Quantcast

ARM Introduces Cortex-A12 Chips For Mid-Range Phones, Tablets

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 3, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

ARM introduces Cortex-A12 chips for mid-range phones, tablets - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - June 3, 2013

"Chip designer ARM is taking aim at the low-to-mid range smartphone market with its new ARM Cortex-A12 platform.

The company figures we could see ARM Cortex-A12 chips in mobile devices that sell for between $200 and $350.

ARM figures we could see Cortex-A12 chips in upcoming smartphones, tablet, television boxes, networking devices, and other products.

While not as fast as Cortex-A15 chips like the new NVIDIA Tegra 4 or Samsung Exynos 5, chips based on the new Cortex-A12 design should offer about 40-percent better performance than Cortex-A9 chips like the Tegra 3, Exynos 4, or Rockchip RK3188.

Cortex-A12 chips will be available as single, dual, and quad-core chips based on ARMv7 architecture. They support up to 1TB of addressable memory, making the design pretty future-proof (for now).

ARM's new design also supports big.LITTLE technology, which allows chip makers to pair ARM Cortex-A12 CPU cores with lower-power processors cores based on ARM Cortex-A7 designs.

When you need all the performance your phone can offer, the higher-power CPU cores kick in. But for basic tasks, the lower-power cores take control in order to offer longer battery life. This is how Samsung's Exynos 5 Octa processor works... but with ARM's new design, we could see multi-core processors with big.LITTLE technology in smartphones.

ARM is also unveiling new graphics chip designs including the high-performance Mali-T622 GPU and energy-efficient Mali-V500 video processor which can handle 4K video playback at 120 frames per second in mid-range phones and tablets."

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

From the article:

"The company figures we could see ARM Cortex-A12 chips in mobile devices that sell for between $200 and $350."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm well I guess that pretty much rules out that GTV devices will see the ARM Cortex A-12. GTV boxes seem to be very price sensitive - with $99 being the sweet spot. The Sony NSZ-GS7 currently costs about $168 - co I suppose there's a slim chance that some super-duper "deluxe" GTV model could see the new ARM chip. However I do believe it's likely that this chip will be in some android TV boxes.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't think we will see the ARM Cortex A12 in the next gen Google TV but a chip that powerful should happen at some point in the not too distant future, maybe 2015 if Google TV catches on. A slight improvement to the Marvell Armada 1500 and 2GB of RAM is my hope for the next gen.

4. CatfishRivers

Yep that would be nice. I hope my Revue can live until then -;)

*Note: I just read in another article that the ARM Cortex-A12 won't actually start showing up in devices until late 2014 (see link below):

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...n-its-cpu-lineup-with-cortex-a12-due-in-2014/