first Chrome desktops, HP joins Asus and Samsung in the Chromebox space. Dell is also expected to launch a Chromebox in the coming months.

HP hasn't yet revealed the price for its new Chrome desktops, but the company already sells Chromebook laptops with 11.6 inch to 14 inch displays and Google's browser-based operating system for $280 and up.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  6. CatfishRivers

Google launches Chromebox for meetings: A $999 video conferencing system - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - Feb. 6, 2014

-- Google is launching a new video conferencing solution based on Chrome OS, Google+ Hangouts and Google Apps. It's called Chromebox for meetings, and it's a $999 package that companies can purchase to outfit a meeting room with video conferencing hardware or software at a fraction of the cost of some competing packages.

The kit currently includes an Asus Chromebox with an Intel Core i7 processor, an HD camera, mics speakers, and a remote control. Dell and HP plan to offer Chromeboxes that will support the platform in the next few months.

See more at: http://liliputing.com/2014/02/google-launches-chromebox-meetings-999-video-conferencing-system.html

7. CatfishRivers

Official Blog: Chromebox, now for simpler and better meetings (click for full Google blog)

Chromebox, now for simpler and better meetings

Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014

The best meetings are face-to-face-we can brainstorm openly, collaborate closely and make faster decisions. But these days, we often connect with each other from far-flung locations, coordinating time zones and dialing into conference calls from our phones. Meetings need to catch up with the way we work-they need to be face-to-face, easier to join, and available from anywhere and any device. Starting today, they can be: Any company can upgrade their meeting rooms with a new Chromebox, built on the Chrome principles of speed, simplicity and security.

Chromebox for meetings brings together Google+ Hangouts and Google Apps in an easy-to-manage Chromebox, making it simpler for any company to have high-definition video meetings. Here are a few highlights:

Instant meeting room. Chromebox for meetings comes with a blazing-fast Intel Core i7-based Chromebox, a high-definition camera, a combined microphone and speaker unit and a remote control. Set up your entire room in minutes and easily manage all meeting rooms from a web-based management console. All you need is the display in your room, and you're good to go.

Simpler and faster meetings. Walk into the room, click the remote once and you're instantly in the meeting. No more complex dial-in codes, passcodes or leader PINs. Share your laptop screen wirelessly, no need for any cords and adaptors. Integration with Google Apps makes it easy to invite others and add rooms to video meetings, directly from Google Calendar.

Meetings with anyone, anywhere. Up to 15 participants can join the video meeting from other conference rooms, their laptops, tablets or smartphones. Need to meet with a customer who doesn't use Chromebox for meetings? That's easy too-all they need is a Gmail account. You can also connect to rooms that have traditional video conferencing systems using a new tool from Vidyo, and participants who prefer phones can join your meeting with a conference call number from UberConference.

Chromebox for meetings is available in the U.S. today starting at $999, which includes the ASUS Chromebox and everything you need to get going. That means for the same price that companies have typically paid for one meeting room, they'll be able to outfit 10 rooms-or more. CDW and SYNNEX will help bring Chromebox for meetings to customers and resellers, and Chromeboxes from HP and Dell will be available for meetings in the coming months. Later this year, we plan to launch in Australia, Canada, France, Japan, New Zealand, Spain and the U.K.

Companies like Eventbrite, Gilt, oDesk and Woolworths have been testing Chromebox for meetings, and have told us that they love the simple setup, the ease of use, and being able to see their colleagues in other offices. More importantly, the low price will enable them to extend these benefits to even more employees, rooms and offices. Find out how Chromebox for meetings can help you and your coworkers see eye-to-eye. Happy meetings, everyone!

Posted by Caesar Sengupta, VP, Product Management

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  8. ChrisG8

Wow, these things are picking up steam, definitely worth looking at.

9. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Keep us posted on these Chrome Boxes cause I work some crazy hours and get all the latest from this group.Hopefully these second generation of Sony GTV's will see some update action some time this year.But some folks with the LG update aren't too happy.Just hope Google and partners keep the progress going but who knows.Even the competition sees the future in the Android OS and Chrome OS now that MSN has Google nipping at their heels.Apple products are high quality but a bit overpriced.I really enjoy the internet experience on the big screen!

10. CatfishRivers

Here ya go Mike -:)

With Chromebooks A Success, Google Adds Focus On Chromeboxes | TechCrunch (click for full article)

by Frederic Lardinois - Feb. 12, 2014

-- When you think ChromeOS, chances are the first thing that comes to mind are Chromebooks. Since 2012, though, Google and its hardware partners have also been quietly selling its Chromeboxes, the desktop equivalents of the ChromeOS laptops. Now that Chromebooks seem to have found their place, with very solid sales according to the latest data, the company is starting to put the Chromebox concept back into the spotlight and positioning it as a platform that goes beyond traditional desktop computing.

At the Digital Signage Expo in Las Vegas today, for example, Google is highlighting how Chromeboxes can power - you guessed it - digital signage. Making this work is pretty straightforward and goes a bit beyond the traditional kiosk mode Google has long enabled on ChromeOS. Developers can set ChromeOS up to run any Chrome App the moment the device starts.

See more at: http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/12/with-chromebooks-a-success-google-adds-focus-on-chromeboxes/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought the following paragraph from the article was interesting:

** Google is clearly starting to position the Chromebox as a platform. I wouldn't be surprised if the company decided to launch more niche products based on this platform in the future. There is no reason, for example, a Chromebox with the right interface couldn't make a good device for powering the big screen in your living room, for example. **

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  11. CatfishRivers

12. ChrisG8

These are going to be less expensive than an Intel NUC but I am still leaning towards the NUC. Since I am planning on continuing to make my laptop suffice for an HTPC for at least another year, I will follow how the Chromebox and NUC grow and evolve. I can't get a handle on how well I would like the Chrome OS and how much it will be able to do. I know I like Windows 7 and think a NUC running Windows 7 will handle what I want.

13. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Excellent points!

I love the idea of the Chromebook. But I would never invest in a system that limits me to Google or Chrome. I'd rather have Google Chrome as a web browser on a Win whatever PC. Even XP users were relieved to find that Chrome will continue to protect them even tho Microsoft will not. Microsoft no longer updating XP?

Have we finally entered the era of crazy...

Carl

14. overtimeman

This unit looks tempting!You can stream Netflix on just about anything these days so that's no problem.I guess I'll ride it out one more year with GTV and if Sony and the others have left their products to die on the vine,then I'll purchase one of these Chrome boxes as it will be great for internet surfing!Roku keeps adding apps/channels on their units so it doesn't get boring.Wonder if Google and partners never think things out ahead of product releases and let everyone be alpha/beta testers?By the end of the year other companies will have their version of Chome boxes out on the market and prices should level out.Yep there are a few apps I enjoy on GTV but they are slim pickings in the app store.Android or Chrome the general public just want an up to date product!

• Like Like x 2
  15. CatfishRivers

Also with the Chromebox you get tons of Chrome extensions from the Chrome store. Google TV doesn't support the Chrome Store - so IMO the Chrome Store support with Chromebox will likely make up for any loss of the relatively small amount of GTV optimized apps. And like you said Netflix and Amazon videos work with the Chromebox. Also the full desktop Hulu web site works with the Chromebox.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  16. CatfishRivers

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  17. CatfishRivers

18. CatfishRivers

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  19. overtimeman

Well I broke down and pre-ordered the Asus for $179 with free shipping from Tiger Direct.Seen some third party offers yesterday up on Amazon for $275 and now those are gone.Going to wait until the matching keyboard and mouse for the chrome box show up for purchase before I attempt to hook it up.Since the Asus supports the latest version of flash and HTML5 this will fill the gap between my GS7 and Roku.We really don't know the future for our second generation GTV since it isn't a big money maker for manufacturers.Since there is no time table for flash to go completely away and Adobe keeps upgrading it's version regularly I thought why not take the jump.My Apple I Pod is amazing for what it can do but the small screen size gets kinda old but hey it was given to me.Hopefully I didn't jump ahead of myself when all the other chrome boxes hits the market later on this year.Apps are nice but having the whole internet experience on the big screen is really the path I'm looking for.Maybe someone in the group will get their chrome box up and running and share their experience with us! :cool:

20. CatfishRivers

Hi Overtimeman. Please post a review of the Asus Chromebox after you've had a chance to use it for a while.

I'm thinking if I order the Chromebox I would prefer a keyboard with a trackpad instead of a separate mouse. I mostly use my Logitech Revue sitting in a chair (no desk) or laying down in bed at night. So I think a mouse is best for a person that mostly uses the device sitting at a desk?